An Activity-Based Costing decision model for life cycle assessment in green building projects
Carbon emissions are an increasingly important consideration in sustainable environmental development. In the green building industry, green construction cost controls and low-carbon construction methods are considered to be the key barriers encountered. Based on Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) policy, management of carbon emissions from green building projects contributes to the acquisition of accurate building cost information and to a reduction in the environmental impact of these projects. This study focuses on the CO2 emission costs and low-carbon construction methods, and proposes a 0–1 mixed integer programming (0–1 MIP) decision model for integrated green building projects, using an Activity-Based Cost (ABC) and life cycle assessment (LCA) approach. The major contributions of this study are as follows: (1) the integrated model can help construction company managers to more accurately understand how to allocate resources and funding for energy saving activities to each green building through appropriate cost drivers; (2) this model provides a pre-construction decision-making tool which will assist management in bidding on environmentally-friendly construction projects; and (3) this study contributes to the innovation operation research (OR) literature, especially in regard to incorporating the life cycle assessment measurement into construction cost management by utilizing a mixed decision model for green building projects.
Volume (Year): 238 (2014)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eor|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kee, Robert, 2008. "The sufficiency of product and variable costs for production-related decisions when economies of scope are present," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 114(2), pages 682-696, August.
- Dekker, Rommert & Bloemhof, Jacqueline & Mallidis, Ioannis, 2012.
"Operations Research for green logistics – An overview of aspects, issues, contributions and challenges,"
European Journal of Operational Research,
Elsevier, vol. 219(3), pages 671-679.
- Dekker, R. & Bloemhof-Ruwaard, J.M. & Mallidis, I., 2011. "Operations Research for Green Logistics – An Overview of Aspects, Issues, Contributions and Challenges," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI2011-30, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Wendy Y. Chen & C.Y. Jim, 2011. "Resident valuation and expectation of the urban greening project in Zhuhai, China," Journal of Environmental Planning and Management, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 54(7), pages 851-869, October.
- Antunes, C.Henggeler & Martins, A.Gomes & Brito, Isabel Sofia, 2004. "A multiple objective mixed integer linear programming model for power generation expansion planning," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 613-627.
- Li, Y.P. & Huang, G.H. & Nie, X.H. & Nie, S.L., 2008. "A two-stage fuzzy robust integer programming approach for capacity planning of environmental management systems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 189(2), pages 399-420, September.
- Johansson, Bengt, 2006. "Climate policy instruments and industry--effects and potential responses in the Swedish context," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(15), pages 2344-2360, October.
- Lee, Cheng F. & Lin, Sue J. & Lewis, Charles, 2008. "Analysis of the impacts of combining carbon taxation and emission trading on different industry sectors," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 722-729, February.
- Tsai, Wen-Hsien & Lee, Kuen-Chang & Liu, Jau-Yang & Lin, Hsiu-Ling & Chou, Yu-Wei & Lin, Sin-Jin, 2012. "A mixed activity-based costing decision model for green airline fleet planning under the constraints of the European Union Emissions Trading Scheme," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 218-226.
- Chang, Yuan & Ries, Robert J. & Wang, Yaowu, 2010. "The embodied energy and environmental emissions of construction projects in China: An economic input-output LCA model," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(11), pages 6597-6603, November.
- Hoinka, Krzysztof & Ziębik, Andrzej, 2010. "Mathematical model for the choice of an energy management structure of complex buildings," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 1146-1156.
- Lin, Boqiang & Li, Xuehui, 2011. "The effect of carbon tax on per capita CO2 emissions," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(9), pages 5137-5146, September.
- Zheng, Guozhong & Jing, Youyin & Huang, Hongxia & Zhang, Xutao & Gao, Yuefen, 2009. "Application of Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) and extenics theory for building energy conservation assessment," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 34(11), pages 1870-1879.
- Absi, Nabil & Dauzère-Pérès, Stéphane & Kedad-Sidhoum, Safia & Penz, Bernard & Rapine, Christophe, 2013. "Lot sizing with carbon emission constraints," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 227(1), pages 55-61.
- Liu, Pei & Pistikopoulos, Efstratios N. & Li, Zheng, 2010. "An energy systems engineering approach to the optimal design of energy systems in commercial buildings," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(8), pages 4224-4231, August.
- Derigs, Ulrich & Illing, Stefan, 2013. "Does EU ETS instigate Air Cargo network reconfiguration? A model-based analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 225(3), pages 518-527.
- Wen-Hsien Tsai & Sin-Jin Lin & Ya-Fen Lee & Yao-Chung Chang & Jui-Ling Hsu, 2013. "Construction method selection for green building projects to improve environmental sustainability by using an MCDM approach," Journal of Environmental Planning and Management, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 56(10), pages 1487-1510, December.
- Kunsch, P. & Springael, J., 2008. "Simulation with system dynamics and fuzzy reasoning of a tax policy to reduce CO2 emissions in the residential sector," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 185(3), pages 1285-1299, March. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:238:y:2014:i:2:p:607-619. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.