Bond underwriting by banks and conflicts of interest: Evidence from Japan during the pre-war period
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Diamond, Douglas W, 1991. "Monitoring and Reputation: The Choice between Bank Loans and Directly Placed Debt," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(4), pages 689-721, August.
- Puri, Manju, 1994. "The long-term default performance of bank underwritten security issues," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 397-418, January.
- James, Christopher, 1987. "Some evidence on the uniqueness of bank loans," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 217-235, December.
- Lummer, Scott L. & McConnell, John J., 1989. "Further evidence on the bank lending process and the capital-market response to bank loan agreements," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 99-122, November.
- Booth, James R. & Smith, Richard II, 1986. "Capital raising, underwriting and the certification hypothesis," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1-2), pages 261-281.
- Heckman, James, 2013. "Sample selection bias as a specification error," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 31(3), pages 129-137.
- Puri, Manju, 1999. "Commercial banks as underwriters: implications for the going public process," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 133-163, October.
- Gande, Amar, et al, 1997. "Bank Underwriting of Debt Securities: Modern Evidence," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 10(4), pages 1175-1202.
- Fama, Eugene F., 1985. "What's different about banks?," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 29-39, January.
- Yabushita Shiro & Inoue Atsushi, 1993. "The Stability of the Japanese Banking System: A Historical Perspective," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 387-407, December.
- Altman, Edward I, 1989. " Measuring Corporate Bond Mortality and Performance," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 44(4), pages 909-922, September.
- James, Christopher & Wier, Peggy, 1990. "Borrowing relationships, intermediation, and the cost of issuing public securities," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(1-2), pages 149-171.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Takanori Tanaka, 2011. "Corporate Governance and the Costs of Public Debt Financing: Evidence from Japan," Discussion Papers in Economics and Business 11-35, Osaka University, Graduate School of Economics and Osaka School of International Public Policy (OSIPP).
- Takaoka, Sumiko & McKenzie, C.R., 2006.
"The impact of bank entry in the Japanese corporate bond underwriting market,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 59-83, January.
- C.R. McKenzie & Sumiko Takaoka, 2004. "The Impact of Bank Entry in the Japanese Corporate Bond Underwriting Market," Econometric Society 2004 Australasian Meetings 128, Econometric Society.
- Antonio Gledson de Carvalho & Joao Amaro de Matos & Douglas Beserra Pinheiro & Marcio de Sa Mello, 2015. "Conflicts of Interest in the Underwriting of IPOs and Price Stabilization," FEUNL Working Paper Series wp596, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Faculdade de Economia.
- Focarelli, Dario & Pozzolo, Alberto Franco, 2005. "Conflicts of Interest in Financial Markets - Evidence from Bond Underwriting in the Nineties," Economics & Statistics Discussion Papers esdp05023, University of Molise, Dept. EGSeI.
- Allen, Franklin, et al., 2010. "How Important Historically Were Financial Systems for Growth in the U.K., U.S., Germany, and Japan?," Working Papers 10-27, University of Pennsylvania, Wharton School, Weiss Center.
- DELOOF, Marc & VERMOESEN, Veronique, 2011. "The value of bank relationships: Evidence from Belgium at the start of the Great Depression," Working Papers 2011021, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- Sawada, Michiru, 2013.
"How does the stock market value bank diversification? Empirical evidence from Japanese banks,"
Pacific-Basin Finance Journal,
Elsevier, vol. 25(C), pages 40-61.
- Sawada, Michiru, 2011. "How does the stock market value bank diversification? Empirical evidence from Japanese banks," MPRA Paper 45852, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Nov 2012.
- McKenzie, C.R. & Takaoka, Sumiko, 2005. "Deregulation of bank underwriting activities: impacts in the Euro–yen and Japanese corporate bond markets," Mathematics and Computers in Simulation (MATCOM), Elsevier, vol. 68(5), pages 526-535.
- Kang, Jun-Koo & Liu, Wei-Lin, 2007. "Is universal banking justified? Evidence from bank underwriting of corporate bonds in Japan," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 84(1), pages 142-186, April.
- Sun, Yue & Uchida, Konari & Matsumoto, Mamoru, 2013. "The dark side of independent venture capitalists: Evidence from Japan," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 24(C), pages 279-300.
- Katsushi Suzuki & Kazuo Yamada, 2010. "Does the Intended Use of Proceeds and Bank's Characteristics Affect the Bank Underwriters' Certification Role? Evidence from Seasoned Equity Offerings," Discussion Papers 2010-55, Kobe University, Graduate School of Business Administration.
- Suzuki, Katsushi, 2010. "Do the equity holding and soundness of bank underwriters affect issue costs of SEOs?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 984-995, May.
- Yasuda, Ayako, 2007. "Bank relationships and underwriter competition: Evidence from Japan," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 86(2), pages 369-404, November.
- VAN OVERFELT, Wouter & ANNAERT, Jan & DE CEUSTER, Marc & DELOOF, Marc, 2007. "Do universal banks create value? Universal bank affiliation and company performance in Belgium, 1905-1909," Working Papers 2007001, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- Kasuya, Makoto, 2007. "Bond markets and banks in inter-war Japan," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 6873, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Lili Xie, 2007. "Universal Banking, Conflicts of Interest and Firm Growth," Working Papers 200703, Ball State University, Department of Economics, revised Jul 2007.
- Tanaka, Takanori, 2014. "Corporate governance and the cost of public debt financing: Evidence from Japan," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 34(C), pages 315-335.
- Makoto Kasuya, 2007. "Bond Markets and Banks in Inter-War Japan," STICERD - International Studies Paper Series 521, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Takanori Tanaka, 2014. "Gender diversity in the boards and the pricing of publicly traded corporate debt: evidence from Japan," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 24(4), pages 247-258, February.
More about this item
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jbfina:v:26:y:2002:i:4:p:767-793. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jbf .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.