Nonparametric least squares estimation in derivative families
Cost function estimation often involves data on a function and a family of its derivatives. Such data can substantially improve convergence rates of nonparametric estimators. We propose series-type estimators which incorporate the various derivative data into a single nonparametric least-squares procedure. Convergence rates are obtained and it is shown that for low-dimensional cases, much of the beneficial impact is realized even if only data on ordinary first-order partials are available. In instances where root-n consistency is attained, smoothing parameters can often be chosen very easily, without resort to cross-validation. Simulations and an illustration of cost function estimation are included.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yatchew,Adonis, 2003.
"Semiparametric Regression for the Applied Econometrician,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521812832, November.
- Yatchew,Adonis, 2003. "Semiparametric Regression for the Applied Econometrician," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521012263, November.
- Spokoiny, Vladimir, 2002. "Variance Estimation for High-Dimensional Regression Models," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 82(1), pages 111-133, July.
- Florens, Jean-Pierre & Ivaldi, Marc & Larribeau, Sophie, 1996. "Sobolev Estimation of Approximate Regressions," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(05), pages 753-772, December.
- Jianqing Fan & Qiwei Yao, 1998. "Efficient estimation of conditional variance functions in stochastic regression," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 6635, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Eric Gautier & Yuichi Kitamura, 2008.
"Nonparametric Estimation in Random Coefficients Binary Choice Models,"
2008-15, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Eric Gautier & Yuichi Kitamura, 2013. "Nonparametric Estimation in Random Coefficients Binary Choice Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 81(2), pages 581-607, 03.
- Eric Gautier & Yuichi Kitamura, 2009. "Nonparametric Estimation in Random Coefficients Binary Choice Models," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1721, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Eric Gautier & Yuichi Kitamura, 2011. "Nonparametric estimation in random coefficients binary choice models," Working Papers hal-00403939, HAL.
- Jorgenson, Dale W., 1986. "Econometric methods for modeling producer behavior," Handbook of Econometrics, in: Z. Griliches† & M. D. Intriligator (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 31, pages 1841-1915 Elsevier.
- Hendriks, Harrie, 2003. "Application of fast spherical Fourier transform to density estimation," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 84(2), pages 209-221, February.
- Pelletier, Bruno, 2005. "Kernel density estimation on Riemannian manifolds," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 73(3), pages 297-304, July.
- Hall, Peter, 1984. "Central limit theorem for integrated square error of multivariate nonparametric density estimators," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 1-16, February.
- McFadden, Daniel, 1978. "Cost, Revenue, and Profit Functions," Histoy of Economic Thought Chapters, in: Fuss, Melvyn & McFadden, Daniel (ed.), Production Economics: A Dual Approach to Theory and Applications, volume 1, chapter 1 McMaster University Archive for the History of Economic Thought.
- Axel Munk & Nicolai Bissantz & Thorsten Wagner & Gudrun Freitag, 2005. "On difference-based variance estimation in nonparametric regression when the covariate is high dimensional," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 67(1), pages 19-41.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:econom:v:157:y:2010:i:2:p:362-374. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.