MNE linkages and localised clusters: foreign and indigenous firms in the media cluster of Central London
This study examines the operations of multinational enterprises (MNEs) in clusters in an effort to gain insight into the impact of cluster participation on the organisation of international activities and the generation of competitive advantages. Drawing upon the theories of international business and management, in combination with lessons from clustering and networking theories, the study examines the linkages of foreign affiliates in the media cluster of Central London, using indigenous firms in this cluster as the yardstick for comparison. This examination suggests that the major factor affecting the advantages accruing to MNEs from cluster participation is the extent to which internal linkages within MNEs substitute for local cluster linkages.
Volume (Year): 9 (2003)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/601266/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/601266/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bruce Kogut & Udo Zander, 1993. "Knowledge of the Firm and the Evolutionary Theory of the Multinational Corporation," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 24(4), pages 625-645, December.
- Jack High (ed.), 2001. "Competition," Books, Edward Elgar, number 1751.
- Dupuy, Claude & Gilly, Jean-Pierre, 1999. "Industrial Groups and Territories: The Case of Matra-Marconi-Space in Toulouse," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 23(2), pages 207-23, March.
- Luo, Yadong & Shenkar, Oded & Nyaw, Mee-Kau, 2002. "Mitigating liabilities of foreignness: Defensive versus offensive approaches," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 283-300.
- Wheeler, David & Mody, Ashoka, 1992. "International investment location decisions : The case of U.S. firms," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1-2), pages 57-76, August.
- J Myles Shaver, 1998. "Do Foreign-Owned and U.S.-Owned Establishments Exhibit the Same Location Pattern in U.S. Manufacturing Industries?," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 29(3), pages 469-492, September.
- C Dupuy & J P Gilly, 1996. "Collective learning and territorial dynamics: a new approach to the relations between industrial groups and territories," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 28(9), pages 1603-1616, September.
- Sergio Mariotti & Lucia Piscitello, 1995. "Information Costs and Location of FDIs within the Host Country: Empirical Evidence from Italy," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 26(4), pages 815-841, December.
- Allen Scott, 2002. "A new map of Hollywood: the production and distribution of American motion pictures," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(9), pages 957-975.
- Aksoy, Asu & Robins, Kevin, 1992. "Hollywood for the 21st Century: Global Competition for Critical Mass in Image Markets," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 16(1), pages 1-22, March.
- Keith Head & John Ries & Deborah Swenson, 1994.
"Agglomeration Benefits and Location Choice: Evidence from Japanese Manufacturing Investment in the United States,"
NBER Working Papers
4767, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Head, Keith & Ries, John & Swenson, Deborah, 1995. "Agglomeration benefits and location choice: Evidence from Japanese manufacturing investments in the United States," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(3-4), pages 223-247, May.
- Julian Birkinshaw & Neil Hood, 2000. "Characteristics of Foreign Subsidiaries in Industry Clusters," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 31(1), pages 141-154, March.
- Subramanian Rangan, 2000. "Search and Deliberation in International Exchange: Microfoundations to Some Macro Patterns," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 31(2), pages 205-222, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:intman:v:9:y:2003:i:2:p:171-192. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.