Modeling and analysis of build-to-order supply chains
The build-to-order supply chain (BTO-SC) or make-to-order (MTO) system has received a great deal of attention in recent years because of the success of high-tech companies such as Dell, BMW, Compaq, and Gateway. Some auto companies have also implemented BTO-SC. Quite a few research articles have been written on BTO-SC and MTO. However, those that explicitly address the problems of BTO-SCM with modeling are rather limited in number. Considering the growing importance of more informed and timely decision making in these areas, there is a need to encourage further research on the modeling and analysis of global outsourcing, optimization between product variants and the cost of production, the point of differentiation along the production/assembly process, the selection of suppliers, logistics costs, and customer relationship management. Traditional operations research models have been used to solve supply chain management problems. Considering the importance of BTO or MTO, an attempt has been made to review the selected literature on the modeling and analysis of BTO-SC with the objectives of providing assistance to and motivating both researchers and practitioners to design, develop, and manage BTO-SC effectively; and suggesting some future research directions on BTO supply chain management (BTO-SCM). The literature available on BTO-SCM has been classified based on the nature of the decision-making areas and then sub-classified to focus on solving problems with modeling and analysis. We have focused mostly on the modeling aspect of the BTO-SC, but have not extended our efforts to empirical research. We have developed a unified framework for modeling and analyzing BTO-SCM and suggest some future research directions.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Grieger, Martin, 2003. "Electronic marketplaces: A literature review and a call for supply chain management research," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 144(2), pages 280-294, January.
- Goetschalckx, Marc & Vidal, Carlos J. & Dogan, Koray, 2002. "Modeling and design of global logistics systems: A review of integrated strategic and tactical models and design algorithms," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 143(1), pages 1-18, November.
- Agarwal, Ashish & Shankar, Ravi & Tiwari, M.K., 2006. "Modeling the metrics of lean, agile and leagile supply chain: An ANP-based approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 173(1), pages 211-225, August.
- Vernon Ning Hsu & Chung Yee Lee & Kut C. So, 2006. "Optimal Component Stocking Policy for Assemble-to-Order Systems with Lead-Time-Dependent Component and Product Pricing," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 52(3), pages 337-351, March.
- Yue, Xiaohang & Liu, John, 2006. "Demand forecast sharing in a dual-channel supply chain," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 174(1), pages 646-667, October.
- Eric Logan Huggins & Tava Lennon Olsen, 2003. "Supply Chain Management with Guaranteed Delivery," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 49(9), pages 1154-1167, September.
- Hsu, Hsi-Mei & Wang, Wen-Pai, 2004. "Dynamic programming for delayed product differentiation," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 156(1), pages 183-193, July.
- Hau L. Lee & Kut C. So & Christopher S. Tang, 2000. "The Value of Information Sharing in a Two-Level Supply Chain," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 46(5), pages 626-643, May.
- Vidal, Carlos J. & Goetschalckx, Marc, 1997. "Strategic production-distribution models: A critical review with emphasis on global supply chain models," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 98(1), pages 1-18, April.
- Preyas Desai & Sunder Kekre & Suresh Radhakrishnan & Kannan Srinivasan, 2001. "Product Differentiation and Commonality in Design: Balancing Revenue and Cost Drivers," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(1), pages 37-51, January.
- Jayashankar M. Swaminathan & Sridhar R. Tayur, 2003. "Models for Supply Chains in E-Business," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 49(10), pages 1387-1406, October.
- Taylor Randall & Karl Ulrich, 2001. "Product Variety, Supply Chain Structure, and Firm Performance: Analysis of the U.S. Bicycle Industry," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(12), pages 1588-1604, December.
- Kathryn E. Stecke & Xuying Zhao, 2007. "Production and Transportation Integration for a Make-to-Order Manufacturing Company with a Commit-to-Delivery Business Mode," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 9(2), pages 206-224, September.
- Frank Chen & Zvi Drezner & Jennifer K. Ryan & David Simchi-Levi, 2000. "Quantifying the Bullwhip Effect in a Simple Supply Chain: The Impact of Forecasting, Lead Times, and Information," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 46(3), pages 436-443, March.
- Yossi Aviv, 2001. "The Effect of Collaborative Forecasting on Supply Chain Performance," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(10), pages 1326-1343, October.
- Yossi Aviv, 2007. "On the Benefits of Collaborative Forecasting Partnerships Between Retailers and Manufacturers," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 53(5), pages 777-794, May.
- Romeijn, H. Edwin & Shu, Jia & Teo, Chung-Piaw, 2007. "Designing two-echelon supply networks," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 178(2), pages 449-462, April.
- Stephen C. Graves & Brian T. Tomlin, 2003. "Process Flexibility in Supply Chains," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 49(7), pages 907-919, July.
- Karen L. Donohue, 2000. "Efficient Supply Contracts for Fashion Goods with Forecast Updating and Two Production Modes," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 46(11), pages 1397-1411, November.
- Ananth V. Iyer & Vinayak Deshpande & Zhengping Wu, 2003. "A Postponement Model for Demand Management," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 49(8), pages 983-1002, August.
- Elie Ofek & Miklos Sarvary, 2001. "Leveraging the Customer Base: Creating Competitive Advantage Through Knowledge Management," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(11), pages 1441-1456, November.
- Biswas, S. & Narahari, Y., 2004. "Object oriented modeling and decision support for supply chains," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 153(3), pages 704-726, March.
- Albert Y. Ha & Lode Li & Shu-Ming Ng, 2003. "Price and Delivery Logistics Competition in a Supply Chain," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 49(9), pages 1139-1153, September.
- Olhager, Jan & Ostlund, Bjorn, 1990. "An integrated push-pull manufacturing strategy," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 45(2-3), pages 135-142, April.
- Tyan, Jonah C. & Wang, Fu-Kwun & Du, Timon C., 2003. "An evaluation of freight consolidation policies in global third party logistics," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 55-62, February.
- Hau L. Lee & Christopher S. Tang, 1997. "Modelling the Costs and Benefits of Delayed Product Differentiation," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 43(1), pages 40-53, January.
- S. Rajagopalan, 2002. "Make to Order or Make to Stock: Model and Application," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 48(2), pages 241-256, February.
- Charles J. Corbett & Uday S. Karmarkar, 2001. "Competition and Structure in Serial Supply Chains with Deterministic Demand," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(7), pages 966-978, July.
- Fangruo Chen & Awi Federgruen & Yu-Sheng Zheng, 2001. "Coordination Mechanisms for a Distribution System with One Supplier and Multiple Retailers," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(5), pages 693-708, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:195:y:2009:i:2:p:319-334. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.