Effects of supervision on tax compliance: Evidence from a field experiment in Austria
We conduct a field experiment on tax compliance, focusing on newly founded firms. As a novelty the effect of tax authorities’ supervision on timely tax payments is examined. Interestingly, results show no positive overall effect of close supervision on tax compliance.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James Alm & Benno Torgler, 2004.
"Culture Differences and Tax Morale in the United States and in Europe,"
CREMA Working Paper Series
2004-14, Center for Research in Economics, Management and the Arts (CREMA).
- Alm, James & Torgler, Benno, 2006. "Culture differences and tax morale in the United States and in Europe," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 224-246, April.
- James Andreoni & Brian Erard & Jonathan Feinstein, 1998.
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 36(2), pages 818-860, June.
- Charles Christian & Joel Slemrod & Marsha Blumenthal, 2001.
"Taxpayer response to an increased probability of audit: Evidence from a controlled experiment in minnesota,"
Natural Field Experiments
00332, The Field Experiments Website.
- Slemrod, Joel & Blumenthal, Marsha & Christian, Charles, 2001. "Taxpayer response to an increased probability of audit: evidence from a controlled experiment in Minnesota," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 79(3), pages 455-483, March.
- Engström, Per & Holmlund, Bertil, 2006.
"Tax Evasion and Self-Employment in a High-Tax Country: Evidence from Sweden,"
Working Paper Series
2006:12, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Per Engstrom & Bertil Holmlund, 2009. "Tax evasion and self-employment in a high-tax country: evidence from Sweden," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(19), pages 2419-2430.
- Per Engström & Bertil Holmlund, 2006. "Tax Evasion and Self-Employment in a High-Tax Country: Evidence from Sweden," CESifo Working Paper Series 1736, CESifo Group Munich.
- Mittone, Luigi, 2006.
"Dynamic behaviour in tax evasion: An experimental approach,"
Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics),
Elsevier, vol. 35(5), pages 813-835, October.
- Luigi Mittone, 2002. "Dynamic behaviours in tax evasion. An experimental approach," CEEL Working Papers 0203, Cognitive and Experimental Economics Laboratory, Department of Economics, University of Trento, Italia.
- Gneezy, Uri & Rustichini, Aldo, 2000.
"A Fine is a Price,"
The Journal of Legal Studies,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 29(1), pages 1-17, January.
- Blumenthal, Marsha & Christian, Charles W. & Slemrod, Joel, 2001. "Do Normative Appeals Affect Tax Compliance? Evidence from a Controlled Experiment in Minnesota," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 54(n. 1), pages 125-38, March.
- Lars P. Feld & Bruno S. Frey, .
"Trust Breeds Trust: How Taxpayers are Treated,"
IEW - Working Papers
098, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Kirchler, Erich & Hoelzl, Erik & Wahl, Ingrid, 2008. "Enforced versus voluntary tax compliance: The "slippery slope" framework," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 210-225, April.
- Torgler, Benno, 2002. " Speaking to Theorists and Searching for Facts: Tax Morale and Tax Compliance in Experiments," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(5), pages 657-83, December.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521876742 is not listed on IDEAS
- Henrik Jacobsen Kleven & Martin B. Knudsen & Claus Thustrup Kreiner & Søren Pedersen & Emmanuel Saez, 2011. "Unwilling or Unable to Cheat? Evidence From a Tax Audit Experiment in Denmark," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 79(3), pages 651-692, 05.
- Benno Torgler, 2004.
"Moral Suasion: An alternative tax policy strategy? Evidence from a controlled field experiment in Switzerland,"
CREMA Working Paper Series
2004-01, Center for Research in Economics, Management and the Arts (CREMA).
- Benno Torgler, 2004. "Moral suasion: An alternative tax policy strategy? Evidence from a controlled field experiment in Switzerland," Economics of Governance, Springer, vol. 5(3), pages 235-253, November.
- Sascha O. Becker & Andrea Ichino, 2002. "Estimation of average treatment effects based on propensity scores," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 2(4), pages 358-377, November.
- James Alm & Chandler McClellan, 2012.
"Tax Morale and Tax Compliance from the Firm's Perspective,"
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 65(1), pages 1-17, 02.
- James Alm & Chandler McClellan, 2012. "Tax Morale and Tax Compliance from the Firm's Perspective," Working Papers 1211, Tulane University, Department of Economics.
- Frey, Bruno S, 1997. "A Constitution for Knaves Crowds Out Civic Virtues," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 107(443), pages 1043-53, July.
- James Alm & Benno Torgler, 2011.
"Do Ethics Matter? Tax Compliance and Morality,"
Journal of Business Ethics,
Springer, vol. 101(4), pages 635-651, July.
- Allingham, Michael G. & Sandmo, Agnar, 1972. "Income tax evasion: a theoretical analysis," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(3-4), pages 323-338, November.
- Erard, Brian, 1993. "Taxation with representation : An analysis of the role of tax practitioners in tax compliance," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 163-197, September.
- Srinivasan, T. N., 1973. "Tax evasion: A model," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(4), pages 339-346.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecolet:v:123:y:2014:i:3:p:378-382. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.