Productivity Growth in the Lisbon Police Force
This paper estimates total productivity change with regard to the Lisbon Police Force and decomposes it into technically efficient change and technological change with data envelopment analysis (DEA). The benchmarking procedure implemented is an internal benchmarking, in which police precincts are compared against each other. The aim of this procedure is to seek out those best practices that will lead to improved performance throughout the whole force. We rank the precincts according to their total productivity change for the period 2000–2001, concluding that some precincts experienced productivity growth while a small number experienced productivity decrease. Economic implications arising from the study are considered. Copyright Springer Science + Business Media, LLC 2006
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Leigh Drake & Richard Simper, 2001. "The Economic Evaluation of Policing Activity: An Application of a Hybrid Methodology," European Journal of Law and Economics, Springer, vol. 12(3), pages 173-192, November.
- Hjalmarsson, Lennart & Veiderpass, Ann, 1992. " Productivity in Swedish Electricity Retail Distribution," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 94(0), pages S193-205, Supplemen.
- Williamson, Oliver E, 1998. "The Institutions of Governance," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 88(2), pages 75-79, May.
- repec:kap:iaecre:v:11:y:2005:i:3:p:315-328 is not listed on IDEAS
- C. Barros & F. Alves, 2005. "Efficiency in Crime Prevention: A Case Study of the Lisbon Precincts," International Advances in Economic Research, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 11(3), pages 315-328, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:porgrv:v:6:y:2006:i:1:p:21-35. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.