Pass-through of wholesale price to the end user retail price in the Norwegian electricity market
In this paper we estimate the pass-through of wholesale electricity price to the end consumer price with variable price contracts in the Norwegian electricity market using weekly data. We find substantial asymmetry when retailers pass on the impact of price changes in the wholesale market to the retail prices as price increases are transmitted more quickly than price decreases. By examining the cumulative adjustment function of price change, we identify that some dominant retailers might be exercising market power in the retail electricity market. For an average Norwegian household with variable price contract, the cost of asymmetric price pass-through due to 2.5Øre/kWh change in the wholesale price over the complete life of pass-through in a year reaches to a high of 2.28 NOK. This cost sums up to 3.8 million NOK for all the Norwegian households on variable price contracts for one time price change. To deal with this asymmetric price setting behavior, end consumers should switch to spot price contracts and make use of “smart grid” technologies.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Severin Borenstein & A. Colin Cameron, 1992.
"Do Gasoline Prices Respond Asymmetrically to Crude Oil Price Changes?,"
NBER Working Papers
4138, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Borenstein, Severin & Cameron, A Colin & Gilbert, Richard, 1997. "Do Gasoline Prices Respond Asymmetrically to Crude Oil Price Changes?," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 112(1), pages 305-39, February.
- Balke, Nathan S & Fomby, Thomas B, 1997.
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 38(3), pages 627-45, August.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Balke-Fomby threshold cointegration," Statistical Software Components RTZ00010, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Nathan S. Balke & Thomas B. Fomby, 1992. "Threshold cointegration," Research Paper 9209, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Ronald Johnson, 2002. "Search Costs, Lags and Prices at the Pump," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 20(1), pages 33-50, February.
- Littlechild, S., 2005.
"Competition and contracts in the Nordic Residential Electricity Markets,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
0550, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Littlechild, Stephen, 2006. "Competition and contracts in the Nordic residential electricity markets," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 135-147, September.
- Catherine D. Wolfram, 1999. "Measuring Duopoly Power in the British Electricity Spot Market," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(4), pages 805-826, September.
- Enders, Walter & Siklos, Pierre L, 2001.
"Cointegration and Threshold Adjustment,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 19(2), pages 166-76, April.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Enders-Siklos(2001) JBES paper on threshold cointegration," Statistical Software Components RTZ00053, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "ENDERSIKLOS: RATS procedure to perform Enders-Siklos test for cointegration with threshold effect," Statistical Software Components RTS00064, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Sam Peltzman, 2000.
"Prices Rise Faster than They Fall,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 108(3), pages 466-502, June.
- Sam Peltzman, 1998. "Prices Rise Faster Than They Fall," University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State 142, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- Ginsburgh, Victor & Michel, Philippe, 1988.
"Adjustment Costs, Concentration and Price Behaviour,"
Journal of Industrial Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 36(4), pages 477-81, June.
- Victor Ginsburgh & Philippe Michel, 1988. "Adjustment costs, concentration and price behaviour," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/1739, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- GINSBURGH, Victor & MICHEL, Philippe, . "Adjustment costs, concentration and price behaviour," CORE Discussion Papers RP -849, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Matteo Manera & Margherita Grasso, 2005.
"Asymmetric Error Correction Models for the Oil-Gasoline Price Relationship,"
2005.75, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Grasso, Margherita & Manera, Matteo, 2007. "Asymmetric error correction models for the oil-gasoline price relationship," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 156-177, January.
- J. Madsen & B. Yang, 1997.
"Asymmetric price adjustment in a men-cost model,"
Economics Discussion / Working Papers
97-06, The University of Western Australia, Department of Economics.
- Giliola Frey & Matteo Manera, 2007.
"Econometric Models Of Asymmetric Price Transmission,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 21(2), pages 349-415, 04.
- Matteo Manera & Giliola Frey, 2005. "Econometric Models of Asymmetric Price Transmission," Working Papers 2005.100, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Nils-Henrik M. Von Der Fehr & Petter Vegard Hansen, 2009.
"Electricity Retailing in Norway,"
EUI-RSCAS Working Papers
4, European University Institute (EUI), Robert Schuman Centre of Advanced Studies (RSCAS).
- von der Fehr, Nils-Henrik M. & Hansen, Petter Vegard, 2008. "Electricity Retailing in Norway," Memorandum 02/2009, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Nils-Henrik M. Von Der Fehr & Petter Vegard Hansen, 2009. "Electricity Retailing in Norway," RSCAS Working Papers 2009/04, European University Institute.
- Joskow, P. & Tirole, J., 2004.
"‘Retail Electricity Competition’,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
0430, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Paul Joskow & Jean Tirole, 2004. "Retail Electricity Competition," Working Papers 0409, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Center for Energy and Environmental Policy Research.
- Joskow, Paul & Tirole, Jean, 2004. "Retail Electricity Competition," IDEI Working Papers 311, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Paul L. Joskow & Jean Tirole, 2004. "Retail Electricity Competition," NBER Working Papers 10473, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Qin, Duo & Lu, Maozu, 1998.
" Dynamic Structure of Disequilibrium Models,"
Economic Change and Restructuring,
Springer, vol. 31(1), pages 15-27.
- Qin, D. & Lu, M., 1996. "Dynamic structure of disequilibrium models," Discussion Paper Series In Economics And Econometrics 9631, Economics Division, School of Social Sciences, University of Southampton.
- Borenstein, Severin & Bushnell, James & Knittel, Chris, 1999.
"Market Power in Electricity Markets: Beyond Concentration Measures,"
Staff General Research Papers
31548, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Severin Borenstein & James Bushnell & Christopher R. Knittel, 1999. "Market Power in Electricity Markets: Beyond Concentration Measures," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 4), pages 65-88.
- Diamond, Peter A., 1971. "A model of price adjustment," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 3(2), pages 156-168, June.
- Giulietti, Monica & Waterson, Michael & Wildenbeest, Matthijs R., 2010. "Estimation of Search Frictions in the British Electricity Market," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 940, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Chen, Li-Hsueh & Finney, Miles & Lai, Kon S., 2005. "A threshold cointegration analysis of asymmetric price transmission from crude oil to gasoline prices," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 89(2), pages 233-239, November.
- Michael C. Davis & James D. Hamilton, 2003.
"Why Are Prices Sticky? The Dynamics of Wholesale Gasoline Prices,"
NBER Working Papers
9741, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Davis, Michael C & Hamilton, James D, 2004. "Why Are Prices Sticky? The Dynamics of Wholesale Gasoline Prices," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 36(1), pages 17-37, February.
- Olsen, Ole Jess & Johnsen, Tor Arnt & Lewis, Philip, 2006. "A Mixed Nordic Experience: Implementing Competitive Retail Electricity Markets for Household Customers," The Electricity Journal, Elsevier, vol. 19(9), pages 37-44, November.
- Banerjee, Anindya & Dolado, Juan J. & Galbraith, John W. & Hendry, David, 1993. "Co-integration, Error Correction, and the Econometric Analysis of Non-Stationary Data," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198288107, March.
- Bettendorf, Leon & van der Geest, Stephanie A. & Varkevisser, Marco, 2003. "Price asymmetry in the Dutch retail gasoline market," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(6), pages 669-689, November.
- Bacon, Robert W., 1991. "Rockets and feathers: the asymmetric speed of adjustment of UK retail gasoline prices to cost changes," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 211-218, July.
- Littlechild, Stephen C, 2003. "Wholesale Spot Price Pass-Through," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 23(1), pages 61-91, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:eneeco:v:34:y:2012:i:6:p:2003-2012. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.