A model for efficiency-based resource integration in services
Service processes, such as consulting, require coordinated efforts from the service recipient (client) and the service provider in order to deliver the desired output – a process known as resource integration. Client involvement directly affects the efficiency of service processes, thereby affecting capacity decisions. We present a mathematical model of the resource-integration decision for a service process through which the client and the service provider co-produce resource outputs. This workforce planning model is unique because we include the extent of client involvement as a policy variable and introduce to the resource-planning model efficiency and quality performance measures, which are functions of client involvement. The optimization of resource planning for services produces interesting policy prescriptions due to the presence of a client-modulated efficiency function in the capacity constraint and subjective client value placed on participation in the service process. The primary results of this research are optimal decision rules that provide insights into the optimal levels of client involvement and provider commitment in resource integration.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Beasley, J. E., 2003. "Allocating fixed costs and resources via data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 147(1), pages 198-216, May.
- Bordoloi, Sanjeev K. & Matsuo, Hirofumi, 2001. "Human resource planning in knowledge-intensive operations: A model for learning with stochastic turnover," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 130(1), pages 169-189, April.
- Charles C. Holt & Franco Modigliani & John F. Muth, 1956. "Derivation of a Linear Decision Rule for Production and Employment," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 2(2), pages 159-177, January.
- Wallace J. Hopp & Eylem Tekin & Mark P. Van Oyen, 2004. "Benefits of Skill Chaining in Serial Production Lines with Cross-Trained Workers," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 50(1), pages 83-98, January.
- Cheryl Gaimon & Gerald L. Thompson, 1984. "A Distributed Parameter Cohort Personnel Planning Model That Uses Cross-Sectional Data," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(6), pages 750-764, June.
- Cheryl Gaimon, 1997. "Planning Information Technology--Knowledge Worker Systems," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 43(9), pages 1308-1328, September.
- Boaz Golany & Eran Tamir, 1995. "Evaluating Efficiency-Effectiveness-Equality Trade-Offs: A Data Envelopment Analysis Approach," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 41(7), pages 1172-1184, July.
- Charles C. Holt & Franco Modigliani & Herbert A. Simon, 1955. "A Linear Decision Rule for Production and Employment Scheduling," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 2(1), pages 1-30, October.
- Gerard M. Campbell, 1999. "Cross-Utilization of Workers Whose Capabilities Differ," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 45(5), pages 722-732, May.
- Athanassopoulos, Antreas D., 1995. "Goal programming & data envelopment analysis (GoDEA) for target-based multi-level planning: Allocating central grants to the Greek local authorities," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 87(3), pages 535-550, December.
- Guillaume Roels & Uday S. Karmarkar & Scott Carr, 2010. "Contracting for Collaborative Services," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 56(5), pages 849-863, May.
- Janice E. Carrillo & Cheryl Gaimon, 2004. "Managing Knowledge-Based Resource Capabilities Under Uncertainty," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 50(11), pages 1504-1518, November.
- Antreas D. Athanassopoulos, 1998. "Decision Support for Target-Based Resource Allocation of Public Services in Multiunit and Multilevel Systems," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 44(2), pages 173-187, February.
- Pekka Korhonen & Mikko Syrjänen, 2004. "Resource Allocation Based on Efficiency Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 50(8), pages 1134-1144, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:217:y:2012:i:2:p:439-447. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.