The effect of mergers on credit union performance
The motivation for mergers in the credit union industry differs from the commercial bank industry due to the lack of residual claimants to benefit from wealth gains. In the cooperative ownership environment of credit unions, the owners/members gain utility via the rates offered for loans and deposits. Credit union regulators also gain utility when mergers remove risky credit unions from the industry. We measure these utility gains using the event study method of Bauer [Bauer, K., 2008. Detecting abnormal credit union performance. Journal of Banking and Finance 32, 573-586] employing quadrant tests based on a multivariate test of equality of centroids. We find gains to the owners/members of the target credit union and to the regulators but not to the acquiring firm. We posit that the acquiring credit unions may encounter regulatory pressure to merge. In addition, the owners/members of the acquiring firm may avoid potential disutility in the cooperative insurance environment were the target firm allowed to fail.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Harold O. FRIED & C. A. KNOX LOVELL, 1994.
"Enhancing The Performance of Credit Unions : The Evolution of a Methodology,"
Discussion Papers (REL - Recherches Economiques de Louvain)
1994042, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Fried, H. O. & Knox Lovell, C. A., . "Enhancing the performance of credit unions: the evolution of a methodology," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1155, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Goddard, John & Molyneux, Philip & Wilson, John O.S. & Tavakoli, Manouche, 2007. "European banking: An overview," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(7), pages 1911-1935, July.
- Brown, Christine & Davis, Kevin, 2009. "Capital management in mutual financial institutions," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 443-455, March.
- Fried, Harold O. & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Yaisawarng, Suthathip, 1999. "The impact of mergers on credit union service provision," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(2-4), pages 367-386, February.
- Scott Frame, W. & Karels, Gordon V. & McClatchey, Christine A., 2003. "Do credit unions use their tax advantage to benefit members? Evidence from a cost function," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 35-47.
- Fried, Harold O. & Knox Lovell, C. A. & Eeckaut, Philippe Vanden, 1993. "Evaluating the performance of US credit unions," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(2-3), pages 251-265, April.
- Bauer, Keldon, 2008. "Detecting abnormal credit union performance," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 573-586, April.
- Garden, Kaylee A. & Ralston, Deborah E., 1999. "The x-efficiency and allocative efficiency effects of credit union mergers," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 285-301, August.
- Ralston, Deborah & Wright, April & Garden, Kaylee, 2001. "Can mergers ensure the survival of credit unions in the third millennium?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(12), pages 2277-2304, December.
- Glenn Westley & Sherrill Shaffer, 1997.
"Credit Union Policies and Performances in Latin America,"
Research Department Publications
4086, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Westley, Glenn D. & Shaffer, Sherrill, 1999. "Credit union policies and performance in Latin America," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(9), pages 1303-1329, September.
- Glenn D. Westley & Sherrill Shaffer, 1997. "Credit Union Policies and Performances in Latin America," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 6430, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Glenn D. Westley & Sherrill Shaffer, 1998. "Credit union policies and performance in Latin America," Working Papers 98-1, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Koetter, M. & Bos, J.W.B. & Heid, F. & Kolari, J.W. & Kool, C.J.M. & Porath, D., 2007.
"Accounting for distress in bank mergers,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 31(10), pages 3200-3217, October.
- Koetter, Michael & Bos, Jaap W. B. & Heid, Frank & Kool, Clemens J. M. & Kolari, James W. & Porath, Daniel, 2005. "Accounting for distress in bank mergers," Discussion Paper Series 2: Banking and Financial Studies 2005,09, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Worthington, Andrew C., 2004. "Determinants of merger and acquisition activity in Australian cooperative deposit-taking institutions," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 57(1), pages 47-57, January.
- Donal G. McKillop, 2005. "Financial Cooperatives: Structure, Conduct and Performance," Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 76(3), pages 301-305, 09.
- John Goddard & John O. S. Wilson, 2005. "US Credit Unions: An Empirical Investigation of Size, Age and Growth," Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 76(3), pages 375-406, 09.
- J. Colin Glass & Donal McKillop, 2006. "The impact of differing operating environments on US Credit Union Performance, 1993-2001," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(17), pages 1285-1300.
- Goddard, John & McKillop, Donal & Wilson, John O.S., 2008. "The diversification and financial performance of US credit unions," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(9), pages 1836-1849, September.
- Andrew C. Worthington, 2001. "Efficiency in pre-merger and post-merger non-bank financial institutions," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(8), pages 439-452.
- Goddard, John A. & McKillop, Donal G. & Wilson, John O. S., 2002. "The growth of US credit unions," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(12), pages 2327-2356.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jbfina:v:33:y:2009:i:12:p:2267-2274. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.