The Economics of Seasonal Gas Storage
We propose a model of seasonal gas markets which is flexibleenough to include supply and demand shocks while also consideringnatural gas as an exhaustible resource. Using US data, we estimate themodel’s structural parameters and test economically founded restrictions.We analyze, theoretically and using the estimates, the impactof policies (price caps, tariffs, cross subsidies) on prices and quantitiesconsumed or stored. This evaluation gives insights into past orenvisaged public interventions.
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 15 Boulevard Gabriel Peri 92245 Malakoff Cedex|
Phone: 01 41 17 60 81
Web page: http://www.crest.fr
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Modjtahedi, Bagher & Movassagh, Nahid, 2005. "Natural-gas futures: Bias, predictive performance, and the theory of storage," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 617-637, July.
- Bryan R. Routledge & Duane J. Seppi & Chester S. Spatt, 2000.
"Equilibrium Forward Curves for Commodities,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 55(3), pages 1297-1338, 06.
- Bryan Routledge & Duane Seppi & Chester Spatt, . "Equilibrium Forward Curves for Commodities," GSIA Working Papers 1997-50, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Bryan Routledge & Duane Seppi & Chester Spatt, . "Equilibrium Forward Curves for Commodities," GSIA Working Papers 1997-49, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Brian D. Wright & Jeffrey C. Williams, 1982. "The Roles of Public and Private Storage in Managing Oil Import Disruptions," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 13(2), pages 341-353, Autumn.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/5383 is not listed on IDEAS
- S. Devadoss, 1992. "Market Interventions, International Price Stabilization, and Welfare Implications," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 74(2), pages 281-290.
- Williams,Jeffrey C. & Wright,Brian D., 1991.
"Storage and Commodity Markets,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521326162, November.
- Uria, Rocio & Williams, Jeffrey C., 2005.
"The "supply-of-storage" for natural gas in California,"
2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI
19288, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Rocío Uría & Jeffrey Williams, 2007. "The Supply of Storage for Natural Gas in California," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 3), pages 31-50.
- Cremer, Helmuth & Gasmi, Farid & Laffont, Jean-Jacques, 2003. "Access to Pipelines in Competitive Gas Markets," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 24(1), pages 5-33, July.
- Newbery, D., 2005. "Why Tax Energy? Towards a More Rational Energy Policy," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0508, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Amundsen, Eirik Schroder, 1991. "Seasonal fluctuations of demand and optimal inventories of a non-renewable resource such as natural gas," Resources and Energy, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 285-306, September.
- MacAvoy, Paul W. & Pindyck, Robert S., 1973.
"Alternative regulatory policies for dealing with the natural gas shortage,"
659-73., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Paul W. MacAvoy & Robert S. Pindyck, 1973. "Alternative Regulatory Policies for Dealing with the Natural Gas Shortage," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 4(2), pages 454-498, Autumn.
- Richard E. Just & Ernst Lutz & Andrew Schmitz & Stephen Tumovsky, 1977. "The Distribution of Welfare Gains from International Price Stabilization under Distortions," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 59(4), pages 652-661.
- Just, Richard & Lutz, Ernst & Schmitz, Andrew & Turnovsky, Stephen, 1978. "The distribution of welfare gains from price stabilization : An international perspective," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 551-563, November.
- Wilson, Robert B, 1989. "Efficient and Competitive Rationing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(1), pages 1-40, January.
- Holbrook Working, 1948. "Theory of the Inverse Carrying Charge in Futures Markets," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 30(1), pages 1-28.
- Wright, Brian D & Williams, Jeffrey C, 1982. "The Economic Role of Commodity Storage," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 92(367), pages 596-614, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:crs:wpaper:2005-52. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Florian Sallaberry)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.