Expectations and chaotic dynamics: Empirical evidence on exchange rates
The paper investigates the dynamic behavior of exchange rates expectations using four different currencies. The test follows developments advanced by Fernández-Rodriguez et al. [Fernández-Rodriguez, F., Sosvilla-Rivero, S., Andrada-Félix, J., 2005. Testing chaotic dynamics via Lyapunov exponents. Journal of Applied Econometrics, 20, 911-930.]. The evidence, however, does not favor the presence of chaotic dynamics in exchange rate expectations.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bajo-Rubio, Oscar & Fernandez-Rodriguez, Fernando & Sosvilla-Rivero, Simon, 1992. "Chaotic behaviour in exchange-rate series : First results for the Peseta--U.S. dollar case," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 207-211, June.
- Fernando Fernández-Rodríguez & Simón Sosvilla-Rivero & Julián Andrada-Félix, "undated".
"Testing Chaotic Dynamics via Lyapunov Exponents,"
- Paul Grauwe & Hans Dewachter, 1993. "A chaotic model of the exchange rate: The role of fundamentalists and chartists," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 4(4), pages 351-379, December.
- Chappell, David, 1997. "Chaotic Behaviour in a Simple Model of Inflation," The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies, University of Manchester, vol. 65(3), pages 235-243, June.
- Frank, Murray Z. & Stengos, Thanasis, 1988. "Some evidence concerning macroeconomic chaos," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 423-438.
- Sergio Da Silva, 2001. "Chaotic Exchange Rate Dynamics Redux," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 12(3), pages 281-304, July.
- Resende, Marcelo, 2000. "Nonlinear Dynamics in Expectations: An Empirical Study," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(2), pages 167-173, April.
- Swarna Dutt & Dipak Ghosh, 1997. "Are experts' expectations rational? A multicurrency analysis," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(6), pages 803-812.
- Catherine Kyrtsou & Walter C. Labys & Michel Terraza, 2004. "Noisy chaotic dynamics in commodity markets," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 29(3), pages 489-502, 09.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecolet:v:99:y:2008:i:1:p:33-35. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.