Asymptotic distributions of impulse response functions in short panel vector autoregressions
This paper establishes the asymptotic distributions of the impulse response functions in panel vector autoregressions with a fixed time dimension. It also proves the asymptotic validity of a bootstrap approximation to their sampling distributions. The autoregressive parameters are estimated using the GMM estimators based on the first differenced equations and the error variance is estimated using an extended analysis-of-variance type estimator. Contrary to the time series setting, we find that the GMM estimator of the autoregressive coefficients is not asymptotically independent of the error variance estimator. The asymptotic dependence calls for variance correction for the orthogonalized impulse response functions. Simulation results show that the variance correction improves the coverage accuracy of both the asymptotic confidence band and the studentized bootstrap confidence band for the orthogonalized impulse response functions.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Holtz-Eakin, Douglas & Newey, Whitney & Rosen, Harvey S, 1988.
"Estimating Vector Autoregressions with Panel Data,"
Econometric Society, vol. 56(6), pages 1371-95, November.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to demonstrate IV estimation of VAR in panel data," Statistical Software Components RTZ00185, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Bénédicte Vidaillet & V. D'Estaintot & P. Abécassis, 2005. "Introduction," Post-Print hal-00287137, HAL.
- Ahn, Seung C. & Schmidt, Peter, 1995. "Efficient estimation of models for dynamic panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 5-27, July.
- Bun, Maurice J.G. & Kiviet, Jan F., 2006.
"The effects of dynamic feedbacks on LS and MM estimator accuracy in panel data models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 132(2), pages 409-444, June.
- Maurice J.G. Bun & Jan F. Kiviet, 2002. "The Effects of Dynamic Feedbacks on LS and MM Estimator Accuracy in Panel Data Models," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 02-101/4, Tinbergen Institute, revised 19 Feb 2004.
- Simon Gilchrist & Charles P. Himmelberg & Gur Huberman, 2004.
"Do stock price bubbles influence corporate investment?,"
177, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Gilchrist, Simon & Himmelberg, Charles P. & Huberman, Gur, 2005. "Do stock price bubbles influence corporate investment?," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(4), pages 805-827, May.
- Gur Huberman & Simon Gilchrist & Charles Himmelberg, 2004. "Do Stock Price Bubbles Influence Corporate Investment?," 2004 Meeting Papers 147, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Simon Gilchrist & Charles P. Himmelberg & Gur Huberman, 2004. "Do Stock Price Bubbles Influence Corporate Investment?," NBER Working Papers 10537, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael Binder & Cheng Hsiao & M. Hashem Pesaran, 2000.
"Estimation and Inference In Short Panel Vector Autoregressions with Unit Roots And Cointegration,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
374, CESifo Group Munich.
- Binder, Michael & Hsiao, Cheng & Pesaran, M. Hashem, 2005. "Estimation And Inference In Short Panel Vector Autoregressions With Unit Roots And Cointegration," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 21(04), pages 795-837, August.
- Binder, M. & Hsaio, C. & Pesaran, M.H., 2000. "Estimation and Inference in Short Panel Vector Autoregressions with Unit Roots and Cointegration," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0003, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Michael Binder, Cheng Hsiao, and M. Hashem Pesaran, 2001. "Estimation and Inference in Short Panel Vector Autoregressions with Unit Roots and Cointegration," Computing in Economics and Finance 2001 36, Society for Computational Economics.
- Michael Binder & Cheng Hsiao & M. Hashem Pesaran, 2000. "Estimation and Inference in Short Panel Vector Autoregressions with Unit Roots and Cointegration," Working Papers 0005, Banco de España;Working Papers Homepage.
- Love, Inessa & Zicchino, Lea, 2002. "Financial development and dynamic investment behavior : evidence from panel vector autoregression," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2913, The World Bank.
- Anderson, T. W. & Hsiao, Cheng, 1982. "Formulation and estimation of dynamic models using panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 47-82, January.
- Lutkepohl, Helmut, 1990. "Asymptotic Distributions of Impulse Response Functions and Forecast Error Variance Decompositions of Vector Autoregressive Models," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 72(1), pages 116-25, February.
- Arellano, Manuel, 2003. "Panel Data Econometrics," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199245291, December.
- Lutkepohl, Helmut, 1989. "A note on the asymptotic distribution of impulse response functions of estimated var models with orthogonal residuals," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 371-376, November.
- Manuel Arellano & Stephen Bond, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 58(2), pages 277-297.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Baillie, Richard T., 1987. "Inference in dynamic models containing 'surprise' variables," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 101-117, May.
- Hansen, Lars Peter, 1982. "Large Sample Properties of Generalized Method of Moments Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 1029-54, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:econom:v:163:y:2011:i:2:p:127-143. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.