Inference on transformed stationary time series
The paper is about an approach for parametric inference on instantaneously transformed stationary processes. The paper discusses the asymptotics of the Whittle estimator of the parameters involved and also provides the explicit expression of the asymptotic covariance matrix which does not necessarily require the innovation Gaussianity assumption. As a specific instantaneous transformation, the paper introduces a new version of the Box-Cox transformation and investigates in detail the vector ARMA processes implemented by that transformation, proposing a computation-intensive procedure for parametric estimation and testing. As a computationally feasible test not relying upon the knowledge of the explicit analytic form of the asymptotic covariance matrix or on the information equality, the paper proposes a Monte Carlo Wald test, providing illustrative simulation and real-data examples.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- de Jong, Robert M., 2003. "Logarithmic spurious regressions," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 13-21, October.
- Russell Davidson & James G. MacKinnon, 1981.
"Model Specification Tests Based on Artificial Linear Regressions,"
426, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Davidson, Russell & MacKinnon, James G, 1984. "Model Specification Tests Based on Artificial Linear Regressions," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 25(2), pages 485-502, June.
- Russell Davidson & James G. MacKinnon, 1980. "Model Specification Tests Based on Artificial Linear Regressions," Working Papers 390, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Pollard, David, 1985. "New Ways to Prove Central Limit Theorems," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 1(03), pages 295-313, December.
- Yang, Zhenlin, 2006. "A modified family of power transformations," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 92(1), pages 14-19, July.
- Amemiya, Takeshi, 1977. "The Maximum Likelihood and the Nonlinear Three-Stage Least Squares Estimator in the General Nonlinear Simultaneous Equation Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 45(4), pages 955-968, May.
- Davidson, Russell & MacKinnon, James G., 1993. "Estimation and Inference in Econometrics," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195060119, December.
- MacKinnon, James G & Magee, Lonnie, 1990. "Transforming the Dependent Variable in Regression Models," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 31(2), pages 315-339, May.
- Robinson, P M, 1991. "Best Nonlinear Three-Stage Least Squares Estimation of Certain Econometric Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(3), pages 755-786, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:econom:v:151:y:2009:i:2:p:129-139. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.