Price dynamics in the import wooden bed market of the United States
Imports of wooden beds by the United States have been over one billion dollars since 2005. With a combined market share of more than 60%, China and Vietnam have dominated the import market in recent years. This trade surge has become a serious threat to the domestic furniture industry. Threshold cointegration and an asymmetric error correction model are used to analyze the price dynamics between China and Vietnam. China has been the price leader of the market and its price has been evolving more independently. The transmission between the prices of China and Vietnam has been asymmetric in both the long term and short term. Furniture firms in China and Vietnam adjust prices about two times faster when their profits are squeezed than stretched.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Granger, C W J & Lee, T H, 1989. "Investigation of Production, Sales and Inventory Relationships Using Multicointegration and Non-symmetric Error Correction Models," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 4(S), pages S145-59, Supplemen.
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1990. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference on Cointegration--With Applications to the Demand for Money," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(2), pages 169-210, May.
- Atanu Ghoshray, 2007. "An Examination of the Relationship Between U.S. and Canadian Durum Wheat Prices," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 55(1), pages 49-62, 03.
- Balke, Nathan S & Fomby, Thomas B, 1997.
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 38(3), pages 627-45, August.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Balke-Fomby threshold cointegration," Statistical Software Components RTZ00010, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Nathan S. Balke & Thomas B. Fomby, 1992. "Threshold cointegration," Research Paper 9209, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Abdulai, Awudu, 2000. "Spatial price transmission and asymmetry in the Ghanaian maize market," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(2), pages 327-349, December.
- Enders, Walter & Granger, C. W. J., 1998.
"Unit Root Tests and Asymmetric Adjustment with an Example Using the Term Structure of Interest Rates,"
Staff General Research Papers
1388, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Enders, Walter & Granger, Clive W J, 1998. "Unit-Root Tests and Asymmetric Adjustment with an Example Using the Term Structure of Interest Rates," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 16(3), pages 304-11, July.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Enders/Granger JBES(1998)on threshold unit roots," Statistical Software Components RTZ00054, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Mark H. Drayse, 2008. "Globalization and Regional Change in the U.S. Furniture Industry," Growth and Change, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 39(2), pages 252-282.
- Barry K. Goodwin & Nicholas E. Piggott, 2001.
"Spatial Market Integration in the Presence of Threshold Effects,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(2), pages 302-317.
- Goodwin, Barry K. & Piggott, Nicholas E., 1999. "Spatial Market Integration In The Presence Of Threshold Effects," 1999 Annual meeting, August 8-11, Nashville, TN 21489, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Enders, Walter & Siklos, Pierre L, 2001.
"Cointegration and Threshold Adjustment,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 19(2), pages 166-76, April.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Enders-Siklos(2001) JBES paper on threshold cointegration," Statistical Software Components RTZ00053, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "ENDERSIKLOS: RATS procedure to perform Enders-Siklos test for cointegration with threshold effect," Statistical Software Components RTS00064, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Meyer, Jochen & von Cramon-Taubadel, Stephan, 2002.
"Asymmetric Price Transmission: A Survey,"
2002 International Congress, August 28-31, 2002, Zaragoza, Spain
24822, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Koutroumanidis, Theodoros & Zafeiriou, Eleni & Arabatzis, Garyfallos, 2009. "Asymmetry in price transmission between the producer and the consumer prices in the wood sector and the role of imports: The case of Greece," Forest Policy and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 56-64, January.
- Awudu Abdulai, 2002. "Using threshold cointegration to estimate asymmetric price transmission in the Swiss pork market," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(6), pages 679-687.
- Matteo Manera & Giliola Frey, 2005.
"Econometric Models of Asymmetric Price Transmission,"
2005.100, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Giliola Frey & Matteo Manera, 2007. "Econometric Models Of Asymmetric Price Transmission," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 21(2), pages 349-415, 04.
- Chung-Hua Shen & Chien-Fu Chen & Li-Hsueh Chen, 2007. "An empirical study of the asymmetric cointegration relationships among the Chinese stock markets," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(11), pages 1433-1445.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:forpol:v:13:y:2011:i:6:p:479-487. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.