ARCH/GARCH with persistent covariate: Asymptotic theory of MLE
The paper considers a volatility model which introduces a persistent, integrated or near-integrated, covariate to the standard GARCH(1, 1) model. For such a model, we derive the asymptotic theory of the quasi-maximum likelihood estimator. In particular, we establish consistency and obtain limit distribution. The limit distribution is generally non-Gaussian and represented as a functional of Brownian motions. However, it becomes Gaussian if the covariate has innovation uncorrelated with the squared innovation of the model or the volatility function is linear in parameter. We provide a simulation study to demonstrate the relevance and usefulness of our asymptotic theory.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lumsdaine, Robin L, 1996. "Consistency and Asymptotic Normality of the Quasi-maximum Likelihood Estimator in IGARCH(1,1) and Covariance Stationary GARCH(1,1) Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(3), pages 575-96, May.
- Nelson, Daniel B, 1991. "Conditional Heteroskedasticity in Asset Returns: A New Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(2), pages 347-70, March.
- Weiss, Andrew A., 1986. "Asymptotic Theory for ARCH Models: Estimation and Testing," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 2(01), pages 107-131, April.
- R. F. Engle & A. J. Patton, 2001. "What good is a volatility model?," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 1(2), pages 237-245.
- Gray, Stephen F., 1996.
"Modeling the conditional distribution of interest rates as a regime-switching process,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 27-62, September.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Gray's 1996 Regime Switching GARCH paper," Statistical Software Components RTZ00080, Boston College Department of Economics.
- He, Changli & Ter svirta, Timo, 1999. "FOURTH MOMENT STRUCTURE OF THE GARCH(p,q) PROCESS," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 15(06), pages 824-846, December.
- Joon Y. Park & Peter C. B. Phillips, 1999.
"Nonlinear Regressions with Integrated Time Series,"
Working Paper Series
no6, Institute of Economic Research, Seoul National University.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," EERI Research Paper Series EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Hagiwara, May & Herce, Miguel A, 1999. "Endogenous Exchange Rate Volatility, Trading Volume and Interest Rate Differentials in a Model of Portfolio Selection," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(2), pages 202-18, May.
- Park, Joon Y., 2002. "Nonstationary nonlinear heteroskedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 110(2), pages 383-415, October.
- Han, Heejoon & Park, Joon Y., 2008.
"Time series properties of ARCH processes with persistent covariates,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 146(2), pages 275-292, October.
- Han, Heejoon & Park, Joon Y., 2006. "Time series properties of ARCH processes with persistent covariates," MPRA Paper 5199, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Glosten, Lawrence R & Jagannathan, Ravi & Runkle, David E, 1993.
" On the Relation between the Expected Value and the Volatility of the Nominal Excess Return on Stocks,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 48(5), pages 1779-1801, December.
- Lawrence R. Glosten & Ravi Jagannathan & David E. Runkle, 1993. "On the relation between the expected value and the volatility of the nominal excess return on stocks," Staff Report 157, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Francq, Christian & Zakoian, Jean-Michel, 2007. "Quasi-maximum likelihood estimation in GARCH processes when some coefficients are equal to zero," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 117(9), pages 1265-1284, September.
- Lee, Sang-Won & Hansen, Bruce E., 1994. "Asymptotic Theory for the Garch(1,1) Quasi-Maximum Likelihood Estimator," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 10(01), pages 29-52, March.
- Park, Joon, 2003. "Weak Unit Roots," Working Papers 2003-17, Rice University, Department of Economics.
- Jensen, S ren Tolver & Rahbek, Anders, 2004. "Asymptotic Inference For Nonstationary Garch," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 20(06), pages 1203-1226, December.
- Nelson, Daniel B., 1990. "Stationarity and Persistence in the GARCH(1,1) Model," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 6(03), pages 318-334, September.
- Giraitis, Liudas & Robinson, Peter M., 2001. "Whittle Estimation Of Arch Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 17(03), pages 608-631, June.
- Søren Tolver Jensen & Anders Rahbek, 2004. "Asymptotic Normality of the QMLE Estimator of ARCH in the Nonstationary Case," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 72(2), pages 641-646, 03.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:econom:v:167:y:2012:i:1:p:95-112. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.