Efficiency evaluation of the Portuguese pension funds management companies
This paper ranks the pension funds management companies according to their change in total productivity for the period 1994-2007. We estimate the change in total productivity, breaking this down into technically efficient change and technological change by means of data envelopment analysis (DEA-Malmquist index). The aim of this procedure is to seek out those best practices that will lead to improved performance in the market. The implications arising from the study are considered in terms of managerial policy.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 20 (2010)
Issue (Month): 3 (July)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/intfin|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fabozzi, Frank J. & Focardi, Sergio M. & Jonas, Caroline L., 2005. "Market experience with modeling for defined-benefit pension funds: evidence from four countries," Journal of Pension Economics and Finance, Cambridge University Press, vol. 4(03), pages 313-327, November.
- Caves, Douglas W & Christensen, Laurits R & Diewert, W Erwin, 1982. "The Economic Theory of Index Numbers and the Measurement of Input, Output, and Productivity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(6), pages 1393-1414, November.
- Michael C. Jensen, 1968. "The Performance Of Mutual Funds In The Period 1945–1964," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 23(2), pages 389-416, 05.
- Caves, Douglas W & Christensen, Laurits R & Diewert, W Erwin, 1982. "Multilateral Comparisons of Output, Input, and Productivity Using Superlative Index Numbers," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 92(365), pages 73-86, March.
- Williamson, Oliver E, 1998. "The Institutions of Governance," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 88(2), pages 75-79, May.
- Carlos Pestana Barros & Maria Teresa Medeiros Garcia, 2007. "Analysing the Performance of the Pension Fund Industry with a Stochastic Frontier Model: A Case Study for Portugal," The Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance - Issues and Practice, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 32(2), pages 190-210, April.
- Coggin, T Daniel & Fabozzi, Frank J & Rahman, Shafiqur, 1993. " The Investment Performance of U.S. Equity Pension Fund Managers: An Empirical Investigation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(3), pages 1039-55, July.
- Plantinga, Auke, 2006. "Performance measurement for pension funds," Research Report 06E10, University of Groningen, Research Institute SOM (Systems, Organisations and Management).
- repec:dgr:rugsom:06e10 is not listed on IDEAS
- Chu, Sing Fat & Lim, Guan Hua, 1998. "Share performance and profit efficiency of banks in an oligopolistic market: evidence from Singapore," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 8(2-3), pages 155-168, September.
- Carlos Manuel Pereira da Silva & João Paulo Tomé Calado & Maria Teresa Medeiros Garcia, 2004.
"The Financial Sustainability of the Portuguese Social Security System,"
The Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance - Issues and Practice,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 29(3), pages 417-439, July.
- Carlos Manuel Pereira da Silva & Joao Paulo Tome Calado & Maria Teresa Medeiros Garcia, 2004. "The Financial Sustainability of the Portuguese Social Security System," The Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance, The International Association for the Study of Insurance Economics, vol. 29(3), pages 417-439, 07.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:intfin:v:20:y:2010:i:3:p:259-266. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.