How do firms adjust director compensation?
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Brick, Ivan E. & Palmon, Oded & Wald, John K., 2006. "CEO compensation, director compensation, and firm performance: Evidence of cronyism?," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 403-423, June.
- Garvey, Gerald T. & Milbourn, Todd T., 2006. "Asymmetric benchmarking in compensation: Executives are rewarded for good luck but not penalized for bad," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 82(1), pages 197-225, October.
- Hayes, Rachel M. & Schaefer, Scott, 1999. "How much are differences in managerial ability worth?," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 125-148, April.
- Ryan, Harley Jr. & Wiggins, Roy III, 2004. "Who is in whose pocket? Director compensation, board independence, and barriers to effective monitoring," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 73(3), pages 497-524, September.
- Agrawal, Anup & Walkling, Ralph A, 1994. " Executive Careers and Compensation Surrounding Takeover Bids," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(3), pages 985-1014, July.
- Mason Gerety & Chun-Keung Hoi & Ashok Robin, 2001. "Do Shareholders Benefit from the Adoption of Incentive Pay for Directors?," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 30(4), Winter.
- Stephen F. O'Byrne, 1995. "Total Compensation Strategy," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 8(2), pages 77-86.
- Eliezer M. Fich & Anil Shivdasani, 2005. "The Impact of Stock-Option Compensation for Outside Directors on Firm Value," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 78(6), pages 2229-2254, November.
- Baysinger, Barry D & Zardkoohi, Asghar, 1986. "Technology, Residual Claimants, and Corporate Control," Journal of Law, Economics, and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 2(2), pages 339-349, Fall.
- Lucian A. Bebchuk & Yaniv Grinstein & Urs Peyer, 2006. "Lucky Directors," NBER Working Papers 12811, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David Yermack, 2004. "Remuneration, Retention, and Reputation Incentives for Outside Directors," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 59(5), pages 2281-2308, October.
- Linn, Scott C. & Park, Daniel, 2005. "Outside director compensation policy and the investment opportunity set," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 680-715, September.
- David A. Becher & Terry L. Campbell II & Melissa B. Frye, 2005.
"Incentive Compensation for Bank Directors: The Impact of Deregulation,"
The Journal of Business,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 78(5), pages 1753-1778, September.
- David A. Becher & Terry L. Campbell & Melissa B. Frye, 2003. "Incentive compensation for bank directors: the impact of deregulation," Proceedings 871, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Core, John E. & Larcker, David F., 2002. "Performance consequences of mandatory increases in executive stock ownership," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(3), pages 317-340, June.
- Brian J. Hall, 1999. "The Design Of Multi-Year Stock Option Plans," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 12(2), pages 97-106.
- Heron, Randall A. & Lie, Erik, 2007. "Does backdating explain the stock price pattern around executive stock option grants?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 83(2), pages 271-295, February.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- repec:eee:corfin:v:45:y:2017:i:c:p:566-585 is not listed on IDEAS
- Martin Bugeja & Stephanie Fohn & Zoltan Matolcsy & Neil Fargher, 2016. "Determinants of the levels and changes in non-executive director compensation," Accounting and Finance, Accounting and Finance Association of Australia and New Zealand, vol. 56(3), pages 627-667, September.
- Ming-Yuan Chen, 2010. "The Components Of Managerial Pay Adjustments And Their Impact On Firm Performance," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 78(6), pages 582-608, December.
- Lars Oxelheim & Kevin Clarkson, 2015. "Cronyism and the Determinants of Chairman Compensation," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 131(1), pages 69-87, September.
- Chen, Ming-Yuan, 2010. "Managerial pay adjustments: Decomposition and impact on firm productive efficiency," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 196-207, January.
- repec:eee:corfin:v:48:y:2018:i:c:p:816-839 is not listed on IDEAS
- Shin-Rong Shiah-Hou & Chin-Wei Cheng, 2012. "Outside director experience, compensation, and performance," Managerial Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 38(10), pages 914-938, August.
- Engel, Ellen & Hayes, Rachel M. & Wang, Xue, 2010. "Audit committee compensation and the demand for monitoring of the financial reporting process," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(1-2), pages 136-154, February.
- Sharma, Vineeta, 2011. "Independent directors and the propensity to pay dividends," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 1001-1015, September.
- Mahroo Irani & Mahroo Irani & Mehdi Safari Gerayeli, 2017. "Relationship between Corporate Governance and CEO Compensation among Listed Firms in Tehran Stock Exchange," International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues, Econjournals, vol. 7(1), pages 285-292.
- Dong Chen, 2014. "The Non-monotonic Effect of Board Independence on Credit Ratings," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer;Western Finance Association, vol. 45(2), pages 145-171, April.
- Chang, Millicent & Watson, Iain, 2015. "Delayed disclosure of insider trades: Incentives for and indicators of future performance?," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 35(PA), pages 182-197.
- Cardinaels, Eddy, 2009. "Governance in non-for-profit hospitals: Effects of board members' remuneration and expertise on CEO compensation," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 93(1), pages 64-75, November.
- Hüttenbrink, Alexander & Oehmichen, Jana & Rapp, Marc Steffen & Wolff, Michael, 2014. "Pay-for-performance – Does one size fit all? A multi-country study of Europe and the United States," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 23(6), pages 1179-1192.
- Mallin, Chris & Melis, Andrea & Gaia, Silvia, 2015. "The remuneration of independent directors in the UK and Italy: An empirical analysis based on agency theory," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 175-186.
More about this item
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:corfin:v:14:y:2008:i:2:p:153-162. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jcorpfin .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.