Some economics of seasonal gas storage
We propose a model of seasonal gas markets which is flexible enough to include supply and demand shocks while also considering exhaustibility. The relative performances of alternative policies based on price caps and associated measures or tariffs are discussed. We illustrate with structural estimates on US data how this theory can be used to give insights into the intertemporal incidence of policy instruments.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hueth, Darrell & Schmitz, Andrew, 1972. "International Trade in Intermediate and Final Goods: Some Welfare Implications of Destabilized Prices," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 86(3), pages 351-65, August.
- Amundsen, Eirik Schroder, 1991. "Seasonal fluctuations of demand and optimal inventories of a non-renewable resource such as natural gas," Resources and Energy, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 285-306, September.
- Brian D. Wright & Jeffrey C. Williams, 1982. "The Roles of Public and Private Storage in Managing Oil Import Disruptions," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 13(2), pages 341-353, Autumn.
- Just, Richard & Lutz, Ernst & Schmitz, Andrew & Turnovsky, Stephen, 1978. "The distribution of welfare gains from price stabilization : An international perspective," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 551-563, November.
- Hirschhausen, Christian von, 2008. "Infrastructure, regulation, investment and security of supply: A case study of the restructured US natural gas market," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 1-10, March.
- David J. Teece, 1990. "Structure and Organization of the Natural Gas Industry: Differences between the United States and the Federal Republic of Germany and Implications for the Carrier Status of Pipelines," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 3), pages 1-36.
- Pyatt, Graham, 1978. "Marginal Costs, Prices and Storage," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 88(352), pages 749-62, December.
- Wilson, Robert B, 1989. "Efficient and Competitive Rationing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(1), pages 1-40, January.
- MacAvoy, Paul W. & Pindyck, Robert S., 1973.
"Alternative regulatory policies for dealing with the natural gas shortage,"
659-73., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Paul W. MacAvoy & Robert S. Pindyck, 1973. "Alternative Regulatory Policies for Dealing with the Natural Gas Shortage," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 4(2), pages 454-498, Autumn.
- Uria, Rocio & Williams, Jeffrey C., 2005.
"The "supply-of-storage" for natural gas in California,"
2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI
19288, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Rocío Uría & Jeffrey Williams, 2007. "The Supply of Storage for Natural Gas in California," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 3), pages 31-50.
- Massell, Benton F, 1969. "Price Stabilization and Welfare," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 83(2), pages 284-98, May.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521326162 is not listed on IDEAS
- Modjtahedi, Bagher & Movassagh, Nahid, 2005. "Natural-gas futures: Bias, predictive performance, and the theory of storage," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 617-637, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:enepol:v:36:y:2008:i:11:p:4235-4246. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.