The sufficiency of the 'lens condition' for factor price equalization in the case of two factors
Factor price equalization (FPE) is a central theme in trade theory, for which Dixit and Norman (1980) establish the necessary and sufficient condition (the FPE condition). Deardorff (1994) provides a more intuitive condition (the lens condition) and establishes its necessity in general, as well as its sufficiency for the case of 2 countries. In this paper, I prove that the lens condition is sufficient for FPE in the case of 2 factors. This theorem has implications for empirical work.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Debaere, Peter & Demiroglu, Ufuk, 2003. "On the similarity of country endowments," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 101-136, January.
- Charles Blackorby & William Schworm & Anthony Venables, 1993.
"Necessary and Sufficient Conditions for Factor Price Equalization,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 60(2), pages 413-434.
- BLACKORBY, Ch. & SCHWORM, W. & VENABLES, A., 1986. "Necessary and sufficient conditions for factor price equalization," CORE Discussion Papers 1986047, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Donald R. Davis & David E. Weinstein, 2001.
"An Account of Global Factor Trade,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 91(5), pages 1423-1453, December.
- Donald R. Davis & David E. Weinstein, 1998. "An Account of Global Factor Trade," NBER Working Papers 6785, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Davis, D.R. & Weinstein, D.E., 1999. "An Account of Global Factor Trade," Working Papers 435, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Donald R. Davis & David E. Weinstein, 1998. "An Account of Global Factor Trade," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1849, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Demiroglu, Ufuk & Koo Yun, Kwan, 1999. "The lens condition for factor price equalization," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 449-456, April.
- Demiroglu, U. & Yun, K.K., 1997. "The Lens Conditions for factor Price Equalization," Working Papers 404, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Deardorff, Alan V., 1994. "The possibility of factor price equalization, revisited," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(1-2), pages 167-175, February.
- Deardorff, A.V., 1991. "The Possibility of Factor Price Equalization, Revisited," Working Papers 277, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:inecon:v:53:y:2001:i:2:p:463-474. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.