Build-to-order supply chain network design under supply and demand uncertainties
Supply chain disruptions are unintended, unwanted situations resulting in a negative supply chain performance. We study the supply chain network design under supply and demand uncertainty with embedded supply chain disruption mitigation strategies, postponement with downward substitution, centralized stocking and supplier sourcing base. We designed an integrated supply-side, manufacturing and demand-side operations network in such that the total expected operating cost is minimized. We modeled it in a deterministic equivalent formulation. An L-shaped decomposition with an additional decomposition step in the master problem is proposed. The computational results showed that parallel sourcing has a cost advantage against single sourcing under supply disruptions. In addition, the build-to-order (BTO) manufacturing mitigation process has its greatest impact with high variations on demands and is integrated with the component downward substitution. Lastly, the manufacturer needs to order differentiated components to cover its requirement for maximal product demand to prevent the loss of sale, even with fewer modules in stock.
Volume (Year): 45 (2011)
Issue (Month): 8 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/548/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Burke, Gerard J. & Carrillo, Janice E. & Vakharia, Asoo J., 2007. "Single versus multiple supplier sourcing strategies," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 182(1), pages 95-112, October.
- Kathryn E. Stecke & Xuying Zhao, 2007. "Production and Transportation Integration for a Make-to-Order Manufacturing Company with a Commit-to-Delivery Business Mode," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 9(2), pages 206-224, September.
- Schütz, Peter & Tomasgard, Asgeir & Ahmed, Shabbir, 2009. "Supply chain design under uncertainty using sample average approximation and dual decomposition," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 199(2), pages 409-419, December.
- Santoso, Tjendera & Ahmed, Shabbir & Goetschalckx, Marc & Shapiro, Alexander, 2005. "A stochastic programming approach for supply chain network design under uncertainty," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 167(1), pages 96-115, November.
- Gunasekaran, Angappa & Ngai, Eric W.T., 2009. "Modeling and analysis of build-to-order supply chains," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 195(2), pages 319-334, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:transb:v:45:y:2011:i:8:p:1162-1176. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.