The distributional effect of the rice policy in Japan, 1986–2010
This study aims to evaluate the distributional effect of the governmental rice policy in Japan on producers, consumers, and government expenditures from 1986 to 2010 using a partial equilibrium model. Policy measures include government purchase of rice, output payment, and acreage control. The simulation result shows that acreage control has been the principal policy measure for transferring income to producers, especially since the enforcement of the WTO Agreement on Agriculture. Acreage control is the policy measure with the lowest total efficiency and highest budgetary efficiency. This result implies that the government’s goal of transferring income to producers with minimum government cost has been achieved through a combination of policy measures.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wen S. Chern & Kimiko Ishibashi & Kiyoshi Taniguchi & Yuki Tokoyama, 2002. "Analysis of Food Consumption Behavior by Japanese Households," Working Papers 02-06, Agricultural and Development Economics Division of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO - ESA).
- Kako, Toshiyuki & Gemma, Masahiko & Ito, Shoichi, 1997. "Implications of the minimum access rice import on supply and demand balance of rice in Japan," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 16(3), August.
- Gail L. Cramer & James M. Hansen & Eric J. Wailes, 1999. "Impact of Rice Tariffication on Japan and the World Rice Market," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(5), pages 1149-1156.
- Alston, Julian M. & James, Jennifer S., 2002. "The incidence of agricultural policy," Handbook of Agricultural Economics,in: B. L. Gardner & G. C. Rausser (ed.), Handbook of Agricultural Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 33, pages 1689-1749 Elsevier.
- Choeun, Hong & Godo, Yoshihisa & Hayami, Yujiro, 2006. "The economics and politics of rice export taxation in Thailand: A historical simulation analysis, 1950-1985," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 103-125, February.
- Yujiro Hayami & Yoshihisa Godo, 1997.
"Economics and Politics of Rice Policy in Japan: A Perspective on the Uruguay Round,"
NBER Chapters,in: Regionalism versus Multilateral Trade Arrangements, NBER-EASE Volume 6, pages 371-404
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Yujiro Hayami & Yoshihisa Godo, 1995. "Economics and Politics of Rice Policy in Japan: A Perspective on the Uruguay Round," NBER Working Papers 5341, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kako, Toshiyuki & Gemma, Masahiko & Ito, Shoichi, 1997. "Implications of the minimum access rice import on supply and demand balance of rice in Japan," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 16(3), pages 193-204, August.
- Shoichi Ito & E. Wesley F. Peterson & Warren R. Grant, 1989. "Rice in Asia: Is It Becoming an Inferior Good?," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 71(1), pages 32-42.
- Chad E. Hart & John C. Beghin, 2004. "Rethinking Agricultural Domestic Support under the World Trade Organization," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 04-bp43, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Hart, Chad E. & Beghin, John C., 2006. "Rethinking Agricultural Domestic Support Under the World Trade Organization," Staff General Research Papers Archive 12510, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Chad E. Hart & John C. Beghin, 2004. "Rethinking Agricultural Domestic Support under the World Trade Organization," Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) Publications 04-bp43, Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) at Iowa State University.
- Takahashi, Daisuke & Honma, Masayoshi, 2009. "Evaluation of the Japanese Rice Policy Reforms under the WTO Agreement on Agriculture," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 51421, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Daisuke Takahashi, 2009. "Quantitative evaluation of the Japanese rice policy reforms under the WTO agreement on agriculture," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 29(2), pages 712-725.
- Hiroshi Fujiki, 2000. "Japanese Rice Market Liberalization: A Competitive Equilibrium Approach," The Japanese Economic Review, Japanese Economic Association, vol. 51(4), pages 492-518, December.
- Chinn, Dennis L., 1977. "Staple food control and industrial development in postwar Japan, 1950-1957 : The role of the black market," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 173-190, June.
- Keeney, Roman & Beckman, Jayson, 2009. "WTO negotiations on agriculture and the distributional impacts for US rice farm households," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 70-80, February.
- Nobuhiro Suzuki & Harry M. Kaiser, 1998. "Market impacts of Japanese rice policies with and without supply control," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(5), pages 355-362. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jfpoli:v:37:y:2012:i:6:p:679-689. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.