Monitoring, reputation and accountability in issuing banks in mid-nineteenth-century Spain
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- La Porta, Rafael & Lopez-de-Silanes, Florencio & Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert, 2000.
"Investor protection and corporate governance,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 58(1-2), pages 3-27.
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert Vishny, "undated". "Investor Protection and Corporate Governance," Working Paper 19455, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- La Porta, Rafael & Lopez-de-Silanes, Florencio & Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert, 2000. "Investor protection and corporate governance," Scholarly Articles 29408126, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- La Porta, Rafael & Lopez-de-Silanes, Florencio & Schleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert, 2001. "Investor Protection and Corporate Governance," Working Paper Series rwp01-017, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- W. Bentley MacLeod, 2007. "Reputations, Relationships, and Contract Enforcement," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 45(3), pages 595-628, September.
- Economopoulos, Andrew J., 1990. "Free bank failures in New York and Wisconsin: A portfolio analysis," Explorations in Economic History, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 421-441, October.
- Watts, Ross L & Zimmerman, Jerold L, 1983. "Agency Problems, Auditing, and the Theory of the Firm: Some Evidence," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 26(3), pages 613-633, October.
- RÃ³denas, Clementina & Bru, Segundo, 2006. "La convertibilidad de la peseta en el siglo XIX," Revista de Historia Económica, Cambridge University Press, vol. 24(3), pages 555-578, January.
- Baker, Mae & Collins, Michael, 1999. "English industrial distress before 1914 and the response of the banks," European Review of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 3(1), pages 1-24, April.
- Cowen, Tyler & Kroszner, Randall, 1989. "Scottish Banking before 1845: A Model for Laissez-Faire?," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 21(2), pages 221-231, May.
- Lucy Newton, 2007. "Change and continuity: the development of joint stock banking in the early nineteenth century," Economics & Management Discussion Papers em-dp2007-40, Henley Business School, Reading University.
- Douglas W. Diamond & Philip H. Dybvig, 2000. "Bank runs, deposit insurance, and liquidity," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Win, pages 14-23.
- George A. Selgin & Lawrence H. White, 1994. "How Would the Invisible Hand Handle Money?," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 32(4), pages 1718-1749, December.
- repec:wly:coacre:v:10:y:1994:i:2:p:673-698 is not listed on IDEAS
- Capie, Forrest & Collins, Michael, 1999. "Organisational Control and English Commercial Bank Lending to Industry in the decades before World War I," Revista de Historia Económica, Cambridge University Press, vol. 17(1), pages 187-210, March.
- Hoag, Christopher, 2005. "Deposit drains on "interest-paying" banks before financial crises," Explorations in Economic History, Elsevier, vol. 42(4), pages 567-585, October.
- Adams, Mike & Hossain, Mahmud, 1998. "Managerial discretion and voluntary disclosure: Empirical evidence from the New Zealand life insurance industry," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 245-281.
- Gorton, Gary, 1985. "Clearinghouses and the Origin of Central Banking in the United States," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 45(2), pages 277-283, June.
- Milgrom, Paul & Roberts, John, 1982.
"Predation, reputation, and entry deterrence,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 280-312, August.
- Paul Milgrom & John Roberts, 1980. "Predation, Reputation, and Entry Deterrence," Discussion Papers 427, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Paul Milgrom & John Roberts, 1997. "Predation, reputation , and entry deterrence," Levine's Working Paper Archive 1460, David K. Levine.
- Steven Toms & John Wilson, 2003. "Scale, scope and accountability: towards a new paradigm of British business history," Business History, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(4), pages 1-23.
- R.M. Haniffa & T. E. Cooke, 2002. "Culture, Corporate Governance and Disclosure in Malaysian Corporations," Abacus, Accounting Foundation, University of Sydney, vol. 38(3), pages 317-349, October.
- Hasan, Iftekhar & Dwyer, Gerald P, Jr, 1994. "Bank Runs in the Free Banking Period," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 26(2), pages 271-288, May.
- Bushman, Robert M. & Smith, Abbie J., 2001. "Financial accounting information and corporate governance," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1-3), pages 237-333, December.
- Waymire, Gregory B. & Basu, Sudipta, 2008. "Accounting is an Evolved Economic Institution," Foundations and Trends(R) in Accounting, now publishers, vol. 2(1–2), pages 1-174, September.
- Dupont, Brandon, 2007. "Bank runs, information and contagion in the panic of 1893," Explorations in Economic History, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 411-431, July.
- Healy, Paul M. & Palepu, Krishna G., 2001. "Information asymmetry, corporate disclosure, and the capital markets: A review of the empirical disclosure literature," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(1-3), pages 405-440, September.
- Gorton, Gary, 1996. "Reputation Formation in Early Bank Note Markets," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 104(2), pages 346-397, April.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- repec:gam:jsusta:v:11:y:2019:i:7:p:1960-:d:219366 is not listed on IDEAS
- Jonas Oliveira & Lúcia Lima Rodrigues & Russell Craig, 2011. "Voluntary risk reporting to enhance institutional and organizational legitimacy: Evidence from Portuguese banks," Journal of Financial Regulation and Compliance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 19(3), pages 271-289, July.
More about this item
KeywordsIssuing banks Disclosure Reputation Financial history;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:exehis:v:47:y:2010:i:4:p:403-419. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/622830 .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.