The impact of social norms on entrepreneurial action: Evidence from the environmental entrepreneurship context
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Gachter, Simon & Herrmann, Benedikt & Thoni, Christian, 2004. "Trust, voluntary cooperation, and socio-economic background: survey and experimental evidence," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 55(4), pages 505-531, December.
- Steven Shavell & A. Mitchell Polinsky, 2000. "The Economic Theory of Public Enforcement of Law," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 38(1), pages 45-76, March.
- Oses-Eraso, Nuria & Viladrich-Grau, Montserrat, 2007. "On the sustainability of common property resources," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 53(3), pages 393-410, May.
- Sobel, Russell S., 2008.
"Testing Baumol: Institutional quality and the productivity of entrepreneurship,"
Journal of Business Venturing,
Elsevier, vol. 23(6), pages 641-655, November.
- Russell S. Sobel, 2006. "Testing Baumol: Institutional Quality and the Productivity of Entrepreneurship," Working Papers 06-06 Classification-, Department of Economics, West Virginia University.
- Baumol, William J., 1996.
"Entrepreneurship: Productive, unproductive, and destructive,"
Journal of Business Venturing,
Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 3-22, January.
- Baumol, William J, 1990. "Entrepreneurship: Productive, Unproductive, and Destructive," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(5), pages 893-921, October.
- KruegerJR, Norris F. & Reilly, Michael D. & Carsrud, Alan L., 2000. "Competing models of entrepreneurial intentions," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 15(5-6), pages 411-432.
- repec:cup:apsrev:v:86:y:1992:i:02:p:338-356_08 is not listed on IDEAS
- Rao, Hayagreeva, 2004. "Institutional activism in the early American automobile industry," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 359-384, May.
- McGrath, Rita Gunther & MacMillan, Ian C., 1992. "More like each other than anyone else? A cross-cultural study of entrepreneurial perceptions," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 7(5), pages 419-429, September.
- Cohen, Boyd & Winn, Monika I., 2007. "Market imperfections, opportunity and sustainable entrepreneurship," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 29-49, January.
- repec:cup:apsrev:v:92:y:1998:i:01:p:1-22_20 is not listed on IDEAS
- Anisya S Thomas & Stephen L Mueller, 2000. "A Case for Comparative Entrepreneurship: Assessing the Relevance of Culture," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 31(2), pages 287-301, June.
- Davidsson, Per & Wiklund, Johan, 1997. "Values, beliefs and regional variations in new firm formation rates," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 18(2-3), pages 179-199, April.
- Torgler, Benno & Garcia-Valinas, Maria A., 2007.
"The determinants of individuals' attitudes towards preventing environmental damage,"
Elsevier, vol. 63(2-3), pages 536-552, August.
- Benno Torgler & Maria A. Garcia-Valiñas, 2005. "The Determinants of Individuals’ Attitudes Towards Preventing Environmental Damage," Working Papers 2005.110, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- E. Ostrom, 2010.
"A Behavioral Approach to the Rational Choice Theory of Collective Action Presidential Address, American political Science Association, 1997,"
Public administration issues,
Higher School of Economics, issue 1, pages 5-52.
- Ostrom, Elinor, 1998. "A Behavioral Approach to the Rational Choice Theory of Collective Action: Presidential Address, American Political Science Association, 1997," American Political Science Review, Cambridge University Press, vol. 92(01), pages 1-22, March.
- Peyton Young, H., 1998. "Social norms and economic welfare1," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 42(3-5), pages 821-830, May.
- Elster, Jon, 1989. "Social Norms and Economic Theory," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 3(4), pages 99-117, Fall.
- Elinor Ostrom, 2000. "Collective Action and the Evolution of Social Norms," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 14(3), pages 137-158, Summer.
- de Bettignies, Jean-Etienne & Brander, James A., 2007. "Financing entrepreneurship: Bank finance versus venture capital," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 22(6), pages 808-832, November.
- R. Glenn Hubbard & William M. Gentry, 2000. "Tax Policy and Entrepreneurial Entry," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(2), pages 283-287, May.
- Michael E. Porter & Claas van der Linde, 1995. "Toward a New Conception of the Environment-Competitiveness Relationship," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 9(4), pages 97-118, Fall.
- Atkinson, Scott & Tietenberg, Tom, 1991. "Market failure in incentive-based regulation: The case of emissions trading," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 17-31, July.
- Douglass C. North, 2005. "Introduction to Understanding the Process of Economic Change," Introductory Chapters,in: Understanding the Process of Economic Change Princeton University Press.
- Michihiro Kandori, 1992. "Social Norms and Community Enforcement," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 59(1), pages 63-80.
- Blanchflower, David G & Meyer, Bruce D, 1994. "A Longitudinal Analysis of the Young Self-Employed in Australia and the United States," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 6(1), pages 1-19, February.
- John McMillan & Christopher Woodruff, 2002. "The Central Role of Entrepreneurs in Transition Economies," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 16(3), pages 153-170, Summer.
- Dean, Thomas J. & McMullen, Jeffery S., 2007. "Toward a theory of sustainable entrepreneurship: Reducing environmental degradation through entrepreneurial action," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 50-76, January.
- Suzanne Scotchmer, 2006. "Innovation and Incentives," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262693437, January.
