Commitment and compromise in bargaining
This paper studies observable and irrevocable commitment in bargaining. We investigate when commitment tactics can cause an impasse and when compromise is feasible. In the static model in which a player's commitment decision is made simultaneously with his choice of bargaining stance, compromise becomes unattainable (Ellingsen and Miettinen, 2008). We first analyze a static bargaining model, in which the players decide whether to attempt commitment after announcing their demands. In contrast to the aforementioned strong result, our model accommodates both incompatible commitments and compromises as equilibrium outcomes. We then extend our analysis to a dynamic setting. It is shown that compromise is possible if the players can alter their demands quickly and the chances of successful commitment are low.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tore Ellingsen & Topi Miettinen, 2008. "Commitment and Conflict in Bilateral Bargaining," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 98(4), pages 1629-1635, September.
- Muhamet Yildiz, 2003. "Bargaining without a Common Prior-An Immediate Agreement Theorem," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(3), pages 793-811, 05.
- Kambe, Shinsuke, 1999. "Bargaining with Imperfect Commitment," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 217-237, August.
- Chatterjee, Kalyan & Samuelson, Larry, 1990.
"Perfect Equilibria in Simultaneous-Offers Bargaining,"
International Journal of Game Theory,
Springer;Game Theory Society, vol. 19(3), pages 237-267.
- Chatterjee, K. & Samuelson, L., 1989. "Perfect Equilibria In Simultaneous- Offers Bargaining," Papers 12-87-3, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Muthoo, Abhinay, 1996. "A Bargaining Model Based on the Commitment Tactic," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 69(1), pages 134-152, April.
- Muthoo, Abhinay, 1993. "A Bargaining Model Based on the Commitment Tactic," Economics Discussion Papers 10019, University of Essex, Department of Economics.
- Crawford, Vincent P, 1982. "A Theory of Disagreement in Bargaining," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(3), pages 607-637, May. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)