Investor attention and abnormal performance of timberland investments in the United States
We use Internet search volume of timberland related terms to test investor attention on timberland asset pricing. With an innovate measure of investor attention based on Internet search volume, we investigate the empirical implication of Internet information search on timberland asset pricing. Our results reveal that investor attention to the finished wood products market, the global climate change, the emerging biomass market, and the overall manufacturing industry has significant effects on the abnormal returns of timberland investments.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- William F. Sharpe, 1964. "Capital Asset Prices: A Theory Of Market Equilibrium Under Conditions Of Risk," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 19(3), pages 425-442, 09.
- Torsten Schmidt & Simeon Vosen, 2009.
"Forecasting Private Consumption: Survey-based Indicators vs. Google Trends,"
Ruhr Economic Papers
0155, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Universität Dortmund, Universität Duisburg-Essen.
- Simeon Vosen & Torsten Schmidt, 2011. "Forecasting private consumption: survey‐based indicators vs. Google trends," Journal of Forecasting, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 30(6), pages 565-578, September.
- Berna Karali & Gabriel J. Power & Ariun Ishdorj, 2011. "Bayesian State-Space Estimation of Stochastic Volatility for Storable Commodities," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 93(2), pages 434-440.
- Mondria, Jordi & Wu, Thomas & Zhang, Yi, 2010.
"The determinants of international investment and attention allocation: Using internet search query data,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 82(1), pages 85-95, September.
- Jordi Mondria & Thomas Wu & Yi Zhang, 2008. "The Determinants of International Investment and Attention Allocation: Using Internet Search Query Data," Working Papers tecipa-326, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Sherwood Clements & Alan J. Ziobrowski & Mark Holder, 2011. "Lumber Futures and Timberland Investment," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 33(1), pages 49-72.
- Changyou Sun & Daowei Zhang, 2001. "Assessing the Financial Performance of Forestry-Related Investment Vehicles: Capital Asset Pricing Model vs. Arbitrage Pricing Theory," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(3), pages 617-628.
- Smith, Geoffrey Peter, 2012. "Google Internet search activity and volatility prediction in the market for foreign currency," Finance Research Letters, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 103-110.
- Lin Peng & Wei Xiong, 2005.
"Investor Attention: Overconfidence and Category Learning,"
NBER Working Papers
11400, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Peng, Lin & Xiong, Wei, 2006. "Investor attention, overconfidence and category learning," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 80(3), pages 563-602, June.
- Durbin, James & Koopman, Siem Jan, 2001.
"Time Series Analysis by State Space Methods,"
Oxford University Press, number 9780198523543, March.
- Tom Doan, . "SEASONALDLM: RATS procedure to create the matrices for the seasonal component of a DLM," Statistical Software Components RTS00251, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Doran, Howard E. & Rambaldi, Alicia N., 1997. "Applying linear time-varying constraints to econometric models: With an application to demand systems," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 79(1), pages 83-95, July.
- Sun, Changyou, 2007. "Variation of federal cost-share programs in the United States and the inducement effects on tree planting," Journal of Forest Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 279-296, February.
- Michael C. Jensen, 1968. "The Performance Of Mutual Funds In The Period 1945–1964," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 23(2), pages 389-416, 05.
- Morris Goldstein & Mohsin S. Khan, 1976. "Large versus Small Price Changes and the Demand for Imports (Demande d'importation et modification forte ou faible des prix) (Grandes y pequeÃ±as variaciones de precios y la demanda de importaciÃ³n)," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 23(1), pages 200-225, March.
- Matthias Bank & Martin Larch & Georg Peter, 2011. "Google search volume and its influence on liquidity and returns of German stocks," Financial Markets and Portfolio Management, Springer, vol. 25(3), pages 239-264, September.
- Michael S. Drake & Darren T. Roulstone & Jacob R. Thornock, 2012. "Investor Information Demand: Evidence from Google Searches Around Earnings Announcements," Journal of Accounting Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(4), pages 1001-1040, 09.
- Song, Haiyan & Liu, Xiaming & Romilly, Peter, 1996. " A Time Varying Parameter Approach to the Chinese Aggregate Consumption Function," Economic Change and Restructuring, Springer, vol. 29(3), pages 185-203.
- Waggle, Doug & Johnson, Don T., 2009. "An analysis of the impact of timberland, farmland and commercial real estate in the asset allocation decisions of institutional investors," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 90-96, April.
- Brad M. Barber & Terrance Odean, 2008. "All That Glitters: The Effect of Attention and News on the Buying Behavior of Individual and Institutional Investors," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 21(2), pages 785-818, April.
- Zhi Da & Joseph Engelberg & Pengjie Gao, 2011. "In Search of Attention," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 66(5), pages 1461-1499, October.
- Bert Scholtens & Laura Spierdijk, 2010. "Does Money Grow on Trees? The Diversification Properties of U.S. Timberland Investments," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 86(3).
- Sims, Christopher A., 2003. "Implications of rational inattention," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 665-690, April.
- Hirshleifer, David & Teoh, Siew Hong, 2003. "Limited attention, information disclosure, and financial reporting," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(1-3), pages 337-386, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:forpol:v:28:y:2013:i:c:p:60-65. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.