The location of foreign insurance companies in China
The potential of the Chinese insurance market is enormous, as current per capita insurance spending is a fraction of that in other developing economies. The Chinese authorities are aware that the development of an indigenous insurance capability is essential to China's continued economic restructuring, and that foreign insurers have an important role to play in this process. They have thus started to liberalise, albeit cautiously, the policy environment for foreign insurers. One of the crucial strategic questions for such insurers is where to establish their representative offices within China, given the size of the country. This paper uses a Conditional Logit Model to assess the determinants of location choice using a sample of 138 foreign representative offices established over the period 1992-96. Proximity to the headquarters of the Regulatory Authority, openness for the award of operating licenses, current and future market demand, and the presence of other foreign investment are all found to have significant effects upon the choice of location. Cost and infrastructure considerations were generally found to be of little significance.
Volume (Year): 9 (2000)
Issue (Month): 3 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/133/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/133/bibliographic|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- J H Dunning & G Norman, 1987. "The location choice of offices of international companies," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 19(5), pages 613-631, May.
- J J Boddewyn & Marsha Baldwin Halbrich & A C Perry, 1986. "Service Multinationals: Conceptualization, Measurement and Theory," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 17(3), pages 41-57, September.
- Head, Keith & Ries, John & Swenson, Deborah, 1995.
"Agglomeration benefits and location choice: Evidence from Japanese manufacturing investments in the United States,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 38(3-4), pages 223-247, May.
- Keith Head & John Ries & Deborah Swenson, 1994. "Agglomeration Benefits and Location Choice: Evidence from Japanese Manufacturing Investment in the United States," NBER Working Papers 4767, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Head, Keith & Ries, John, 1996. "Inter-City Competition for Foreign Investment: Static and Dynamic Effects of China's Incentive Areas," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 38-60, July.
- J H Dunning & G Norman, 1987. "The Location Choice of Offices of International Companies," Environment and Planning A, , vol. 19(5), pages 613-631, May.
- W J Coffey & M PolÃ¨se, 1987. "Trade and Location of Producer Services: A Canadian Perspective," Environment and Planning A, , vol. 19(5), pages 597-611, May.
- W J Coffey & M Polèse, 1987. "Trade and location of producer services: a Canadian perspective," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 19(5), pages 597-611, May.
- Coughlin, Cletus C & Terza, Joseph V & Arromdee, Vachira, 1991. "State Characteristics and the Location of Foreign Direct Investment within the United States," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 73(4), pages 675-83, November.
- Wheeler, David & Mody, Ashoka, 1992. "International investment location decisions : The case of U.S. firms," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1-2), pages 57-76, August.
- Harry G. Broadman & Xiaolun Sun, 1997. "The Distribution of Foreign Direct Investment in China," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 20(3), pages 339-361, 05.
- Frances A Katrishen & Nicos A Scordis, 1998. "Economies of Scale in Services: A study of Multinational Insurers," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 29(2), pages 305-323, June.
- Broadman, Harry G. & Xiaolun Sun, 1997. "The distribution of foreign direct investment in China," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1720, The World Bank.
- Gray, Jean M. & Gray, H. Peter, 1981. "The multinational bank: A financial MNC?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 33-63, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:iburev:v:9:y:2000:i:3:p:383-398. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.