Effects of the open policy on the dependence between the Chinese 'A' stock market and other equity markets: An industry sector perspective
This paper investigates the effect of the open policy introduced in 2002 to allow foreigners to invest in the Chinese 'A' share market on the Chinese domestic capital market, especially on the dependence between the financial index returns of the 'A' shares and those of some emerging markets, specifically Hong Kong, Singapore, Thailand, Korea and Taiwan as well as the developed markets US, Japan and Australia. The results of nonparametric plots and copula model estimates of these dependence structures provide evidence of weak dependence in these markets before the introduction of the open policy, except for the US and Japan, and the tail dependence is found to be insignificant for all country pairs. These dependence structures are adequately captured by Clayton and normal copula models. On the other hand, in the period 2002-2009, there is significant dependence in all but the Korean market, as indicated by Symmetric Joe-Clayton, Clayton and rotated Gumbel copula models. Further, the significant lower tail dependence of the 'A' shares with other markets was found, except for the US, Japan and Korea, which indicates that the financial sectors returns in these five pair markets move downwards together. These findings have implications for international portfolio diversification and financial market participants.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 21 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/intfin|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kim, Gunky & Silvapulle, Mervyn J. & Silvapulle, Paramsothy, 2007. "Comparison of semiparametric and parametric methods for estimating copulas," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(6), pages 2836-2850, March.
- Wang, Yuenan & Iorio, Amalia Di, 2007. "Are the China-related stock markets segmented with both world and regional stock markets?," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 277-290, July.
- Andrew Patton, 2004.
"Modelling Asymmetric Exchange Rate Dependence,"
wp04-04, Warwick Business School, Finance Group.
- Hwahsin Cheng & John L. Glascock, 2006. "Stock Market Linkages Before and After the Asian Financial Crisis: Evidence from Three Greater China Economic Area Stock Markets and the US," Review of Pacific Basin Financial Markets and Policies (RPBFMP), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 9(02), pages 297-315.
- Yuenan Wang & Amalia Di Iorio, 2007. "The cross-sectional relationship between stock returns and domestic and global factors in the Chinese A-share market," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 29(2), pages 181-203, August.
- Lin, Kuan-Pin & Menkveld, Albert J. & Yang, Zhishu, 2009. "Chinese and world equity markets: A review of the volatilities and correlations in the first fifteen years," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 29-45, March.
- Param Silvapulle & Xibin Zhang, 2007. "Assessing dependence changes using nonparametric methods," Applied Financial Economics Letters, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 3(6), pages 397-401.
- Girardin, Eric & Liu, Zhenya, 2007.
"The financial integration of China: New evidence on temporally aggregated data for the A-share market,"
China Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 354-371.
- Eric Girardin & Zhenya Liu, 2007. "The financial integration of China: New evidence on temporally aggregated data for the A-share market," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2006 160, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Okimoto, Tatsuyoshi, 2008. "New Evidence of Asymmetric Dependence Structures in International Equity Markets," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 43(03), pages 787-815, September.
- Toda, Hiro Y. & Yamamoto, Taku, 1995. "Statistical inference in vector autoregressions with possibly integrated processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 66(1-2), pages 225-250.
- Genest C. & Boies J-C., 2003. "Detecting Dependence With Kendall Plots," The American Statistician, American Statistical Association, vol. 57, pages 275-284, November.
- McNeil, Alexander J. & Frey, Rudiger, 2000. "Estimation of tail-related risk measures for heteroscedastic financial time series: an extreme value approach," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 7(3-4), pages 271-300, November.
- Rodriguez, Juan Carlos, 2007. "Measuring financial contagion: A Copula approach," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 401-423, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:intfin:v:21:y:2011:i:1:p:49-74. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.