Evolutionary paths toward a region-wide economic agreement in Asia
The creation of a region-wide economic agreement in Asia has become a hot topic among trade policymakers in the region. The Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) 2010 Summit Statement clearly states that members should pursue a Free Trade Area of the Asia-Pacific (FTAAP) by building on various ongoing regional cooperation frameworks including the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN)+3, ASEAN+6, and the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP). This paper attempts to streamline the policy arguments over sequencing issues by clarifying the pros and cons of various paths toward a future region-wide agreement in Asia. The paper presents two possible approaches: consolidation versus expansion. It then identifies how the two approaches differ in terms of evolutionary parameters including the timing of negotiations, scope of agreement, and development of membership. The driving forces behind the evolution of regional agreements in each approach are also clarified. The second half of the paper analyzes three possible paths toward a region-wide agreement—ASEAN+α free trade agreements, TPP, and the Asia-Pacific Trade Agreement (APTA)—in terms of both evolutionary parameters and driving forces.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Krueger, Anne O., 1997.
"Free trade agreements versus customs unions,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 54(1), pages 169-187, October.
- Yunling Zhang & Minghui Shen, 2011. "The Status of East Asian Free Trade Agreements," Trade Working Papers 23254, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Busch, Marc L., 2007. "Overlapping Institutions, Forum Shopping, and Dispute Settlement in International Trade," International Organization, Cambridge University Press, vol. 61(04), pages 735-761, October.
- Park, Innwon & Park, Soonchan, 2009. "Consolidation and Harmonization of Regional Trade Agreements (RTAs): A Path Toward Global Free Trade," MPRA Paper 14217, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 23 Mar 2009.
- Lucian Cernat, 2001. "ASSESSING REGIONAL TRADE ARRANGEMENTS: ARE SOUTH–SOUTH RTAs MORE TRADE DIVERTING?," International Trade 0109001, EconWPA.
- Siow Yue Chia, 2010. "Trade and Investment Policies and Regional Economic Integration in East Asia," Working Papers id:2993, eSocialSciences.
- Richard Baldwin, 2006.
"Multilateralising Regionalism: Spaghetti Bowls as Building Blocs on the Path to Global Free Trade,"
NBER Working Papers
12545, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Richard E. Baldwin, 2006. "Multilateralising Regionalism: Spaghetti Bowls as Building Blocs on the Path to Global Free Trade," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(11), pages 1451-1518, November.
- Baldwin, Richard, 2006. "Multilateralising Regionalism: Spaghetti Bowls as Building Blocs on the Path to Global Free Trade," CEPR Discussion Papers 5775, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Richard Baldwin, 2007. "Multilateralising Regionalism: Sphagetti Bowls as building Blocs on the Path to Global Free Trade," Working Papers id:1231, eSocialSciences.
- Jayant Menon, 2009. "Dealing with the Proliferation of Bilateral Free Trade Agreements," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(10), pages 1381-1407, October.
- Downs, George W. & Rocke, David M. & Barsoom, Peter N., 1998. "Managing the Evolution of Multilateralism," International Organization, Cambridge University Press, vol. 52(02), pages 397-419, March.
- Kahler, Miles, 1992. "Multilateralism with small and large numbers," International Organization, Cambridge University Press, vol. 46(03), pages 681-708, June.
- Trejos Alberto, 2005. "Bilateral and Regional Free Trade Agreements, and Their Relationship with the WTO and the Doha Development Agenda," Global Economy Journal, De Gruyter, vol. 5(4), pages 1-11, December.
- Walter F. Hatch, 2004. "Japan's Agenda for Asian Regionalism: Industrial Harmonization, Not Free Trade," Japanese Economy, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 32(2), pages 86-97, July.
- Abbott, Kenneth W. & Keohane, Robert O. & Moravcsik, Andrew & Slaughter, Anne-Marie & Snidal, Duncan, 2000. "The Concept of Legalization," International Organization, Cambridge University Press, vol. 54(03), pages 401-419, June.
- Sarath Rajapatirana, 1995.
"The Evolution of Trade Treaties and Trade Creation: Lessons for Latin America,"
_005, World Bank Latin America and the Caribean Region Department.
- Rajapatirana, Sarath, 1994. "The evolution of trade treaties and trade creation : lessons for Latin America," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1371, The World Bank.
- Will Bartlett, 2009. "Regional integration and free-trade agreements in the Balkans: opportunities, obstacles and policy issues," Economic Change and Restructuring, Springer, vol. 42(1), pages 25-46, May.
- Kelley, Judith, 2010. "The Role of Membership Rules in Regional Organizations," Working Papers on Regional Economic Integration 53, Asian Development Bank.
- Richard Baldwin, 1993.
"A Domino Theory of Regionalism,"
NBER Working Papers
4465, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kelegama, Saman, 2001. "Bangkok agreement and BIMSTEC: crawling regional economic groupings in Asia," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 105-121.
- Yunling Zhang & Minghui Shen, 2011. "The Status of East Asian Free Trade Agreements," Governance Working Papers 23254, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Olivier Cadot & Jaime de Melo & Marcelo Olarreaga, 2002. "Harmonizing External Quotas in an FTA: A Step Backward?," Economics and Politics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(3), pages 259-282, November.
- Gilligan, Michael J., 2004. "Is There a Broader-Deeper Trade-off in International Multilateral Agreements?," International Organization, Cambridge University Press, vol. 58(03), pages 459-484, July.
- Zhang, Yunling & Shen, Minghui, 2011. "The Status of East Asian Free Trade Agreements," ADBI Working Papers 282, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- Chia, Siow Yue, 2010. "Trade and Investment Policies and Regional Economic Integration in East Asia," ADBI Working Papers 210, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- Anne O. Krueger, 1999. "Are Preferential Trading Arrangements Trade-Liberalizing or Protectionist?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 13(4), pages 105-124, Fall.
- Baldwin, Richard E. & Venables, Anthony J., 1995. "Regional economic integration," Handbook of International Economics, in: G. M. Grossman & K. Rogoff (ed.), Handbook of International Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 31, pages 1597-1644 Elsevier.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:asieco:v:23:y:2012:i:4:p:383-394. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.