Home country and firm-specific ownership advantages: A study of US, UK and French advertising agencies
This study seeks to assess the extent to which home countries affect the ownership advantages of TNCs and their subsequent international competitiveness, and to examine the possible origins of ownership advantages in certain characteristics of the home countries of the TNCs concerned or in specific attributes of individual firms. The paper presents an empirical analysis based on examination of the explanatory power of a set of ownership advantages for the international competitiveness of advertising agencies and their discriminatory power between winners and losers based in the UK, the US and France. The findings suggest that home country characteristics are critical, but they provide only a partial explanation for the nature and extent of the ownership advantages which advertising agencies develop. While some advantages can be attributed to specific home country characteristics, and are thus shared by agencies of the same nationality, others tend to be related to the particular attributes of individual agencies.
Volume (Year): 8 (1999)
Issue (Month): 5-6 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/133/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/133/bibliographic|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lall, Sanjaya, 1980. "Monopolistic Advantages and Foreign Involvement by U.S. Manufacturing Industry," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 32(1), pages 102-122, March.
- Richard E Caves, 1998. "Research on International Business: Problems and Prospects," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 29(1), pages 5-19, March.
- Vern Terpstra & Chwo-Ming Yu, 1988. "Determinants of Foreign Investment of U.S. Advertising Agencies," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 19(1), pages 33-46, March.
- West, Douglas, 1988. "Multinational Competition in the British Advertising Agency Business, 1936–1987," Business History Review, Cambridge University Press, vol. 62(03), pages 467-501, September.
- P N O'Farrell & P A Wood, 1998. "Internationalisation by Business Service Firms: Towards a New Regionally Based Conceptual Framework," Environment and Planning A, , vol. 30(1), pages 109-128, January.
- P N O'Farrell & P A Wood, 1998. "Internationalisation by business service firms: towards a new regionally based conceptual framework," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 30(1), pages 109-128, January.
- Frances A Katrishen & Nicos A Scordis, 1998. "Economies of Scale in Services: A study of Multinational Insurers," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 29(2), pages 305-323, June.
- Arnold K Weinstein, 1977. "Foreign Investments by Service Firms: The Case of Multinational Advertising Agencies," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 8(1), pages 83-91, March.
- James D. Montgomery, 1991. "Equilibrium Wage Dispersion and Interindustry Wage Differentials," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 106(1), pages 163-179.
- Pauly, Louis W. & Reich, Simon, 1997. "National structures and multinational corporate behavior: enduring differences in the age of globalization," International Organization, Cambridge University Press, vol. 51(01), pages 1-30, December.
- J J Boddewyn & Marsha Baldwin Halbrich & A C Perry, 1986. "Service Multinationals: Conceptualization, Measurement and Theory," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 17(3), pages 41-57, September.
- Dunning, John H, 1979. "Explaining Changing Patterns of International Production: In Defence of the Eclectic Theory," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 41(4), pages 269-295, November.
- Nachum, Lilach, 1998. "Do The Diamonds Of Foreign Countries Shape The Competitiveness Of Firms? A Case Study Of The Swedish Engineering Consulting Industry," Scandinavian Journal of Management, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 459-478, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:iburev:v:8:y:1999:i:5-6:p:633-660. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.