Term structure information and bond strategies
We examine term structure theories by using a novel approach. We form bond investment strategies based on different theories of the term structure in order to determine which strategy performs best. When using a manipulation-proof performance measure, we find that consistent with prior literature, an active strategy that is based on time varying term premiums can indeed form the basis of a successful bond strategy that outperforms an unbiased expectation inspired passive bond buy and hold strategy. This is true, however, for an earlier time period when the literature first made this claim. In a later time period, we find that the passive buy and hold strategy is significantly superior to all active strategies. This result is confirmed by statistical tests and it suggests that once it became known that an active strategy based on time varying term premiums could outperform a passive buy and hold strategy, the markets adjusted and arbitraged away this opportunity. Overall, it appears that the unbiased expectation hypothesis is the most likely explanation of the behaviour of the term structure during more recent times. This is because economically and statistically significant superior performance cannot be achieved if one uses information from the forward curve or the term structure as a guide to adjusting bond portfolios in response to changes in the term premium. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media, LLC 2013
Volume (Year): 41 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 (July)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://springerlink.metapress.com/link.asp?id=102990|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zakamouline, Valeri & Koekebakker, Steen, 2009. "Portfolio performance evaluation with generalized Sharpe ratios: Beyond the mean and variance," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(7), pages 1242-1254, July.
- Bierwag, G. O., 1979. "Dynamic portfolio immunization policies," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 23-41, April.
- Newey, Whitney K & West, Kenneth D, 1987.
"A Simple, Positive Semi-definite, Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix,"
Econometric Society, vol. 55(3), pages 703-08, May.
- Newey, Whitney & West, Kenneth, 2014. "A simple, positive semi-definite, heteroscedasticity and autocorrelation consistent covariance matrix," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 33(1), pages 125-132.
- Whitney K. Newey & Kenneth D. West, 1986. "A Simple, Positive Semi-Definite, Heteroskedasticity and AutocorrelationConsistent Covariance Matrix," NBER Technical Working Papers 0055, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrew Ang & Monika Piazzesi & Min Wei, 2004.
"What Does the Yield Curve Tell us about GDP Growth?,"
NBER Working Papers
10672, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrew Ang & Monika Piazzesi & Min Wei, 2003. "What does the yield curve tell us about GDP growth?," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Mar.
- Ang, Andrew & Piazzesi, Monika & Wei, Min, 2006. "What does the yield curve tell us about GDP growth?," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 131(1-2), pages 359-403.
- Longstaff, Francis A, 1990. " Time Varying Term Premia and Traditional Hypotheses about the Term Structure," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 45(4), pages 1307-14, September.
- Ilmanen, Antti, 1995. " Time-Varying Expected Returns in International Bond Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(2), pages 481-506, June.
- Froot, Kenneth A, 1989.
" New Hope for the Expectations Hypothesis of the Term Structure of Interest Rates,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 44(2), pages 283-305, June.
- Kenneth A. Froot, 1987. "New Hope for the Expectations Hypothesis of the Term Structure of Interest Rates," NBER Working Papers 2363, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Díaz, Antonio & González, María de la O & Navarro, Eliseo & Skinner, Frank S., 2009. "An evaluation of contingent immunization," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(10), pages 1874-1883, October.
- Jonathan Ingersoll & Ivo Welch, 2007.
"Portfolio Performance Manipulation and Manipulation-proof Performance Measures,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 20(5), pages 1503-1546, 2007 17.
- William Goetzmann & Jonathan Ingersoll & Matthew Spiegel & Ivo Welch, 2002. "Portfolio Performance Manipulation and Manipulation-Proof Performance Measures," Yale School of Management Working Papers amz2471, Yale School of Management, revised 01 Apr 2006.
- Hardouvelis, Gikas A, 1988.
" The Predictive Power of the Term Structure during Recent Monetary Regimes,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 43(2), pages 339-56, June.
- Gikas A. Hardouvelis, 1987. "The predictive power of the term structure during recent monetary regimes," Research Paper 8708, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Fama, Eugene F & Bliss, Robert R, 1987. "The Information in Long-Maturity Forward Rates," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(4), pages 680-92, September.
- Francis A. Longstaff, 2000. "Arbitrage and the Expectations Hypothesis," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(2), pages 989-994, 04.
- Petko Kalev & Brett Inder, 2006. "The information content of the term structure of interest rates," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(1), pages 33-45.
- Henriksson, Roy D & Merton, Robert C, 1981. "On Market Timing and Investment Performance. II. Statistical Procedures for Evaluating Forecasting Skills," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 54(4), pages 513-33, October.
- Kessler, Stephan & Scherer, Bernd, 2009. "Varying risk premia in international bond markets," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(8), pages 1361-1375, August.
- Soto, Gloria M., 2001. "Immunization derived from a polynomial duration vector in the Spanish bond market," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(6), pages 1037-1057, June.
- Galvani, Valentina & Landon, Stuart, 2011.
"Riding the Yield Curve: A Spanning Analysis,"
2011-19, University of Alberta, Department of Economics.
- De Bondt, Werner F. M. & Bange, Mary M., 1992. "Inflation Forecast Errors and Time Variation in Term Premia," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 27(04), pages 479-496, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:rqfnac:v:41:y:2013:i:1:p:53-74. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.