The influence of market and product knowledge resource embeddedness on the international mergers of advertising agencies: The case-study approach
The acquisition of Taiwanese advertising companies by large multinational advertising syndicates stands out as unique compared to those in other industries. The strategic thinking involved in such acquisitions is worth a deep analysis. This study focuses on the merger of two Taiwanese and Japanese advertising agencies from the network embeddedness point of view. Using the case-study method, this paper probes into the motivations and strategy evolutions of the said mergers. The following findings were made: "product knowledge" and "market knowledge" are important resources on which advertisers and advertising agencies share mutual dependency in a given market. As products are marketed and experience growth, advertising agents and advertisers enter into a long-term cooperation relationship and resource embeddedness. When advertising agencies follow their advertisers into a foreign market, and thus also leading to bundled investments, the globalization strategies of the former become a consequence. Advertisers' need to understand the local competitive resources (i.e. market knowledge) leads to symmetrical resource complementarities with their advertising agencies in the multinational market. In the course of a merger dictated by common market knowledge needs, advertising agencies, enjoying an upper hand in resources, often have a greater dominance in the merger and acquisition process.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 17 (2008)
Issue (Month): 5 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/133/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/133/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eriksson, Kent & Chetty, Sylvie, 2003. "The effect of experience and absorptive capacity on foreign market knowledge," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 12(6), pages 673-695, December.
- Nachum, L. & Rolle, J. D., 1999. "Home country and firm-specific ownership advantages: A study of US, UK and French advertising agencies," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 8(5-6), pages 633-660, October.
- Nicolaj J. Foss & Volker Mahnke, 2003. "Knowledge Management What Can Organizational Economics Contribute?," DRUID Working Papers 03-02, DRUID, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy/Aalborg University, Department of Business Studies.
- Harris, Judy & Taylor, Kimberly A., 2003. "The Case for Greater Agency Involvement in Strategic Partnerships," Journal of Advertising Research, Cambridge University Press, vol. 43(04), pages 346-352, December.
- Charles Dhanaraj & Marjorie A Lyles & H Kevin Steensma & Laszlo Tihanyi, 2004. "Managing tacit and explicit knowledge transfer in IJVs: the role of relational embeddedness and the impact on performance," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 35(5), pages 428-442, September.
- Yeniyurt, Sengun & Tamer Cavusgil, S. & Hult, G. Tomas M., 2005. "A global market advantage framework: the role of global market knowledge competencies," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 1-19, February.
- Sharma, D. Deo & Blomstermo, Anders, 2003. "The internationalization process of Born Globals: a network view," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 12(6), pages 739-753, December.
- Arnold K Weinstein, 1977. "Foreign Investments by Service Firms: The Case of Multinational Advertising Agencies," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 8(1), pages 83-91, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:iburev:v:17:y:2008:i:5:p:587-599. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.