Manufacturing performance measurement and target setting: A data envelopment analysis approach
Manufacturing decision makers have to deal with a large number of reports and metrics for evaluating the performance of manufacturing systems. Since the metrics provide different and at times conflicting assessments, it is hard for the manufacturing decision makers to track and improve overall manufacturing system performance. This research presents a data envelopment analysis (DEA) based approach for performance measurement and target setting of manufacturing systems. The approach is applied to two different manufacturing environments. The performance peer groups identified using DEA are utilized to set performance targets and to guide performance improvement efforts. The DEA scores are checked against past process modifications that led to identified performance changes. Limitations of the DEA based approach are presented when considering measures that are influenced by factors outside of the control of the manufacturing decision makers. The potential of a DEA based generic performance measurement approach for manufacturing systems is provided.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Saranga, Haritha, 2009. "The Indian auto component industry - Estimation of operational efficiency and its determinants using DEA," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 196(2), pages 707-718, July.
- Triantis, Konstantinos & Sarangi, Sudipta & Kuchta, Dorota, 2003. "Fuzzy pair-wise dominance and fuzzy indices: An evaluation of productive performance," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 144(2), pages 412-428, January.
- Cook, Wade D. & Green, Rodney H., 2004. "Multicomponent efficiency measurement and core business identification in multiplant firms: A DEA model," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 157(3), pages 540-551, September.
- Duzakin, Erkut & Duzakin, Hatice, 2007. "Measuring the performance of manufacturing firms with super slacks based model of data envelopment analysis: An application of 500 major industrial enterprises in Turkey," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 182(3), pages 1412-1432, November.
- Seiford, Lawrence M. & Zhu, Joe, 2002. "Modeling undesirable factors in efficiency evaluation," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 142(1), pages 16-20, October.
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- Chen, Chien-Ming, 2009. "A network-DEA model with new efficiency measures to incorporate the dynamic effect in production networks," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 194(3), pages 687-699, May.
- Fare, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna & Zaim, Osman, 2002. "Hyperbolic efficiency and return to the dollar," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 136(3), pages 671-679, February.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Sheu, D. Daniel & Peng, Shiao-Lan, 2003. "Assessing manufacturing management performance for notebook computer plants in Taiwan," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 84(2), pages 215-228, May.
- Fare, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna, 2000. "Network DEA," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 35-49, March.
- Zhu, Joe, 1996. "Robustness of the efficient DMUs in data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 90(3), pages 451-460, May.
- Ertay, Tijen & Ruan, Da, 2005. "Data envelopment analysis based decision model for optimal operator allocation in CMS," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 164(3), pages 800-810, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:214:y:2011:i:3:p:616-626. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.