On Forward Induction and Evolutionary and Strategic Stability
We analyze which normal form solution concepts capture the notion of forward induction, as defined by van Damme (JET, 1989) in the class of generic two player normal form games preceded by an outside option. We find that none of the known strategic stability concepts (including Mertens stable sets and hyperstable sets) captures this form of forward induction. On the other hand, we show that the evolutionary concept of EES set (Swinkels, JET, 1992) is always consistent with forward induction.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- E. Kohlberg & J.-F. Mertens, 1998.
"On the Strategic Stability of Equilibria,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
445, David K. Levine.
- Ritzberger, Klaus, 1994. "The Theory of Normal Form Games form the Differentiable Viewpoint," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer, vol. 23(3), pages 207-36.
- Swinkels, Jeroen M., 1992.
"Evolutionary stability with equilibrium entrants,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 306-332, August.
- Swinkels, Jeroen M., 1992. "Evolution and strategic stability: From maynard smith to kohlberg and mertens," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 333-342, August.
- Ritzberger, Klaus & Weibull, Jorgen W, 1995.
"Evolutionary Selection in Normal-Form Games,"
Econometric Society, vol. 63(6), pages 1371-99, November.
- Hillas, John, 1990. "On the Definition of the Strategic Stability of Equilibria," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(6), pages 1365-90, November.
- Kreps, David M. & Wilson, Robert, 1982.
"Reputation and imperfect information,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 253-279, August.
- Robert Wilson & Srihari Govindan, 1997. "Uniqueness of the index for Nash equilibria of two-player games," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 10(3), pages 541-549.
- Mailath, George J & Samuelson, Larry & Swinkels, Jeroen M, 1993.
"Extensive Form Reasoning in Normal Form Games,"
Econometric Society, vol. 61(2), pages 273-302, March.
- Mailath, G.J. & Samuelson, L. & Swinkels, J., 1991. "extensive Form Reasoning in Normal Form Games," Papers 9130, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Mailath, G.J. & Samuelson, L. & Swinkels, J., 1990. "Extensive Form Reasoning In Normal Form Games," Working papers 90-13, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Mailath, G.J. & Samuelson, L. & Swinkels, J., 1990. "Extensive Form Reasoning In Normal Form Games," Papers 1-90-1, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- van Damme, E.E.C., 1989.
"Stable equilibria and forward induction,"
Other publications TiSEM
bd598a8f-f017-4cab-a9ed-8, School of Economics and Management.
- Basu, Kaushik & Weibull, Jorgen W., 1991.
"Strategy subsets closed under rational behavior,"
Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 141-146, June.
- repec:att:wimass:9529 is not listed on IDEAS
- Binmore, Ken & Samuelson, Larry, 1999. "Evolutionary Drift and Equilibrium Selection," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 66(2), pages 363-93, April.
- Gul, Faruk & Pearce, David G., 1996. "Forward Induction and Public Randomization," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 43-64, July.
- Binmore, K. & Samuelson, L., 1997.
"Evolutionary Drift and Equilibrium Selection,"
9729r, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Govindan, Srihari & Robson, Arthur J., 1998. "Forward Induction, Public Randomization, and Admissibility," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 82(2), pages 451-457, October.
- Matsui, Akihiko, 1992. "Best response dynamics and socially stable strategies," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 343-362, August.
- Govindan Srihari, 1995. "Stability and the Chain Store Paradox," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 66(2), pages 536-547, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jetheo:v:106:y:2002:i:1:p:66-90. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.