The effects of nationality differences on manufacturing location in the US: a conjoint analysis approach
This study investigates the effect of the nationality of investors on the location of manufacturing investment in the US. Based on the preceding literature, the central notion that the national origin of these firms has had an effect on the importance of location-specific factors is examined. In contrast to past studies, however, the paper utilizes conjoint analysis and addresses methodological issues not fully considered in previous research. Through a survey of German, Japanese and American manufacturers, the results show that significant differences across nationality groups do exist, indicating the dynamic influence of nationality on the location behavior of foreign investment.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 13 (2004)
Issue (Month): 4 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/133/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/133/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Coughlin, Cletus C & Terza, Joseph V & Arromdee, Vachira, 1991. "State Characteristics and the Location of Foreign Direct Investment within the United States," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 73(4), pages 675-83, November.
- Bartik, Timothy J, 1985. "Business Location Decisions in the United States: Estimates of the Effects of Unionization, Taxes, and Other Characteristics of States," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 3(1), pages 14-22, January.
- Smith Jr. , Donald F. & Florida Richard, 1994. "Agglomeration and Industrial Location: An Econometric Analysis of Japanese-Affiliated Manufacturing Establishments in Automotive-Related Industries," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 23-41, July.
- Green, Paul E, 1974. " On the Design of Choice Experiments Involving Multifactor Alternatives," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 1(2), pages 61-68, Se.
- John H Dunning, 1998. "Location and the Multinational Enterprise: A Neglected Factor?," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 29(1), pages 45-66, March.
- Newman, Robert J. & Sullivan, Dennis H., 1988. "Econometric analysis of business tax impacts on industrial location: What do we know, and how do we know it?," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 215-234, March.
- Riad A Ajami & David A Ricks, 1981. "Motives of Non-American Firms Investing in the United States," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 12(3), pages 25-34, September.
- Jeffrey S Arpan & Edward B Flowers & David A Ricks, 1981. "Foreign Direct Investment in the United States: The State of Knowledge in Research," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 12(1), pages 137-154, March.
- Jeffrey S Arpan & David A Ricks, 1986. "Foreign Direct Investment in the U.S. 1974-1984," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 17(3), pages 149-153, September.
- Ulgado, Francis M., 1997. "Location decision-making characteristics of foreign direct investment in the United States," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 271-293, June.
- Michael J. Boskin & William G. Gale, 1986.
"New Results on the Effects of Tax Policy on the International Location of Investment,"
NBER Working Papers
1862, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael J. Boskin & William G. Gale, 1987. "New Results on the Effects of Tax Policy on the International Location of Investment," NBER Chapters, in: The Effects of Taxation on Capital Accumulation, pages 201-222 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Green, Paul E & Srinivasan, V, 1978. " Conjoint Analysis in Consumer Research: Issues and Outlook," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 5(2), pages 103-23, Se.
- Storper, Michael, 1995. "Regional technology coalitions an essential dimension of national technology policy," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(6), pages 895-911, November.
- Catherine L. Mann, 1989.
"Determinants of Japanese direct investment in U.S. manufacturing industries,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
362, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Mann, Catherine L., 1993. "Determinants of Japanese direct investment in US manufacturing industries," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(5), pages 523-541, October.
- Jeffrey S Arpan & David A Ricks, 1974. "Foreign Direct Investments in the U.S. and Some Attendant Research Problems," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 5(1), pages 1-7, March.
- Carlton, Dennis W, 1983. "The Location and Employment Choices of New Firms: An Econometric Model with Discrete and Continuous Endogenous Variables," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 65(3), pages 440-49, August.
- Edward Brown Flowers, 1976. "Oligopolistic Reactions in European and Canadian Direct Investment in the United States," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 7(2), pages 43-56, June.
- J Myles Shaver, 1998. "Do Foreign-Owned and U.S.-Owned Establishments Exhibit the Same Location Pattern in U.S. Manufacturing Industries?," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 29(3), pages 469-492, September.
- John D Daniels, 1970. "Recent Foreign Direct Manufacturing Investment in the United States," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 1(1), pages 125-132, March.
- Lilach Nachum, 2000. "Economic Geography and the Location of TNCs: Financial and Professional Service FDI to the USA," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 31(3), pages 367-385, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:iburev:v:13:y:2004:i:4:p:503-522. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.