From passive welfare to community governance: Youth NGOs in Australia and Scotland
This study examines two regional youth welfare agencies in different parts of the world that have independently from each other begun to redevelop their organisations within a community governance framework. This means that they are involved in an arena of public decision making about local resources that extends beyond local state services to embrace those activities that involve either the provision of public services as part of the community, or the representation of community interests to the broader policy community. The two agencies used in this study are Brophy Family and Youth Services in Warrnambool, Australia, that services southwest Victoria and Aberdeen Foyer in the regional city of Aberdeen, Scotland that services the rural hinterland. While these agencies are pursuing the same path towards a community governance approach they have adopted different strategies to achieve their aims. Using these two agencies as exemplars this paper outlines a conceptual model that helps to provide an understanding of an emerging community governance framework in the welfare sector.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Marsh & Martin Smith, 2000. "Understanding Policy Networks: towards a Dialectical Approach," Political Studies, Political Studies Association, vol. 48(1), pages 4-21, 03.
- John Quiggin, 2005.
"Economic liberalism: fall, revival and resistance,"
Australian Public Policy Program Working Papers
WP3P05, Risk and Sustainable Management Group, University of Queensland.
- Quiggin, John, 2005. "Economic liberalism: fall, revival and resistance," Risk and Sustainable Management Group Working Papers 151508, University of Queensland, School of Economics.
- Oecd, 2005. "Multilevel Regulatory Governance," OECD Papers, OECD Publishing, vol. 5(2), pages 1-84.
- Oecd, 2005. "Governance of Banks in China," Financial Market Trends, OECD Publishing, vol. 2005(2), pages 67-108.
- Oecd, 2005. "Guidelines for Insurers' Governance," Financial Market Trends, OECD Publishing, vol. 2005(2), pages 183-212.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:cysrev:v:32:y:2010:i:3:p:430-436. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.