Home country and firm-specific ownership advantages: A study of US, UK and French advertising agencies
This study seeks to assess the extent to which home countries affect the ownership advantages of TNCs and their subsequent international competitiveness, and to examine the possible origins of ownership advantages in certain characteristics of the home countries of the TNCs concerned or in specific attributes of individual firms. The paper presents an empirical analysis based on examination of the explanatory power of a set of ownership advantages for the international competitiveness of advertising agencies and their discriminatory power between winners and losers based in the UK, the US and France. The findings suggest that home country characteristics are critical, but they provide only a partial explanation for the nature and extent of the ownership advantages which advertising agencies develop. While some advantages can be attributed to specific home country characteristics, and are thus shared by agencies of the same nationality, others tend to be related to the particular attributes of individual agencies.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 8 (1999)
Issue (Month): 5-6 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/133/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/133/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- J J Boddewyn & Marsha Baldwin Halbrich & A C Perry, 1986. "Service Multinationals: Conceptualization, Measurement and Theory," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 17(3), pages 41-57, September.
- P N O'Farrell & P A Wood, 1998. "Internationalisation by business service firms: towards a new regionally based conceptual framework," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 30(1), pages 109-128, January.
- Vern Terpstra & Chwo-Ming Yu, 1988. "Determinants of Foreign Investment of U.S. Advertising Agencies," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 19(1), pages 33-46, March.
- Richard E Caves, 1998. "Research on International Business: Problems and Prospects," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 29(1), pages 5-19, March.
- Lall, Sanjaya, 1980. "Monopolistic Advantages and Foreign Involvement by U.S. Manufacturing Industry," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 32(1), pages 102-22, March.
- Dunning, John H, 1979. "Explaining Changing Patterns of International Production: In Defence of the Eclectic Theory," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 41(4), pages 269-95, November.
- Arnold K Weinstein, 1977. "Foreign Investments by Service Firms: The Case of Multinational Advertising Agencies," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 8(1), pages 83-91, March.
- Montgomery, James D, 1991. "Equilibrium Wage Dispersion and Interindustry Wage Differentials," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 106(1), pages 163-79, February.
- Pauly, Louis W. & Reich, Simon, 1997. "National structures and multinational corporate behavior: enduring differences in the age of globalization," International Organization, Cambridge University Press, vol. 51(01), pages 1-30, December.
- Nachum, Lilach, 1998. "Do The Diamonds Of Foreign Countries Shape The Competitiveness Of Firms? A Case Study Of The Swedish Engineering Consulting Industry," Scandinavian Journal of Management, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 459-478, December.
- Frances A Katrishen & Nicos A Scordis, 1998. "Economies of Scale in Services: A study of Multinational Insurers," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 29(2), pages 305-323, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:iburev:v:8:y:1999:i:5-6:p:633-660. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.