Performance evaluation of optimized portfolio insurance strategies
We use S&P 500 index return data for the time period 1985–2013 to evaluate the performance of portfolio insurance strategies. We shed light on the question if the performance of a constant proportion portfolio insurance (CPPI) strategy can be improved by means of a time-varying multiplier which depends on the estimated future volatility. Neglecting any inter-temporal hedging demand, the theoretical foundation of the strategies is given by maximizing the expected utility of a HARA investor in a diffusion model setup. If the risk premium is assumed to be proportional to the variance, the optimal strategy is a CPPI strategy. Otherwise, the multiple is time-varying (PPI). It turns out that even time-varying multiple strategies based on a rolling window of historical volatility estimates give a significant improvement of CPPI strategies. The out-performance is robust w.r.t. alternative performance measures and is also true for proportional transaction costs and adequate trigger trading.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Donatien Hainaut & Renaud MacGilchrist, 2012. "Strategic asset allocation with switching dependence," Annals of Finance, Springer, vol. 8(1), pages 75-96, February.
- Grossman, S.J. & Vila, J-L., 1988.
"Portfolio Insurance In Complete Markets: A Note,"
94, Princeton, Department of Economics - Financial Research Center.
- Hamidi, Benjamin & Maillet, Bertrand & Prigent, Jean-Luc, 2014.
"A dynamic autoregressive expectile for time-invariant portfolio protection strategies,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 46(C), pages 1-29.
- Benjamin Hamidi & Bertrand Maillet & Jean-Luc Prigent, 2014. "A Dynamic AutoRegressive Expectile for Time-Invariant Portfolio Protection Strategies," Working Papers halshs-01015390, HAL.
- Benjamin HAMIDI & Bertrand MAILLET & Jean-Luc PRIGENT, 2013. "A Dynamic AutoRegressive Expectile for Time-Invariant Portfolio Protection Strategies," LEO Working Papers / DR LEO 164, Orleans Economics Laboratory / Laboratoire d'Economie d'Orleans (LEO), University of Orleans.
- Benjamin Hamidi & Bertrand Maillet & Jean-Luc Prigent, 2014. "A Dynamic AutoRegressive Expectile for Time-Invariant Portfolio Protection Strategies," Working Papers 2014-131, Department of Research, Ipag Business School.
- Branger, Nicole & Schlag, Christian & Schneider, Eva, 2008. "Optimal portfolios when volatility can jump," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(6), pages 1087-1097, June.
- Basak, Suleyman, 2002. "A comparative study of portfolio insurance," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 26(7-8), pages 1217-1241, July.
- Merton, Robert C, 1973. "An Intertemporal Capital Asset Pricing Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 41(5), pages 867-87, September.
- Engle, Robert F & Lilien, David M & Robins, Russell P, 1987. "Estimating Time Varying Risk Premia in the Term Structure: The Arch-M Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 391-407, March.
- Campbell, John Y. & Viceira, Luis M., 2002. "Strategic Asset Allocation: Portfolio Choice for Long-Term Investors," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198296942, June.
- Louis Paulot & Xavier Lacroze, 2009. "Efficient Pricing of CPPI using Markov Operators," Papers 0901.1218, arXiv.org.
- Whitelaw, Robert F, 2000. "Stock Market Risk and Return: An Equilibrium Approach," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 13(3), pages 521-47.
- R. C. Merton, 1970.
"Optimum Consumption and Portfolio Rules in a Continuous-time Model,"
58, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Merton, Robert C., 1971. "Optimum consumption and portfolio rules in a continuous-time model," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 373-413, December.
- Brennan, Michael J. & Schwartz, Eduardo S., 1976. "The pricing of equity-linked life insurance policies with an asset value guarantee," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 195-213, June.
- Lan-chih Ho & John Cadle & Michael Theobald, 2011. "An analysis of risk-based asset allocation and portfolio insurance strategies," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 36(2), pages 247-267, February.
- Christian Pedersen & Stephen Satchell, 2002. "On the foundation of performance measures under asymmetric returns," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 2(3), pages 217-223.
- Muck, Matthias, 2010. "Trading strategies with partial access to the derivatives market," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 1288-1298, June.
- Jun Liu & Francis A. Longstaff & Jun Pan, 2003.
"Dynamic Asset Allocation with Event Risk,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 58(1), pages 231-259, 02.
