Accounting and capital market measures of risk: Evidence from Asian banks during 1998-2003
This study examines the relation between accounting and capital market risk measures for a sample of 46 listed Asian banks during the period 1998-2003. By applying a panel data analysis that includes a control for country-specific factors, the results show that the standard deviation of the return-on-assets and loan-loss-reserves-to-gross-loans are significantly related to total risk. Also gross-loans-to-total-assets and loan-loss-reserves-to-gross-loans are significantly related to non-systematic risk. These results indicate that in these Asian countries, firm-specific risk is more important than systematic risk and the results are robust even though significant differences exist across Asian countries in banking activities, capital adequacy requirements, and deposit insurance protection.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marianne Bertrand & Esther Duflo & Sendhil Mullainathan, 2002.
"How Much Should We Trust Differences-in-Differences Estimates?,"
NBER Working Papers
8841, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marianne Bertrand & Esther Duflo & Sendhil Mullainathan, 2004. "How Much Should We Trust Differences-In-Differences Estimates?," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 119(1), pages 249-275.
- Elyas Elyasiani & Iqbal Mansur, 2005. "The Association Between Market and Exchange Rate Risks and Accounting Variables: A GARCH Model of the Japanese Banking Institutions," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 25(2), pages 183-206, September.
- Elijah Brewer & Cheng Few Lee, 1986. "How the market judges bank risk," Economic Perspectives, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, issue Nov, pages 25-31.
- Pettway, Richard H, 1976. "Market Tests of Capital Adequacy of Large Commercial Banks," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 31(3), pages 865-75, June.
- Jonathan A. Neuberger, 1991. "Risk and return in banking: evidence from bank stock returns," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Fall, pages 18-30.
- Timothy P. Cronan & Donald R. Epley & Larry G. Perry, 1986. "The Use of Rank Transformation and Multiple Regression Analysis in Estimating Residential Property Values With A Small Sample," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 1(1), pages 19-31.
- Arellano, Manuel, 2003. "Panel Data Econometrics," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199245291, June.
- Shiers, Alden F., 1994. "Deposit insurance and banking system risk: Some empirical evidence," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 347-361.
- Williams, Jonathan & Nguyen, Nghia, 2005. "Financial liberalisation, crisis, and restructuring: A comparative study of bank performance and bank governance in South East Asia," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(8-9), pages 2119-2154, August.
- Amit Goyal & Pedro Santa-Clara, 2003. "Idiosyncratic Risk Matters!," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 58(3), pages 975-1008, 06.
- Klingebiel, Daniela & Kroszner, Randy & Laeven, Luc & van Oijen, Pieter, 2001. "Stock market responses to bank restructuring policies during the East Asian crisis," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2571, The World Bank.
- Kane, Gregory D & Meade, Nancy L, 1998. "Ratio Analysis Using Rank Transformation," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 10(1), pages 59-74, January.
- Jeffrey M. Wooldridge, 2003. "Cluster-Sample Methods in Applied Econometrics," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 93(2), pages 133-138, May.
- Hong Zou & Mike B. Adams & Mike J. Buckle, 2003. "Corporate Risks and Property Insurance: Evidence From the People's Republic of China," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 70(2), pages 289-314.
- Claessens, Stijn & Djankov, Simeon & Lang, Larry H. P., 2000. "The separation of ownership and control in East Asian Corporations," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(1-2), pages 81-112.
- Arellano, M, 1987. "Computing Robust Standard Errors for Within-Groups Estimators," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 49(4), pages 431-34, November.
- Hassan, M. Kabir, 1993. "The off-balance sheet banking risk of large U.S. commercial banks," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 51-69.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jbfina:v:32:y:2008:i:4:p:480-488. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.