- Robert Cialdini, 2007. "Descriptive Social Norms as Underappreciated Sources of Social Control," Psychometrika, Springer;The Psychometric Society, vol. 72(2), pages 263-268, June.
- Kennedy, Bruce P. & Kawachi, Ichiro & Prothrow-Stith, Deborah & Lochner, Kimberly & Gupta, Vanita, 1998. "Social capital, income inequality, and firearm violent crime," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 7-17, July.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Diana M. Hechavarría & Siri A. Terjesen & Amy E. Ingram & Maija Renko & Rachida Justo & Amanda Elam, 2017. "Taking care of business: the impact of culture and gender on entrepreneurs’ blended value creation goals," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 48(1), pages 225-257, January.
- Heshmati, Almas, 2015.
"A Review of the Circular Economy and its Implementation,"
IZA Discussion Papers
9611, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Heshmati, Almas, 2016. "A Review of the Circular Economy and its Implementation," Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation 431, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- Walter, Sascha G. & Block, Jörn H., 2016. "Outcomes of entrepreneurship education: An institutional perspective," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 216-233.
- Marra, Alessandro & Antonelli, Paola & Dell’Anna, Luca & Pozzi, Cesare, 2015. "A network analysis using metadata to investigate innovation in clean-tech – Implications for energy policy," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 86(C), pages 17-26.
- O'Neil, Isobel & Ucbasaran, Deniz, 2016. "Balancing “what matters to me” with “what matters to them”: Exploring the legitimation process of environmental entrepreneurs," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 133-152.
- Jacob Hörisch & Jana Kollat & Steven A. Brieger, 2017. "What influences environmental entrepreneurship? A multilevel analysis of the determinants of entrepreneurs’ environmental orientation," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 48(1), pages 47-69, January.
- Theodore L. Waldron & Greg Fisher & Michael Pfarrer, 2016. "How Social Entrepreneurs Facilitate the Adoption of New Industry Practices We thank guest editor Gideon Markman and the reviewers for their exceptional guidance during the review process. We also than," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(5), pages 821-845, July.
- repec:spr:jglont:v:7:y:2017:i:1:d:10.1186_s40497-017-0085-z is not listed on IDEAS
- Muñoz, Pablo & Dimov, Dimo, 2015. "The call of the whole in understanding the development of sustainable ventures," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 632-654.
- Walter, Sascha G. & Schmidt, Arne & Walter, Achim, 2016. "Patenting rationales of academic entrepreneurs in weak and strong organizational regimes," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 533-545.
- repec:eur:ejmsjr:215 is not listed on IDEAS
- Zhang, Wei & White, Steven, 2016. "Overcoming the liability of newness: Entrepreneurial action and the emergence of China's private solar photovoltaic firms," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 45(3), pages 604-617.
- Clay Dibrell & Justin Craig & Jaemin Kim & Aaron Johnson, 2015. "Establishing How Natural Environmental Competency, Organizational Social Consciousness, and Innovativeness Relate," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 127(3), pages 591-605, March.
- Tang, Zhi & Tang, Jintong, 2012. "Stakeholder–firm power difference, stakeholders' CSR orientation, and SMEs' environmental performance in China," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 436-455.
- Jeffrey G. York & Michael J. Lenox, 2014. "Exploring the sociocultural determinants of de novo versus de alio entry in emerging industries," Strategic Management Journal, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(13), pages 1930-1951, December.
- Shirokova Galina & Knatko Dmitri & Vega Gina, 2013. "To Be or Not to Be: When Should a Threshold Firm in an Emerging Market Move to Professional Management?," EERC Working Paper Series 13/01e, EERC Research Network, Russia and CIS.
- Klyver, Kim & Nielsen, Suna Løwe & Evald, Majbritt Rostgaard, 2013. "Women's self-employment: An act of institutional (dis)integration? A multilevel, cross-country study," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 474-488.
- Eesley, Charles & Wang, Yanbo, 2017. "Social influence in career choice: Evidence from a randomized field experiment on entrepreneurial mentorship," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 636-650.
- repec:eee:jbvent:v:32:y:2017:i:5:p:569-587 is not listed on IDEAS
- Wood, Matthew S. & Williams, David W. & Drover, Will, 2017. "Past as prologue: Entrepreneurial inaction decisions and subsequent action judgments," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 107-127.
- Richard A. Hunt & Bret R. Fund, 2016. "Intergenerational Fairness and the Crowding Out Effects of Well-Intended Environmental Policies," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(5), pages 878-910, July.
- Hall, Jeremy K. & Daneke, Gregory A. & Lenox, Michael J., 2010. "Sustainable development and entrepreneurship: Past contributions and future directions," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 439-448, September.
- Ding, Zhujun & Au, Kevin & Chiang, Flora, 2015. "Social trust and angel investors' decisions: A multilevel analysis across nations," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 307-321.
- Shirokova, Galina V. & Sokolova, Liubov S., 2013. "Exploring the Antecedents of Entrepreneurial Orientation in Russian SMEs: The Role of Institutional Environment," Working Papers 819, Graduate School of Management, St. Petersburg State University.
More about this item
KeywordsSustainability Environmental entrepreneurship Social norms Incentives Public institutions;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jbvent:v:25:y:2010:i:5:p:493-509. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jbusvent .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.