On Forward Induction and Evolutionary and Strategic Stability
We analyze which normal form solution concepts capture the notion of forward induction, as defined by van Damme (JET, 1989) in the class of generic two player normal form games preceded by an outside option. We find that none of the known strategic stability concepts (including Mertens stable sets and hyperstable sets) captures this form of forward induction. On the other hand, we show that the evolutionary concept of EES set (Swinkels, JET, 1992) is always consistent with forward induction.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kohlberg, Elon & Mertens, Jean-Francois, 1986.
"On the Strategic Stability of Equilibria,"
Econometric Society, vol. 54(5), pages 1003-1037, September.
- KOHLBERG, Elon & MERTENS, Jean-François, "undated". "On the strategic stability of equilibria," CORE Discussion Papers RP 716, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- E. Kohlberg & J.-F. Mertens, 1998. "On the Strategic Stability of Equilibria," Levine's Working Paper Archive 445, David K. Levine.
- Basu, K. & Weibull, J.W., 1990.
"Strategy Subsets Closed Under Rational Behaviour,"
479, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Hillas, John, 1990. "On the Definition of the Strategic Stability of Equilibria," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(6), pages 1365-1390, November.
- van Damme,Eric, 1987.
"Stable equilibria and forward induction,"
Discussion Paper Serie A
128, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Mailath, G.J. & Samuelson, L. & Swinkels, J., 1991.
"extensive Form Reasoning in Normal Form Games,"
9130, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Mailath, G.J. & Samuelson, L. & Swinkels, J., 1990. "Extensive Form Reasoning In Normal Form Games," Working papers 90-13, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Mailath, G.J. & Samuelson, L. & Swinkels, J., 1990. "Extensive Form Reasoning In Normal Form Games," Papers 1-90-1, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Mailath, G. & Samuelson, L. & Swinkels, J., 1991. "Extensive form reasoning in normal form games," Discussion Paper 1991-30, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Matsui, Akihiko, 1992. "Best response dynamics and socially stable strategies," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 343-362, August.
- Ritzberger, Klaus & Weibull, Jorgen W, 1995.
"Evolutionary Selection in Normal-Form Games,"
Econometric Society, vol. 63(6), pages 1371-1399, November.
- David Kreps & Robert Wilson, 1999.
"Reputation and Imperfect Information,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
238, David K. Levine.
- Robert Wilson & Srihari Govindan, 1997. "Uniqueness of the index for Nash equilibria of two-player games," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 10(3), pages 541-549.
- Gul, Faruk & Pearce, David G., 1996. "Forward Induction and Public Randomization," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 43-64, July.
- Swinkels, Jeroen M., 1992.
"Evolutionary stability with equilibrium entrants,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 306-332, August.
- Swinkels, Jeroen M., 1992. "Evolution and strategic stability: From maynard smith to kohlberg and mertens," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 333-342, August.
- Binmore, K. & Samuelson, L., 1995.
"Evolutionary Drift and Equilibrium Selection,"
9529, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Ken Binmore & Larry Samuelson, 1999. "Evolutionary Drift and Equilibrium Selection," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 66(2), pages 363-393.
- Ritzberger, Klaus, 1994. "The Theory of Normal Form Games form the Differentiable Viewpoint," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer;Game Theory Society, vol. 23(3), pages 207-236.
- Govindan Srihari, 1995. "Stability and the Chain Store Paradox," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 66(2), pages 536-547, August.
- Govindan, Srihari & Robson, Arthur J., 1998. "Forward Induction, Public Randomization, and Admissibility," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 82(2), pages 451-457, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jetheo:v:106:y:2002:i:1:p:66-90. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.