Varying risk premia in international bond markets
Cochrane and Piazzesi [Cochrane, J.H., Piazzesi, M., 2005. Bond risk premia. American Economic Review 95, 138-160] use forward rates to forecast future bond returns. We extend their approach by applying their model to international bond markets. Our results indicate that the unrestricted Cochrane and Piazzesi (2005) model has a reasonable forecasting power for future bond returns. The restricted model, however, does not perform as well on an international level. Furthermore, we cannot confirm the systematic tent shape of the estimated parameters found by Cochrane and Piazzesi (2005). The forecasting models are used to implement various trading strategies. These strategies exhibit high information ratios when implemented in individual countries or on an international level and outperform alternative approaches. We introduce an alternative specification to forecast future bond returns and achieve superior risk-adjusted returns in our trading strategy. Bayesian model averaging is used to enhance the performance of the proposed trading strategy.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wayne E. Ferson & Sergei Sarkissian & Timothy T. Simin, 2003.
"Spurious Regressions in Financial Economics?,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 58(4), pages 1393-1414, 08.
- Kotomin, Vladimir & Smith, Stanley D. & Winters, Drew B., 2008. "Preferred habitat for liquidity in international short-term interest rates," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 240-250, February.
- Duarte, Jefferson & Longstaff, Francis A. & Yu, Fan, 2005. "Risk and Return in Fixed Income Arbitage: Nickels in Front of a Steamroller?," University of California at Los Angeles, Anderson Graduate School of Management qt6zx6m7fp, Anderson Graduate School of Management, UCLA.
- Jegadeesh, Narasimhan & Titman, Sheridan, 1993. " Returns to Buying Winners and Selling Losers: Implications for Stock Market Efficiency," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(1), pages 65-91, March.
- Francis X. Diebold & Canlin Li & Vivian Z. Yue, 2007.
"Global Yield Curve Dynamics and Interactions: A Dynamic Nelson-Siegel Approach,"
PIER Working Paper Archive
07-030, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
- Diebold, Francis X. & Li, Canlin & Yue, Vivian Z., 2008. "Global yield curve dynamics and interactions: A dynamic Nelson-Siegel approach," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 146(2), pages 351-363, October.
- Diebold, Francis X. & Li, Canlin & Yue, Vivian Z., 2007. "Global yield curve dynamics and interactions: A dynamic Nelson-Siegel approach," CFS Working Paper Series 2008/27, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Francis X. Diebold & Canlin Li & Vivian Z. Yue, 2007. "Global Yield Curve Dynamics and Interactions: A Dynamic Nelson-Siegel Approach," NBER Working Papers 13588, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sydney C. Ludvigson & Serena Ng, 2009.
"Macro Factors in Bond Risk Premia,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 22(12), pages 5027-5067, December.
- Francis X. Diebold & Canlin Li, 2003.
"Forecasting the Term Structure of Government Bond Yields,"
NBER Working Papers
10048, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Diebold, Francis X. & Li, Canlin, 2006. "Forecasting the term structure of government bond yields," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 130(2), pages 337-364, February.
- Diebold, Francis X. & Li, Canlin, 2003. "Forecasting the term structure of government bond yields," CFS Working Paper Series 2004/09, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Francis X. Diebold & Canlin Li, 2002. "Forecasting the Term Structure of Government Bond Yields," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 02-34, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Meredith J. Beechey & Erik Hjalmarsson & Par Osterholm, 2008.
"Testing the expectations hypothesis when interest rates are near integrated,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
953, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Beechey, Meredith & Hjalmarsson, Erik & sterholm, Pr, 2009. "Testing the expectations hypothesis when interest rates are near integrated," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 934-943, May.
- Lehmann, Bruce N, 1990. "Fads, Martingales, and Market Efficiency," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 105(1), pages 1-28, February.
- Bruce N. Lehmann, 1988. "Fads, Martingales, and Market Efficiency," NBER Working Papers 2533, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nam, Kiseok & Washer, Kenneth M. & Chu, Quentin C., 2005. "Asymmetric return dynamics and technical trading strategies," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 391-418, February.
- Stambaugh, Robert F., 1988. "The information in forward rates : Implications for models of the term structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 41-70, May.
- Ravi Bansal & George Tauchen & Hao Zhou, 2004.
"Regime Shifts, Risk Premiums in the Term Structure, and the Business Cycle,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 22, pages 396-409, October.
- Ravi Bansal & George Tauchen & Hao Zhou, 2003. "Regime-shifts, risk premiums in the term structure, and the business cycle," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2003-21, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Andrew Ang & Monika Piazzesi, 2001.
"A No-Arbitrage Vector Autoregression of Term Structure Dynamics with Macroeconomic and Latent Variables,"
NBER Working Papers
8363, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ang, Andrew & Piazzesi, Monika, 2003. "A no-arbitrage vector autoregression of term structure dynamics with macroeconomic and latent variables," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(4), pages 745-787, May.
- John H. Cochrane & Monika Piazzesi, 2002.
"Bond Risk Premia,"
NBER Working Papers
9178, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Diebold, Francis X. & Rudebusch, Glenn D. & Borag[caron]an Aruoba, S., 2006.
"The macroeconomy and the yield curve: a dynamic latent factor approach,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 131(1-2), pages 309-338.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Diebold,Rudebusch,Aruoba 2006 factor model," Statistical Software Components RTZ00047, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Francis X. Diebold & Glenn D. Rudebusch & S. Boragan Aruoba, 2004. "The Macroeconomy and the Yield Curve: A Dynamic Latent Factor Approach," NBER Working Papers 10616, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Almeida, Caio & Vicente, José, 2008.
"The role of no-arbitrage on forecasting: Lessons from a parametric term structure model,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 32(12), pages 2695-2705, December.
- Almeida, Caio Ibsen Rodrigues de & Vicente, José Valentim M., 2007. "The Role of No-Arbitrage on Forecasting: Lessons from a Parametric Term Structure Model," Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE) 657, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Wang, Changyun & Yu, Min, 2004. "Trading activity and price reversals in futures markets," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(6), pages 1337-1361, June.
- Landschoot, Astrid Van, 2008. "Determinants of yield spread dynamics: Euro versus US dollar corporate bonds," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(12), pages 2597-2605, December.
- Nelson, Charles R & Siegel, Andrew F, 1987. "Parsimonious Modeling of Yield Curves," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 60(4), pages 473-89, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jbfina:v:33:y:2009:i:8:p:1361-1375. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.