Macroeconomic dynamics in Macedonia and Slovakia: Structural estimation and comparison
This paper estimates a structural macroeconomic model using data for Macedonia and Slovakia to characterize possible challenges Macedonia can face concerning macroeconomic stabilization during its transition process. A comparison of the estimated model parameters suggests that, in Slovakia, the output gap is less sensitive to real interest rate movements and prices experience greater inertia. The estimated monetary policy reaction functions show Macedonia and Slovakia as inflation targeters, with Macedonia as the more conservative one, despite its officially applied exchange rate targeting regime. The differences in the estimated parameters imply differing transmission mechanisms for Macedonia and Slovakia. Consequently, the variance of domestic variables in Slovakia is most influenced by monetary policy shocks, while there is no single dominating shock explaining the volatility of Macedonia's macroeconomic variables. The exchange rate shock, the monetary policy shock and the demand shock are jointly important in determining the volatility of Macedonia's variables. The model simulations indicate that Macedonia experiences lower output gap and inflation volatility than Slovakia. This comes, nevertheless, at the cost of higher interest rate and real exchange rate volatility in Macedonia, which could be an indication of more volatile financial markets with possible negative implications for financial stability.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sungbae An & Frank Schorfheide, 2007.
"Bayesian Analysis of DSGE Models,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 26(2-4), pages 113-172.
- Julio J. Rotemberg, 1982. "Monopolistic Price Adjustment and Aggregate Output," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 49(4), pages 517-531.
- Juraj Zeman & Matus Senaj, 2009. "DSGE Model-Slovakia," Working and Discussion Papers WP 3/2009, Research Department, National Bank of Slovakia.
- Pierpaolo Benigno, 2009.
"Price Stability with Imperfect Financial Integration,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 41(s1), pages 121-149, 02.
- Pierpaolo Benigno, 2008. "Price stability with imperfect financial integration," Proceedings, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Benigno, Pierpaolo, 2001. "Price Stability with Imperfect Financial Integration," CEPR Discussion Papers 2854, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Daniel O. Beltran & David Draper, 2008. "Estimating the parameters of a small open economy DSGE model: identifiability and inferential validity," International Finance Discussion Papers 955, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Melecky, Martin & Najdov, Evgenij, 2008.
"Comparing Constraints to Economic Stabilization in Macedonia and Slovakia: Macro Estimates with Micro Narratives,"
9786, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Martin Melecky & Evgenij Najdov, 2010. "Comparing constraints to economic stabilization in Macedonia and Slovakia: macroestimates with micronarratives," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(9), pages 681-699.
- Melecky, Martin & Najdov, Evgenij, 2008. "Comparing constraints to economic stabilization in Macedonia and Slovakia: macro estimates with micro narratives," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4691, The World Bank.
- Andrew B. Abel, 1990.
"Asset Prices under Habit Formation and Catching up with the Joneses,"
NBER Working Papers
3279, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Abel, Andrew B, 1990. "Asset Prices under Habit Formation and Catching Up with the Joneses," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(2), pages 38-42, May.
- Andrew B. Abel, . "Asset Prices Under Habit Formation and Catching Up With the Jones," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 01-90, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- A. Abel, 2010. "Asset prices under habit formation and catching up with the Jones," Levine's Working Paper Archive 1395, David K. Levine.
- Andrew B. Abel, . "Asset Prices Under Habit Formation and Catching Up With the Jones," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 1-90, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Abel, A.B., 1990. "Asset Prices Under Habit Formation And Catching Up With The Joneses," Weiss Center Working Papers 1-90, Wharton School - Weiss Center for International Financial Research.
- Benigno, Gianluca & Benigno, Pierpaolo & Ghironi, Fabio, 2007.
"Interest rate rules for fixed exchange rate regimes,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 31(7), pages 2196-2211, July.
- Gianluca Benigno & Pierpaolo Benigno & Fabio Ghironi, 2000. "Interest Rate Rules for Fixed Exchange Rate Regimes," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 468, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 13 Oct 2003.
- Garbis Iradian, 2007. "Rapid Growth in the CIS; Panel Regression Approach," IMF Working Papers 07/170, International Monetary Fund.
- Paolo Giordani, 2004. "Evaluating New-Keynesian Models of a Small Open Economy," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 66(s1), pages 713-733, 09.
- Borek Vasícek, 2009.
