The effect of incentives on customer evaluations of service bundles
Effects of service bundle incentives on perceived value, search intentions, and switching intentions are assessed in two independent studies. The first study demonstrates that service bundling influences switching and search intentions through perceived value. Results related to bundle incentives support the salience of the convenience associated with consolidating charges onto one bill. Further analysis reveals that explicit valuation of savings creates higher perceived value than convenience alone; however, search and switching intentions are unaffected by incentives or valuation thereof beyond the convenience effect. A second study replicates key parts of these results. Research and practical implications are discussed.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lichtenstein, Donald R & Bearden, William O, 1989. " Contextual Influences on Perceptions of Merchant-Supplied Reference Prices," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 16(1), pages 55-66, June.
- Puto, Christopher P, 1987. " The Framing of Buying Decisions," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 14(3), pages 301-15, December.
- Chandrashekaran, Rajesh & Grewal, Dhruv, 2006. "Anchoring effects of advertised reference price and sale price: The moderating role of saving presentation format," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 59(10-11), pages 1063-1071, October.
- Simonin, Bernard L. & Ruth, Julie A., 1995. "Bundling as a strategy for new product introduction: Effects on consumers' reservation prices for the bundle, the new product, and its tie-in," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 219-230, July.
- Robert C. Blattberg & Richard Briesch & Edward J. Fox, 1995. "How Promotions Work," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 14(3_supplem), pages G122-G132.
- Hauser, John R & Wernerfelt, Birger, 1990. " An Evaluation Cost Model of Consideration Sets," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 16(4), pages 393-408, March.
- Bolton, Ruth N & Drew, James H, 1991. " A Multistage Model of Customers' Assessments of Service Quality and Value," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 17(4), pages 375-84, March.
- Adams, William James & Yellen, Janet L, 1976. "Commodity Bundling and the Burden of Monopoly," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 90(3), pages 475-98, August.
- Ruiz, David Martín & Gremler, Dwayne D. & Washburn, Judith H. & Carrión, Gabriel Cepeda, 2008. "Service value revisited: Specifying a higher-order, formative measure," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 61(12), pages 1278-1291, December.
- Lastovicka, John L, et al, 1999. " Lifestyle of the Tight and Frugal: Theory and Measurement," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 26(1), pages 85-98, June.
- Finney, R. Zachary & Lueg, Jason E. & Campbell, Noel D., 2008. "Market pioneers, late movers, and the resource-based view (RBV): A conceptual model," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 61(9), pages 925-932, September.
- Hightower, Roscoe Jr & Brady, Michael K. & Baker, Thomas L., 2002. "Investigating the role of the physical environment in hedonic service consumption: an exploratory study of sporting events," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 55(9), pages 697-707, September.
- Peter M. Guadagni & John D. C. Little, 1983. "A Logit Model of Brand Choice Calibrated on Scanner Data," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 2(3), pages 203-238.
- Brodie, Roderick J. & Whittome, James R.M. & Brush, Gregory J., 2009. "Investigating the service brand: A customer value perspective," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 62(3), pages 345-355, March.
- Harlam, Bari A. & Krishna, Aradhna & Lehmann, Donald R. & Mela, Carl, 1995. "Impact of bundle type, price framing and familiarity on purchase intention for the bundle," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 57-66, May.
- Agarwal, Manoj K., 2002. "Asymmetric price effects in the telecommunications services markets," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 55(8), pages 671-677, August.
- Yadav, Manjit S, 1994. " How Buyers Evaluate Product Bundles: A Model of Anchoring and Adjustment," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 21(2), pages 342-53, September.
- Scott A. Neslin & Caroline Henderson & John Quelch, 1985. "Consumer Promotions and the Acceleration of Product Purchases," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 4(2), pages 147-165.
- Kaicker, Ajit & Bearden, William O. & Manning, Kenneth C., 1995. "Component versus bundle pricing : The role of selling price deviations from price expectations," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 231-239, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jbrese:v:63:y:2010:i:1:p:71-76. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.