Asymptotics and Bootstrap for Transformed Panel Data Regressions
This paper investigates the asymptotic properties of quasi-maximum likelihood estimators for transformed random effects models where both the response and (some of) the covariates are subject to transformations for inducing normality, flexible functional form, homoscedasticity, and simple model structure. We develop a quasi maximum likelihood-type procedure for model estimation and inference. We prove the consistency and asymptotic normality of the parameter estimates, and propose a simple bootstrap procedure that leads to a robust estimate of the variance-covariance matrix. Monte Carlo results reveal that these estimates perform well in finite samples, and that the gains by using bootstrap procedure for inference can be enormous.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: JG Crawford Building #13, Asia Pacific School of Economics and Government, Australian National University, ACT 0200|
Web page: http://www.eaber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yang, Z.L. & Tse, Y.K., 2007. "A Corrected Plug-in Method for Quantile Interval Construction Through a Transformed Regression," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 25, pages 356-376, July.
- Davidson, James, 1994. "Stochastic Limit Theory: An Introduction for Econometricians," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198774037.
- Frees,Edward W., 2004. "Longitudinal and Panel Data," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521535380, February.
- Davidson, Russell & MacKinnon, James G., 1993. "Estimation and Inference in Econometrics," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195060119.
- Andrews, Donald W.K., 1992.
"Generic Uniform Convergence,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 8(02), pages 241-257, June.
- Donald W.K. Andrews, 1990. "Generic Uniform Convergence," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 940, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Potscher, Benedikt M & Prucha, Ingmar R, 1989. "A Uniform Law of Large Numbers for Dependent and Heterogeneous Data Processes," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(3), pages 675-683, May.
- Potscher, Benedikt M. & Prucha, Ingmar R., 1987. "A Uniform Law of Large Numbers for Dependent and Heterogeneous Data Process," Working Papers 87-26, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Baltagi, Badi H., 1997. "Testing linear and loglinear error components regressions against Box-Cox alternatives," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 63-68, April.
- Frees,Edward W., 2004. "Longitudinal and Panel Data," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521828284, February.
- Andrews, Donald W K, 1987. "Consistency in Nonlinear Econometric Models: A Generic Uniform Law of Large Numbers [On Unification of the Asymptotic Theory of Nonlinear Econometric Models]," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(6), pages 1465-1471, November.
- Baltagi, Badi H. & Li, Qi, 1992. "A monotonic property for iterative GLS in the two-way random effects model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 53(1-3), pages 45-51.
- Konstantinos Giannakas & Kien C. Tran & Vangelis Tzouvelekas, 2003. "On the choice of functional form in stochastic frontier modeling," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 28(1), pages 75-100, January.
- H. Kelejian, Harry & Prucha, Ingmar R., 2001. "On the asymptotic distribution of the Moran I test statistic with applications," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 104(2), pages 219-257, September.
- Harry H. Kelejian & Ingmar R. Prucha, 1999. "On the Asymptotic Distribution of the Moran I Test Statistic with Applications," Electronic Working Papers 99-002, University of Maryland, Department of Economics.
- Yang, Zhenlin & Tsui, Albert K., 2004. "Analytically calibrated Box-Cox percentile limits for duration and event-time models," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 649-677, December.
- Abrevaya, Jason, 1999. "Leapfrog estimation of a fixed-effects model with unknown transformation of the dependent variable," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 93(2), pages 203-228, December.
- Yang, Zhenlin, 2006. "A modified family of power transformations," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 92(1), pages 14-19, July. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eab:develo:22477. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shiro Armstrong)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.