An exploratory study of the pricing of legal services
Consumers and firms spend some $200 billion annually on legal services, but little is known about the factors that influence lawyers’ prices for those services. In this paper, we explore the determinants of the variation in lawyers’ pricing to shed light on competition among lawyers and to comment on whether entry barriers to legal practice that restrict competition are justified because they protect consumers who may have imperfect information about potential legal service providers. We do not find evidence in support of this premise.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 38 (2014)
Issue (Month): S ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/irle|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jean Tirole, 1988. "The Theory of Industrial Organization," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262200716.
- Morris M. Kleiner & Alan B. Krueger, 2010.
"The Prevalence and Effects of Occupational Licensing,"
British Journal of Industrial Relations,
London School of Economics, vol. 48(4), pages 676-687, December.
- Alan B. Krueger & Morris M. Kleiner, 2008. "The Prevalence and Effects of Occupational Licensing," Working Papers 1092, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Center for Economic Policy Studies..
- Morris M. Kleiner & Alan B. Krueger, 2008. "The Prevalence and Effects of Occupational Licensing," NBER Working Papers 14308, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kleiner, Morris M. & Krueger, Alan B., 2008. "The Prevalence and Effects of Occupational Licensing," IZA Discussion Papers 3675, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Diamond, Peter A., 1971. "A model of price adjustment," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 3(2), pages 156-168, June.
- Simon P. Anderson & Regis Renault, 1999. "Pricing, Product Diversity, and Search Costs: A Bertrand-Chamberlin-Diamond Model," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 30(4), pages 719-735, Winter.
- Anderson, S.P. & Renault, R., 1997. "Pricing, Product Diversity and Search Costs: A Bertrand-Chamberlin-Diamond Model," Papers 97.481, Toulouse - GREMAQ.
- Simon P. Anderson & Regis Renault, 1999. "Pricing, product diversity, and search costs: a Bertrand-Chamberlin-Diamond model," Virginia Economics Online Papers 335, University of Virginia, Department of Economics.
- Kristopher S. Gerardi & Adam Hale Shapiro, 2009. "Does Competition Reduce Price Dispersion? New Evidence from the Airline Industry," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 117(1), pages 1-37, 02.
- Ana Castaneda & Javier Diaz-Gimenez & Jose-Victor Rios-Rull, 2003. "Accounting for the U.S. Earnings and Wealth Inequality," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 111(4), pages 818-857, August.
- Neal, Derek & Rosen, Sherwin, 2000. "Theories of the distribution of earnings," Handbook of Income Distribution, in: A.B. Atkinson & F. Bourguignon (ed.), Handbook of Income Distribution, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 7, pages 379-427 Elsevier. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)