"Inflation dynamics and the New Keynesian Phillips curve in EU-4,"
wpdea0912, Department of Applied Economics at Universitat Autonoma of Barcelona.
- Borek Vašícek, 2011. "Inflation Dynamics and the New Keynesian Phillips Curve in Four Central European Countries," Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 47(5), pages 71-100, September.
- Borek Vasicek, 2009. "Inflation dynamics and the New Keynesian Phillips curve in EU-4," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp971, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Hnatkovska, Viktoria & Loayza, Norman, 2004. "Volatility and growth," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3184, The World Bank.
- Jordi Galí & Mark Gertler, 1998.
"Inflation dynamics: A structural econometric analysis,"
Economics Working Papers
341, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Gali, Jordi & Gertler, Mark, 1999. "Inflation dynamics: A structural econometric analysis," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 195-222, October.
- Jordi Gali & Mark Gertler, 2000. "Inflation Dynamics: A Structural Econometric Analysis," NBER Working Papers 7551, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Thomas Lubik & Frank Schorfheide, 2003.
"Do Central Banks Respond to Exchange Rate Movements? A Structural Investigation,"
Economics Working Paper Archive
505, The Johns Hopkins University,Department of Economics.
- Lubik, Thomas A. & Schorfheide, Frank, 2007. "Do central banks respond to exchange rate movements? A structural investigation," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(4), pages 1069-1087, May.
- Frank Smets & Raf Wouters, 2003.
"An Estimated Dynamic Stochastic General Equilibrium Model of the Euro Area,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
MIT Press, vol. 1(5), pages 1123-1175, 09.
- Frank Smets & Raf Wouters, 2002. "An estimated dynamic stochastic general equilibrium model of the euro area," Working Paper Research 35, National Bank of Belgium.
- Lars E. O. Svensson, 2000.
"Open-Economy Inflation Targeting,"
NBER Working Papers
6545, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Svensson, L.E.O., 1998. "Open-Economy Inflation Targeting," Papers 638, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Svensson, Lars E O, 1998. "Open-Economy Inflation Targeting," CEPR Discussion Papers 1989, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Svensson, Lars E.O., 1998. "Open-Economy Inflation Targeting," Seminar Papers 638, Stockholm University, Institute for International Economic Studies.
- Sims, Christopher A, 2002.
"Solving Linear Rational Expectations Models,"
Society for Computational Economics, vol. 20(1-2), pages 1-20, October.
- Christopher Sims, 2001. "Matlab Code for Solving Linear Rational Expectations Models," QM&RBC Codes 11, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Alejandro Justiniano & Bruce Preston, 2009.
"Monetary policy and uncertainty in an empirical small open economy model,"
Working Paper Series
WP-09-21, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Alejandro Justiniano & Bruce Preston, 2010. "Monetary policy and uncertainty in an empirical small open-economy model," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(1), pages 93-128.
- Adolfson, Malin, 2001.
"Monetary Policy with Incomplete Exchange Rate Pass-Through,"
SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
476, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Adolfson, Malin, 2001. "Monetary Policy with Incomplete Exchange Rate Pass-Through," Working Paper Series 127, Sveriges Riksbank (Central Bank of Sweden).
- Adolfson, Malin & Laséen, Stefan & Lindé, Jesper & Villani, Mattias, 2008. "Empirical Properties Of Closed- And Open-Economy Dsge Models Of The Euro Area," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(S1), pages 2-19, April.
- Lindé, Jesper, 2001.
"Estimating New-Keynesian Phillips Curves: A Full Information Maximum Likelihood Approach,"
Working Paper Series
129, Sveriges Riksbank (Central Bank of Sweden), revised 30 Apr 2001.
- Linde, Jesper, 2005. "Estimating New-Keynesian Phillips curves: A full information maximum likelihood approach," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(6), pages 1135-1149, September.
- Ricardo Caballero & Kevin Cowan, 2006. "Financial Integration Without the Volatility," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 387, Central Bank of Chile.
- Benigno, Gianluca & Benigno, Pierpaolo, 2006.
"Designing targeting rules for international monetary policy cooperation,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 53(3), pages 473-506, April.
- Benigno, Gianluca & Benigno, Pierpaolo, 2003. "Designing targeting rules for international monetary policy cooperation," Working Paper Series 0279, European Central Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecmode:v:29:y:2012:i:4:p:1377-1387. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.