Government debt in the euro area—Evidence from dynamic factor analysis
This paper shows that an unobserved common factor drives the co-movement of government debt in the euro area. The old-age dependency ratio explains the factor after controlling for the Maastricht Treaty, the adoption of the euro, and the ongoing crisis.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Checherita-Westphal, Cristina & Rother, Philipp, 2010. "The impact of high and growing government debt on economic growth: an empirical investigation for the euro area," Working Paper Series 1237, European Central Bank.
- Mario Crucini & Ayhan Kose & Christopher Otrok, 2011.
"What are the driving forces of international business cycles?,"
Review of Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 14(1), pages 156-175, January.
- Mario J. Crucini & M. Ayhan Kose & Christopher Otrok, 2008. "What Are the Driving Forces of International Business Cycles?," Vanderbilt University Department of Economics Working Papers 0815, Vanderbilt University Department of Economics.
- Christopher Otrok & Ayhan Kose & Mario J. Crucini, 2009. "What are the driving forces of international business cycles," 2009 Meeting Papers 820, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Mario J. Crucini & M. Ayhan Kose & Christopher Otrok, 2008. "What Are the Driving Forces of International Business Cycles?," NBER Working Papers 14380, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mario Crucini & Ayhan Khose & Christopher Otrok, 2010. "Code and data files for "What are the driving forces of international business cycles?"," Computer Codes 09-43, Review of Economic Dynamics.
- Norrbin, Stefan C. & Schlagenhauf, Don E., 1996. "The role of international factors in the business cycle: A multi-country study," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(1-2), pages 85-104, February.
- Crucini, Mario J, 1997. "Country Size and Economic Fluctuations," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 5(2), pages 204-220, May.
- Albanese, Giuseppe & Modica, Salvatore, 2010. "Co-movement of public spending in the G7," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 109(2), pages 121-123, November.
- Watson, Mark W. & Engle, Robert F., 1983. "Alternative algorithms for the estimation of dynamic factor, mimic and varying coefficient regression models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 385-400, December. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecolet:v:115:y:2012:i:2:p:272-275. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.