Riding the Yield Curve: A Spanning Analysis
The average return on long-term bonds exceeds the return on short-term bills by a large amount over short investment horizons. A riding-the-yield-curve investment strategy takes advantage of the higher returns on longer term bonds. This strategy involves the purchase of bonds with maturities longer than the investment horizon and the sale of these bonds, before they mature, at the end of the investment horizon. Most of the literature that evaluates this strategy compares only ex post average returns or Sharpe ratios. In this paper, we use spanning tests to provide formal statistical evidence on the benefits of investing in long bonds when the investment horizon is short. The results for both the US and Canada indicate that an investor with a short horizon is better off investing in short-term debt instruments than long-term bonds.
|Date of creation:||01 Nov 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 8-14 HM Tory, Edmonton, Alberta, T6G 2H4|
Phone: (780) 492-3406
Fax: (780) 492-3300
Web page: http://www.economics.ualberta.ca/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Newey, Whitney K & West, Kenneth D, 1987.
"A Simple, Positive Semi-definite, Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix,"
Econometric Society, vol. 55(3), pages 703-08, May.
- Newey, Whitney & West, Kenneth, 2014. "A simple, positive semi-definite, heteroscedasticity and autocorrelation consistent covariance matrix," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 33(1), pages 125-132.
- Whitney K. Newey & Kenneth D. West, 1986. "A Simple, Positive Semi-Definite, Heteroskedasticity and AutocorrelationConsistent Covariance Matrix," NBER Technical Working Papers 0055, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Galvani, Valentina & Plourde, Andre, 2009.
"Portfolio Diversification in Energy Markets,"
2009-6, University of Alberta, Department of Economics.
- Pelaez, Rolando F., 1997. "Riding the yield curve: Term premiums and excess returns," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 113-119.
- Wayne E. Ferson & Andrew F. Siegel, 2009. "Testing Portfolio Efficiency with Conditioning Information," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 22(7), pages 2535-2558, July.
- Nijman, T.E. & de Roon, F.A. & Werker, B.J.M., 2001. "Testing for Mean-Variance spanning with short sales constraints and transaction costs : The case of emerging markets," Other publications TiSEM f4a3551a-d7ae-4c22-8813-b, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Korn, Olaf & Koziol, Christian, 2006. "Bond portfolio optimization: A risk-return approach," CFR Working Papers 06-03, University of Cologne, Centre for Financial Research (CFR).
- Li, Kai & Sarkar, Asani & Wang, Zhenyu, 2003. "Diversification benefits of emerging markets subject to portfolio constraints," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 10(1-2), pages 57-80, February.
- Geert Bekaert & Michael S. Urias, 1995.
"Diversification, Integration and Emerging Market Closed-End Funds,"
NBER Working Papers
4990, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bekaert, Geert & Urias, Michael S, 1996. " Diversification, Integration and Emerging Market Closed-End Funds," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 51(3), pages 835-69, July.
- de Roon, F.A. & Nijman, T.E., 1998.
"Testing for mean-variance spanning : A survey,"
1998-132, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Nijman, T.E. & de Roon, F.A., 2001. "Testing for mean-variance spanning : A survey," Other publications TiSEM 0159f80a-c61b-4519-b004-a, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Geert Bekaert, 2004.
"Conditioning Information and Variance Bounds on Pricing Kernels,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 17(2), pages 339-378.
- Geert Bekaert & Jun Liu, 1999. "Conditioning Information and Variance Bounds on Pricing Kernels," NBER Working Papers 6880, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Vihang Errunza & Ked Hogan & Mao-Wei Hung, 1999. "Can the Gains from International Diversification Be Achieved without Trading Abroad?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 54(6), pages 2075-2107, December.
- Roll, Richard, 1971. "Investment Diversification and Bond Maturity," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 26(1), pages 51-66, March.
- Kempf, Alexander & Memmel, Christoph, 2005. "On the estimation of the global minimum variance portfolio," CFR Working Papers 05-02, University of Cologne, Centre for Financial Research (CFR).
- Jobson, J. D. & Korkie, Bob, 1989. "A Performance Interpretation of Multivariate Tests of Asset Set Intersection, Spanning, and Mean-Variance Efficiency," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 24(02), pages 185-204, June.
- Wayne E. Ferson, 2001. "The Efficient Use of Conditioning Information in Portfolios," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 56(3), pages 967-982, 06.
- Jobson, J. D. & Korkie, Bob, 1982. "Potential performance and tests of portfolio efficiency," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 433-466, December.
- Choong Tze Chua & Winston Koh & Krishna Ramaswamy, 2005. "Comparing returns of US treasuries versus equities: implications for market and portfolio efficiency," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(17), pages 1213-1218.
- Eugene A. Pilotte & Frederic P. Sterbenz, 2006. "Sharpe and Treynor Ratios on Treasury Bonds," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 79(1), pages 149-180, January.
- Huberman, Gur & Kandel, Shmuel, 1987. " Mean-Variance Spanning," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 42(4), pages 873-88, September.
- Jobson, J D & Korkie, Bob, 1984. " On the Jensen Measure and Marginal Improvements in Portfolio Performance: A Note," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(1), pages 245-51, March.
- van Zijl, Tony, 1987. "Risk Decomposition: Variance or Standard Deviation—A Reexamination and Extension," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 22(02), pages 237-247, June.
- Eun, Cheol S. & Huang, Wei & Lai, Sandy, 2008. "International Diversification with Large- and Small-Cap Stocks," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 43(02), pages 489-524, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ris:albaec:2011_019. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Brenda Carrier)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.