Dilution and Dividend Effects on the Portuguese Equity Warrants Market
The aim of this study is to analyse the impact of dilution and dividends on the goodness of fit of warrant pricing valuation models, to the Portuguese warrants market. In order to avoid modelling bias over the research design, and to test dividend and dilution effects we decided to keep this empirical research under the Black-Scholes framework. Therefore, four pricing models were used: the original Black-Scholes model and three derivations. Using these four models we empirically estimate values for actual warrant prices, computing the mean percentage error for each (the difference between model prices and market prices). We found that the original Black-Scholes model when adjusted to account for dilution as well as for dividends works best in the Portuguese market. The analysis uses data collected from the Euronext - Lisbon, between 1998 and 2000.
Volume (Year): XIII (2008)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Rua do Quelhas 6, 1200-781 LISBOA|
Phone: +351-213 925 800
Fax: +351-213 925 850
Web page: http://www.iseg.ulisboa.pt/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Leonard, David C & Solt, Michael E, 1990. "On Using the Black-Scholes Model to Value Warrants," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 13(2), pages 81-92, Summer.
- Spatt, Chester S & Sterbenz, Frederic P, 1988. " Warrant Exercise, Dividends, and Reinvestment Policy," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 43(2), pages 493-506, June.
- Galai, Dan & Schneller, Meir I, 1978. "Pricing of Warrants and the Value of the Firm," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 33(5), pages 1333-42, December.
- Shastri, Kuldeep & Sirodom, Kulpatra, 1995. "An empirical test of the BS and CSR valuation models for warrants listed in Thailand," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 465-483, December.
- Lauterbach, Beni & Schultz, Paul, 1990. " Pricing Warrants: An Empirical Study of the Black-Scholes Model and Its Alternatives," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 45(4), pages 1181-209, September.
- Schulz, G. Uwe & Trautmann, Siegfried, 1994. "Robustness of option-like warrant valuation," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(5), pages 841-859, October.
- Robert C. Merton, 2005.
"Theory of rational option pricing,"
World Scientific Book Chapters,
in: Theory Of Valuation, chapter 8, pages 229-288
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Wei, Jason Z, 1995. "Empirical Tests of the Pricing of Nikkei Put Warrants," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 30(2), pages 211-41, May.
- Whaley, Robert E., 1981. "On the valuation of American call options on stocks with known dividends," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 207-211, June.
- Andrey D. Ukhov, 2004. "Warrant Pricing Using Observable Variables," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 27(3), pages 329-339.
- Geske, Robert, 1981. "Comments on Whaley's note," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 213-215, June.
- Huang, Yu Chuan & Chen, Shing Chun, 2002. "Warrants pricing: Stochastic volatility vs. Black-Scholes," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 393-409, September.
- Constantinides, George M., 1984. "Warrant exercise and bond conversion in competitive markets," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 371-397, September.
- Geske, Robert, 1979. "A note on an analytical valuation formula for unprotected American call options on stocks with known dividends," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 375-380, December.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-54, May-June.
- Emanuel, David C., 1983. "Warrant valuation and exercise strategy," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 211-235, August.
- Bierman, Harold, 1973. "The Cost of Warrants," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 8(03), pages 499-503, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pjm:journl:v:xiii:y:2008:i:2:p:161-192. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Luís Mota de Castro, Tiago Cardão-Pito, Mark Crathorne)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.