- Liu, Jun & Longstaff, Francis & Pan, Jun, 2001. "Dynamic Asset Allocation with Event Risk," University of California at Los Angeles, Anderson Graduate School of Management qt9fm6t5nb, Anderson Graduate School of Management, UCLA.
- Jun Liu & Francis A. Longstaff & Jun Pan, 2002. "Dynamic Asset Allocation With Event Risk," NBER Working Papers 9103, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nelson, Daniel B, 1991. "Conditional Heteroskedasticity in Asset Returns: A New Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(2), pages 347-70, March.
- Gray, Stephen F., 1996.
"Modeling the conditional distribution of interest rates as a regime-switching process,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 27-62, September.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Gray's 1996 Regime Switching GARCH paper," Statistical Software Components RTZ00080, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Kim, Tong Suk & Omberg, Edward, 1996. "Dynamic Nonmyopic Portfolio Behavior," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 9(1), pages 141-61.
- Benjamin Hamidi & Bertrand Maillet & Jean-Luc Prigent, 2009.
"A Risk Management Approach for Portfolio Insurance Strategies,"
Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne
09034, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- Benjamin Hamidi & Bertrand Maillet & Jean-Luc Prigent, 2009. "A Risk Management Approach for Portfolio Insurance Strategies," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00389789, HAL.
- Franc Klaassen, 2002. "Improving GARCH volatility forecasts with regime-switching GARCH," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 27(2), pages 363-394.
- Annaert, Jan & Osselaer, Sofieke Van & Verstraete, Bert, 2009. "Performance evaluation of portfolio insurance strategies using stochastic dominance criteria," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 272-280, February.
- Black, Fischer & Perold, AndreF., 1992. "Theory of constant proportion portfolio insurance," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 16(3-4), pages 403-426.
- Cesari, Riccardo & Cremonini, David, 2003. "Benchmarking, portfolio insurance and technical analysis: a Monte Carlo comparison of dynamic strategies of asset allocation," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 27(6), pages 987-1011, April.
- Nicholas Barberis, 2000. "Investing for the Long Run when Returns Are Predictable," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(1), pages 225-264, 02.
- repec:hal:journl:halshs-00389789 is not listed on IDEAS
- Dierkes, Maik & Erner, Carsten & Zeisberger, Stefan, 2010. "Investment horizon and the attractiveness of investment strategies: A behavioral approach," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 1032-1046, May.
- Jiang, Chonghui & Ma, Yongkai & An, Yunbi, 2009. "The effectiveness of the VaR-based portfolio insurance strategy: An empirical analysis," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 185-197, September.
- Rama Cont & Peter Tankov, 2009. "Constant Proportion Portfolio Insurance In The Presence Of Jumps In Asset Prices," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 19(3), pages 379-401.
- Marcucci Juri, 2005. "Forecasting Stock Market Volatility with Regime-Switching GARCH Models," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 9(4), pages 1-55, December.
- Gerrit Reher & Bernd Wilfling, 2011. "Markov-switching GARCH models in finance: a unifying framework with an application to the German stock market," CQE Working Papers 1711, Center for Quantitative Economics (CQE), University of Muenster.
- Balder, Sven & Brandl, Michael & Mahayni, Antje, 2009. "Effectiveness of CPPI strategies under discrete-time trading," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 204-220, January.
- Pierre‐André Chiappori & Monica Paiella, 2011.
"Relative Risk Aversion Is Constant: Evidence From Panel Data,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
European Economic Association, vol. 9(6), pages 1021-1052, December.
- Pierre-André Chiappori & Monica Paiella, 2008. "Relative Risk Aversion Is Constant: Evidence from Panel Data," Discussion Papers 5_2008, D.E.S. (Department of Economic Studies), University of Naples "Parthenope", Italy.
- Sanford J. Grossman & Zhongquan Zhou, 1993. "Optimal Investment Strategies For Controlling Drawdowns," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 3(3), pages 241-276.
- Zakamouline, Valeri & Koekebakker, Steen, 2009. "Portfolio performance evaluation with generalized Sharpe ratios: Beyond the mean and variance," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(7), pages 1242-1254, July.
- Bertrand, Philippe & Prigent, Jean-luc, 2011. "Omega performance measure and portfolio insurance," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(7), pages 1811-1823, July.
- Henry, Ólan T., 2009. "Regime switching in the relationship between equity returns and short-term interest rates in the UK," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 405-414, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jbfina:v:43:y:2014:i:c:p:212-225. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.