The impact of issuing warrant and debt on behavior of the firm's stock
Unlike options, warrant issuance changes the distribution of the stock price process. Indeed, firms issuing warrants are also debt financed. In this situation, it is natural to consider the distribution of the stock price process for a firm, which is debt–warrant combination. This paper is devoted to provide a risk-management tool, namely the stock price distribution of a firm issuing both debt and warrants. We also apply the theoretical results to the risk-management. Moreover, some empirical studies are given to illustrate the impact of issuing warrants and debt on the stock price distribution. The empirical evidence confirms the theoretical findings and shows that issuing warrants and debt has effects on the distribution of stock price processes.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Darsinos, T. & Satchell, S.E., 2002. "The Implied Distribution for Stocks of Companies with Warrants and/or Executive Stock Options," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0217, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Jun Yu, 2007.
"Simulation-based Estimation of Contingent-claims Prices,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1596, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Peter C. B. Phillips & Jun Yu, 2009. "Simulation-Based Estimation of Contingent-Claims Prices," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 22(9), pages 3669-3705, September.
- Peter C. B. Phillips & Jun Yu, 2008. "Simulation-based Estimation of Contingent-claims Prices," Finance Working Papers 22473, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Chen, K. C. & Wu, Lifan, 2001. "Introduction and expiration effects of derivative equity warrants in Hong Kong," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 37-52.
- Wei Xiong & Jialin Yu, 2011.
"The Chinese Warrants Bubble,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 101(6), pages 2723-2753, October.
- Durai, S. Raja Sethu & Bhaduri, Saumitra N., 2009. "Stock prices, inflation and output: Evidence from wavelet analysis," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 1089-1092, September.
- Xiao, Weilin & Zhang, Weiguo & Xu, Weijun & Zhang, Xili, 2012. "The valuation of equity warrants in a fractional Brownian environment," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 391(4), pages 1742-1752.
- Merton, Robert C., 1973.
"On the pricing of corporate debt: the risk structure of interest rates,"
684-73., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Merton, Robert C, 1974. "On the Pricing of Corporate Debt: The Risk Structure of Interest Rates," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 29(2), pages 449-470, May.
- Chan, Yue-cheong & Wei, K. C. John, 2001. "Price and volume effects associated with derivative warrant issuance on the Stock Exchange of Hong Kong," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(8), pages 1401-1426, August.
- Jui-Jane Chang & Szu-Lang Liao, 2010. "Warrant introduction effects on stock return processes," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(17), pages 1377-1395.
- Schulz, G. Uwe & Trautmann, Siegfried, 1994. "Robustness of option-like warrant valuation," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(5), pages 841-859, October.
- Álvarez, Luis J. & Hurtado, Samuel & Sánchez, Isabel & Thomas, Carlos, 2011.
"The impact of oil price changes on Spanish and euro area consumer price inflation,"
Elsevier, vol. 28(1-2), pages 422-431, January.
- Álvarez, Luis J. & Hurtado, Samuel & Sánchez, Isabel & Thomas, Carlos, 2011. "The impact of oil price changes on Spanish and euro area consumer price inflation," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 422-431.
- Luis J. Álvarez & Samuel Hurtado & Isabel Sánchez & Carlos Thomas, 2009. "The impact of oil price changes on Spanish and euro area consumer price inflation," Occasional Papers 0904, Banco de España;Occasional Papers Homepage.
- Merton, Robert C., 1975.
"Option pricing when underlying stock returns are discontinuous,"
787-75., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Merton, Robert C., 1976. "Option pricing when underlying stock returns are discontinuous," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(1-2), pages 125-144.
- Galai, Dan & Schneller, Meir I, 1978. "Pricing of Warrants and the Value of the Firm," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 33(5), pages 1333-1342, December.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-654, May-June.
- Lauterbach, Beni & Schultz, Paul, 1990. " Pricing Warrants: An Empirical Study of the Black-Scholes Model and Its Alternatives," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 45(4), pages 1181-1209, September.
- K. C. Chen & Xing-Hao Liao, 2010. "Expiration Effects of Covered Warrants in China," Chinese Economy, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 43(6), pages 54-75, November.
- Andrey D. Ukhov, 2004. "Warrant Pricing Using Observable Variables," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 27(3), pages 329-339.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecmode:v:31:y:2013:i:c:p:635-641. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.