Efficient Pricing of CPPI using Markov Operators
Constant Proportion Portfolio Insurance (CPPI) is a strategy designed to give participation in a risky asset while protecting the invested capital. Some gap risk due to extreme events is often kept by the issuer of the product: a put option on the CPPI strategy is included in the product. In this paper we present a new method for the pricing of CPPIs and options on CPPIs, which is much faster and more accurate than the usual Monte-Carlo method. Provided the underlying follows a homogeneous process, the path-dependent CPPI strategy is reformulated into a Markov process in one variable, which allows to use efficient linear algebra techniques. Tail events, which are crucial in the pricing are handled smoothly. We incorporate in this framework linear thresholds, profit lock-in, performance coupons... The American exercise of open-ended CPPIs is handled naturally through backward propagation. Finally we use our pricing scheme to study the influence of various features on the gap risk of CPPI strategies.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rama Cont & Peter Tankov, 2009.
"Constant proportion portfolio insurance in presence of jumps in asset prices,"
- Rama Cont & Peter Tankov, 2007. "Constant Proportion Portfolio Insurance in presence of Jumps in Asset Prices," Working Papers hal-00129413, HAL.
- Albanese, Claudio, 2006. "Operator Methods, Abelian Processes And Dynamic Conditioning," MPRA Paper 5246, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 06 Nov 2007.
- S. G. Kou, 2002. "A Jump-Diffusion Model for Option Pricing," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 48(8), pages 1086-1101, August.
- P. Bertrand & J.L. Prigent, 2000. "Portfolio Insurance : The extreme Value of the CCPI Method," THEMA Working Papers 2000-49, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:arx:papers:0901.1218. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.