Brand extension feedback: The role of advertising
Firms often use brand extensions as a way of introducing their new products, although they also risk diluting their brand image. In order to understand how consumers assess extensions and extended brands, the present work proposes and estimates a theoretical model, using the structural equation methodology. The results of the estimation indicate that the attitude towards the extension influences brand image and that this attitude is a consequence of the initial brand beliefs and the coherence of the new product. A multisample analysis also reveals that favoring the introduction of extensions through adequate advertising constitutes an efficient way of protecting brand image.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sheinin, Daniel A. & Schmitt, Bernd H., 1994. "Extending brands with new product concepts: The role of category attribute congruity, brand affect, and brand breadth," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 1-10, September.
- Sandor Czellar, 2003. "Consumer attitude toward brand extensions : An Integrative Model and Research Propositions," Post-Print hal-00480357, HAL.
- Bhat, Sobodh & Reddy, Srinivas K., 2001. "The impact of parent brand attribute associations and affect on brand extension evaluation," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 53(3), pages 111-122, September.
- Barone, Michael J & Miniard, Paul W & Romeo, Jean B, 2000. " The Influence of Positive Mood on Brand Extension Evaluations," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 26(4), pages 386-400, March.
- Ruyter Ko de & Wetzels Martin, 2000. "The Role of Corporate Image and Extension Similarity in Service Brand Extensions," Research Memorandum 005, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Park, C Whan & Milberg, Sandra & Lawson, Robert, 1991. " Evaluation of Brand Extensions: The Role of Product Feature Similarity and Brand Concept Consistency," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 18(2), pages 185-93, September.
- Hoyer, Wayne D & Brown, Steven P, 1990. " Effects of Brand Awareness on Choice for a Common, Repeat-Purchase Product," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 17(2), pages 141-48, September.
- Keller, Kevin Lane, 2003. " Brand Synthesis: The Multidimensionality of Brand Knowledge," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 29(4), pages 595-600, March.
- Swaminathan, Vanitha, 2003. "Sequential brand extensions and brand choice behavior," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 56(6), pages 431-442, June.
- Lemmink, Jos & Schuijf, Annelien & Streukens, Sandra, 2003. "The role of corporate image and company employment image in explaining application intentions," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 1-15, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jbrese:v:62:y:2009:i:3:p:305-313. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.