Detecting abnormal credit union performance
Credit unions are an important financial intermediary, but little credit union research is done. A primary reason for the lack of research is the cooperative nature of the industry, making traditional methods of detecting abnormal performance inappropriate. This paper proposes two methods of detecting abnormal performance, one parametric, the other non-parametric. Instead of testing the efficiency of the institution, this paper proposes testing the return vector, as indicated in the theoretical objective function of the member. Simulations demonstrate that both methods are correctly specified and powerful.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James A. Wilcox, 2005. "Economies of scale and continuing consolidation of credit unions," FRBSF Economic Letter, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue nov4.
- William R. Emmons & Frank A. Schmid, 2000.
"Banks vs. credit unions; dynamic competition in local markets,"
2000-006, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- William R. Emmons & Frank A. Schmid, 2002. "Banks vs. credit unions: dynamic competition in local markets," Supervisory Policy Analysis Working Papers 2002-10, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- James A. Wilcox, 2006. "Performance divergence of large and small credit unions," FRBSF Economic Letter, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue aug4.
- Robert M. Feinberg, 2001. "The Competitive Role Of Credit Unions In Small Local Financial Services Markets," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 83(3), pages 560-563, August.
- Wolken, John D & Navratil, Frank J, 1980. " Economies of Scale in Credit Unions: Further Evidence," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 35(3), pages 769-77, June.
- Kim, H Youn, 1986. "Economies of Scale and Economies of Scope in Multiproduct Financial Institutions: Further Evidence from Credit Unions: A Note," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 18(2), pages 220-26, May.
- Donal G. McKillop, 2005. "Financial Cooperatives: Structure, Conduct and Performance," Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 76(3), pages 301-305, 09.
- John Goddard & John O. S. Wilson, 2005. "US Credit Unions: An Empirical Investigation of Size, Age and Growth," Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 76(3), pages 375-406, 09.
- Smith, Donald J, 1984. " A Theoretic Framework for the Analysis of Credit Union Decision Making," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(4), pages 1155-68, September.
- Kevin Davis, 2001. "Credit Union Governance and Survival of the Cooperative Form," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer;Western Finance Association, vol. 19(2), pages 197-210, April.
- Robert Tokle & Joanne Tokle, 2000. "The Influence of Credit Union and Savings and Loan Competition on Bank Deposit Rates in Idaho and Montana," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 17(4), pages 427-439, December.
- Smith, Donald J & Cargill, Thomas F & Meyer, Robert A, 1981. "An Economic Theory of a Credit Union," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 36(2), pages 519-28, May.
- Fried, H. O. & Knox Lovell, C. A., .
"Enhancing the performance of credit unions: the evolution of a methodology,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
1155, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Harold O. FRIED & C. A. KNOX LOVELL, 1994. "Enhancing The Performance of Credit Unions : The Evolution of a Methodology," Discussion Papers (REL - Recherches Economiques de Louvain) 1994042, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Scott Frame, W. & Karels, Gordon V. & McClatchey, Christine A., 2003. "Do credit unions use their tax advantage to benefit members? Evidence from a cost function," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 35-47.
- Goddard, John A. & McKillop, Donal G. & Wilson, John O. S., 2002. "The growth of US credit unions," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(12), pages 2327-2356.
- Taylor, Ryland A., 1972. "The Demand for Credit Union Shares: A Cross-Sectional Analysis," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(03), pages 1749-1756, June.
- Fried, Harold O. & Knox Lovell, C. A. & Eeckaut, Philippe Vanden, 1993. "Evaluating the performance of US credit unions," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(2-3), pages 251-265, April.
- Robert Feinberg, 2002. "Credit Unions: Fringe Suppliers or Cournot Competitors?," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 105-113, March.
- Ralston, Deborah & Wright, April & Garden, Kaylee, 2001. "Can mergers ensure the survival of credit unions in the third millennium?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(12), pages 2277-2304, December.
- Barber, Brad M. & Lyon, John D., 1996. "Detecting abnormal operating performance: The empirical power and specification of test statistics," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 359-399, July.
- Feinberg, Robert M. & Rahman, A. F. M. Ataur, 2001. "A causality test of the relationship between bank and credit union lending rates in local markets," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 71(2), pages 271-275, May.
- Fried, Harold O. & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Yaisawarng, Suthathip, 1999. "The impact of mergers on credit union service provision," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(2-4), pages 367-386, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jbfina:v:32:y:2008:i:4:p:573-586. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.